'G.I. Joe 2' Eyes F. Gary Gray and Jon Chu to Direct

'Unknown' director Jaume Collet-Serra is also in the running to direct this action-packed sequel.
F. Gary Gray and Jon Chu are being eyed to direct the Untitled G.I. Joe Sequel
F. Gary Gray and Jon Chu are being eyed to direct the Untitled G.I. Joe Sequel
We reported back in January that G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra director Stephen Sommers will not return to direct the Untitled G.I. Joe Sequel. Now it seems that directors such as F. Gary Gray (Law Abiding Citizen) and Jon Chu (Justin Bieber: Never Say Never) are the top candidates to direct this follow-up.

Producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura has recently met with several directors, including F. Gary Gray and Jon Chu, and Paramount Pictures will continue talks this week.

Zombieland screenwriters Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick wrote the script, although no story details have been revealed yet. We reported last month that Byung-hun Lee will reprise his role of Storm Shadow for the sequel.

Paramount hopes to start shooting the Untitled G.I. Joe Sequel by June for a summer 2012 release.

G.I. Joe Retaliation was released March 28th, 2013 and stars Dwayne Johnson, Jonathan Pryce, Byung-hun Lee, Elodie Yung, Ray Stevenson, D.J. Cotrona, Adrianne Palicki, Channing Tatum. The film is directed by Jon M. Chu.

Sources: Heat Vision Blog

1. Jessieoaks

strange choice

3 years agoby @jessieoaksFlag

2. Xenon

ejk1 it's not just about R rated films, it's the whole Industry. I realize that Wolverine won't be r rated but thinking about it is different. Look at Batman, that turned darker and Chris did an excellent job.
    if Director's start caring for the characters and have better stories, fun's like us and more people will flock to the theater to watch. They need to start caring.
    If not then a lot of people will stop watching their favorite characters.

3 years agoby @xenon56Flag

@jasonkat@xenon56 They won't make Wolverine an R rated film. It would hurt their profits. As for the "anything to get teens in there," of course. Who the hell do you think is buying most of the comic books that make these movies possible? They have no intention of leaving the 13-16 year-old crowd that gives them millions upon millions of dollars behind. For you guys to even suggest that is ridiculous.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

4. JasonKat

Agreed with @todd89, R movies should b R. not switched to pg13 . like most horrors these days , Anything to get teens in there. Also agree on the part where Directors/writers should get tested too just like actors do for their roles, if they pass it, they get the movie, if not.. move to next guy. Alot of people blame actors or actresses for being so chitty but u do realized thats what the director asked them to do, right? Theres a reason why they yell out CUTT, CUT, CUTT, take-5 lol so they can get it right every time. but the real issue here is the person directing the film. and the writer for making such a stupid script.

3 years agoby @jasonkatFlag

5. Xenon

I don't mind Sommers, but I'm glad that he's not attached to this.

Personally I think Directors should have auditions as well. Go through the steps, story board, a script sample and what not, if it doesn't convince the studio then move on to someone else. I'm getting fed up with horrible written stories and talentless directors.
    Who directed Ninja Assassins? The was an awesome film to watch, he/she should be considered to direct G.I Joe and a few sequels.

I really hate the new rating system, all I want is for Marvel to realize two things; the family setting of superheroes like Spiderman stays the same, but when they are dealing with Blade, Wolverine, and Ghost Rider it has to be an R rated film.

This falls under Marvel, think A thin Red line sort of film and mix it up with G.I Joe personal.

3 years agoby @xenon56Flag

@ejk1 What's funny is I'm not even that familiar with G.I. Joe canon, and even I thought that was pretty absurd. She was cool as a villain, and should have remained one.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

They have a lot to fix here. First and foremost, can we somehow erase the Baroness becoming Duke's girlfriend? As a fan of the comic and the cartoon, it would be really nice for Hollywood to repair this extensive damage they caused.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

8. incmob

@mfan all too true... hell i think the 3D in Justin Bieber: Never say Never, actually almost convinced some folks that Justin Bieber has talent...

OH COME ON ALL YOU 12 YEAR OLDS ON MOVIEWEB, IT WAS A JOKE FOR F*CKS SAKE (sort of)

3 years agoby @incmobFlag

9. JasonKat

(off the subject for a moment) Ya know i was thinking, back in the 80s, it was ok to make films like these or like most that r being made today where it just down right ends up being a really stupid film. or watever the story was, we all liked it and loved it, even if the special fx were/looked fake. You would just go nutts with what movie came out because we didnt know any better. u would think today's directors would b 10X smarter than they were in the 70s 80s or 90s, stating that watever mistakes sum1 made then, could b fixed today since our technology is far more better and advanced. and on top of that, our directors should know whats good to put in a film and whats not, or what the fans want, not wat they think we want. With that in mind, if these damn movie writers directors, would just stop being so cheap, lazy and start making better films, and im not talking about Sommers's gi joe, there r LOTS of film between 2000-2011..that arnt even worth watching. A movie is NOT suposed to b a way to make money off us. its suposed to b "give us what we want, wat we like or what u can bring to the table being cleaver and professional" other wize, dont waste our money w 3d, or a chitty film.

3 years agoby @jasonkatFlag

10. Photoman

I say bring much better directors !

3 years agoby @photomanFlag

I just hope they don't leave their sequel to depend on snake eyes sword fighting techniques and the plausible return of storm shadow to save the film, because the first one ,though the action was cool and fun to watch, lacked a few stuff and their combat nearly saved the film from boredom, I;m just sayin

12. Mfan

Apparantly this film will be in 3D, because Jon Chu's strength is using 3D in clever and interesting ways. That's probably the reason he's being considered.

3 years agoby @mfanFlag

13. moviegeek

Thumbs up to getting rid of Stephen Sommers.
    Thumbs down for going to Justin Beiber director John Chu.
    Thumbs WAAAYY down for even making a sequel to that craptacular first film!

3 years agoby @moviegeekFlag

14. Ensigndesign

Really a guy who's only experience is a Justin beiber movie. How lame!

3 years agoby @ensigndesignFlag

Serra, while not my first choice, is a decent pick because he's still relatively fresh, and might surprise some, despite his career thus far. Gray, on the other hand, has done 7 feature films in 15 years, only one of which was anything good (the Negotiator). I don't think he's suited for this type of film, given his track record of misses.

3 years agoby @narratorFlag

16. MovieManiac

@narrator - F. Gary Gray and Jaume Collet-Serra are good choices. If they pick Jon Chu, then this movie is doomed.

3 years agoby @moviemaniac66Flag

I mean, where did they get Jon Chu from? Seriously, lol.

3 years agoby @narratorFlag

I don't like any of those choices so far. Let's keep browsing, studios, shall we?

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

The film had potential, but settled for quick fun. That was the main problem with it. This time around, with the Zombieland writers (who also penned the Deadpool film; stuck in development hell), and Sommers away from the project, we have a chance as seeing a good film... that is if they don;t go with any of the above choices. :P

3 years agoby @narratorFlag

20. SoksoV

Jon Chu? The guy who directed the Justin Bieber movie?? :S

3 years agoby @SoksoVFlag

21. K.Guy

@moviemaniac66 Same words came out of my mouth, but I gave it a 3.5 (good) because it had great action, but the acting was mediocre and some scenes were cheesy.

3 years agoby @kguyFlag

22. MovieManiac

and i agree with Cupid. People overreact about the first movie. Once I saw the trailer and found out that Sommers was directing, I went into the movie expecting a stupid popcorn flick and that is exactly what I got. Sure it had a lot of flaws, but it was not a terrible movie. it was mediocre (2.5/5)

3 years agoby @moviemaniac66Flag

23. RojoDiablo

I agree with JasonKat completely and imo feel the first film was a great popcorn flick and by no means did it suck. I'm not thrilled with the two choices named but would surely lean towards Gray over Chu.

3 years agoby @rojodiabloFlag

24. MovieManiac

I hope they do not pick Jon Chu. This movie does have potential with the new writers and the departure of sommers and looking at past movies, Chu does not look suited for this kind of film. My choice is F. Gary Gray.

3 years agoby @moviemaniac66Flag

25. Ledouchee

@cupid Totally agree. It's not as terrible as the critics say. There's ton of room for improvement. Plus, Sommers sucks balls.

3 years agoby @ledoucheeFlag

26. CUPID

To me the first could of been alot better but it was alright.

3 years agoby @cupidFlag

thank god sommers will not be coming back, he is a terrible director imo so this film HAS to be better than the first...at least i hope so.

3 years agoby @skywiseFlag

28. The Dark Knight

Better acting and more grounded movie, more believable please

3 years agoby @thedarkknight23Flag

29. JasonKat

gi joe was an awsome film, whoever doesnt have an open mind, would hate any movie such as this, its suposed to b a popcorn film not a serious take. it was pure fun and im so looking foward for part2. so this should b good, as long as the whole cast return.

3 years agoby @jasonkatFlag

30. Corey W.

Just because the first sucked doesn't mean I'm gonna bash on this one. I'll start the bashing when a trailer or plot details come out.

3 years agoby @coreyFlag