'Ghostbusters 3' Gets Delayed as Sony Fails to Greenlight the Sequel!

The long awaited third chapter in this horror comedy franchise was set to shoot in the summer of 2013, but Sony won't make a final decision until this spring.
Ghostbusters 3 still not a go at Sony Sony
Ghostbusters 3 still not a go at Sony Sony
Two weeks ago, it was announced that production on the long-awaited horror comedy sequel Ghostbusters 3 was set to begin this comming summer. After numerous delays and set backs, this follow-up seemed to finally be on the right track.

Sadly (or maybe gladly), it's being widely reported today that Sony has failed to greenlight this troubled franchise sequel. The studio won't make a final decision on whether or not they will move forward until this spring, which would push shooting out of the summer and into the late fall for a projected 2014 release.

Ivan Reitman is still attached to direct from a screenplay by Etan Cohen, with Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis, and Sigourney Weaver all reprising their roles from the first two movies. We also reported in August that Bill Murray has dropped out for good (but, hey, that could change, because it has in the past).

The story will reportedly revolve around a new team of Ghostbusters who are taught the trade by the returning cast members.

Ghostbusters comes to theaters in 2016.

1. Vanboy

Damn! You know what, just frikin' kill it already. I'm so done with this movie, that I won't even see it if it comes out. Bill Murray on and off, Murray might be a ghost, the script gets tossed because Murray doesn't like it, blah, blah ,blah! Put the nail in the coffin, blow Tapps on the horn and lower the damn thing!

2 years agoby @vanboyFlag

2. Space101

Another day, another problem...

2 years agoby @space101Flag

3. SherlockHolmes2009

Dear god this needs to happen sooner

2 years agoby @SherlockHolmes2009Flag

4. CelluloidDreams

Someone got smart!!

2 years agoby @2movieguysFlag

5. Mka47

2 years agoby @mka47Flag

@gandoff No. I didn't get that "goosebumpy" feeling for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom Of The Crystal Skulls. Very rarely are sequels that come twenty years later any good. Godfather 3 wasn't. Star Wars Ep 1 wasn't. Oh sure, some will say Ep 3 was good (and I agree), but they had to slog through two substandard films before finding the right formula again. To sum up, I don't find Ghostbusters 3 all that intriguing.

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

7. Gandoff

@ejk1 So when you see the first trailer, and here those words, "Theres something Strange, in the Neighborhood." You're not going to get goose bumps, and revert back to when you was young, and want to see the new film? Good or bad, just to see what it is like? I have a hard time thinking anyone who loves the first film, and enjoyed the second, would not be interested highly at seeing a third. I agree, 15 years ago or so would have been a better time for it. But in the end, for me, at least they are doing it. And setting up for a new generation, like the game. If you truly think that way, I understand. I have reasons I have been down on the project myself. But still want to see it bad, and with Murray.

2 years agoby @gandoffFlag

@gandoff I disagree. I don't care if they do it or not. I don't have any reason to root for another substandard sequel. Even if Murray's in it, this is not a review-proof film for me. If it has bad scores, I definitely wouldn't bother, and even if it does have good reviews, I may wait it out.

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

9. Monkeyiron 2.0

@skywise agreed in scary

2 years agoby @monkeyiron2-0Flag

I just dont feel the need to do this sequel, but I am opioniion

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

@monkeyiron2-0 Agreed. The game was brilliant.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

12. moviegeek

great news.

2 years agoby @moviegeekFlag

13. Monkeyiron 2.0

I already seen Ghosterbusters 3....Ghostbusters the video game

2 years agoby @monkeyiron2-0Flag

14. StoneColdJedi

Shocker. I propose, from here out, no Ghostbusters 3 news unless it's "Bill Murray commits to 'Ghostbusters 3'"

2 years agoby @stonecoldjediFlag

15. Gandoff

Everyone truly wants to see this. Everyone who says, let it die, or like myself, don't want to see it with our Murray, wants to see it. We just been screw around with on when it is being made, and who is in it. So we just lash out with anger on issues on production. Justifiably so, with all the changes made. One week, it set with Murray, next he is out. Good script, bad script. In the end, it can, and should be made. With Murray, in a role that is less work for him to make him happy, but killed off to make fans happy. Murray just needs to man up and make it for the fans, and everyone be happy..

2 years agoby @gandoffFlag

16. Xenon

Sony maybe behind the first two but it doesn't mean that the 3rd one needs to. Dan can shop around, though this could be fake news to flow us off.

2 years agoby @xenon56Flag

It's a sign Sony, take a hint

18. The Cryptkeeper: Resurrected

Eh, I do not really care if this gets made or not.

2 years agoby @cryptFlag

19. Paulington

No one cares about this. Except Jonah Hill and Bill Hader. And they barely care about this.

2 years agoby @paulingtonFlag

20. LuxoIII

I don't care any more.

2 years agoby @brady1138Flag

21. Roberto Mata

Every news of a Ghostbusters sequel is either been delayed or a cast member not returning, just let it die, already.

2 years agoby @Roberto-MataFlag

22. Cripple

Just let this die already.

2 years agoby @crippleFlag