Fourth 'Star Wars' Trilogy to Possibly Revolve Around Darth Vader

While the upcoming 'Star Wars Episode VII' will take place some time after 'Return of the Jedi', the following films might span Darth Vader's early years.
Fourth Star Wars trilogy may revolve around Darth Vader
Fourth Star Wars trilogy may revolve around Darth Vader
It wouldn't be a new day in the Star Wars Universe without a bit of news regarding the impending films that will seemingly continue long after you're dead. As of now, Walt Disney Pictures plans to release an original Star Wars adventure once every two years beginning with Star Wars: Episode VII in 2015.

Star Wars: Episode VII is said to kick off the third trilogy, which will take place quite a few years after the events seen in Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi. Michael Arndt is currently set as the sole writer of the screenplay, and he will be working off original ideas and themes created by George Lucas. Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Chewbacca, C3P0, and R2D2 are all rumored to be returning in some capacity. And the fact that both Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher have slimmed down considerably since taking a lunch meeting with George Lucas last summer seems to point to their eventual involvement.

So, we have a vague idea where this is headed. Michael Arndt's story is going to work in setting up Star Wars: Episode VIII, which arrives in 2017, and Star Wars: Episode IX, which will arrive in 2019. But what about the movies after this?

Well, a sneaky spy, also known as an "industry insider" with close ties to Lucasfilm has let it slip that the fourth trilogy will revolve around Darth Vader's early years under Emperor Palpatine. It's also possible that within this timeline, we will see a teenage Han Solo and Lando Calrissian who join the Imperial Army as new recruits. Basically, Lucasfilm wants to use classic characters in new ways, because that's what the fans want, right?

The Lucasfilm insider had this to say about Darth Vader's eventual resurrection.

"He's an integral part of the franchise. Replacing him is virtually impossible. The plan is for him to return and play a significant role in the new films. This is science fiction remember. Darth Vader will rise from the ashes."

There is no word on whether or not Hayden Christensen has taken any lunch meetings with George Lucas in regards to reprising the role of Darth Vader. By the time 2021 rolls around, the actor might be just the right age at 40 to play a Darth Vader coming to grips with his robotic outer shell. You know who else will be the perfect age to play Darth Vader? Jake Lloyd. As the film is nearly ten years away from production at this point, its impossible to guess who'll play a young Han and Lando.

Star Wars: Episode VII comes to theaters December 18th, 2015 and stars John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Adam Driver, Domhnall Gleeson, Lupita Nyong'o. The film is directed by J.J. Abrams.

Sources: Express Mail UK

@bawnian-dexeus I hope World War Z is high on your list of novels to read about zombies. It is stangly effecting.

I love the idea about the resurrection sith power. Raising fallen allies and enemies alike to fight at his side. Awesome!

@xenon56 I am most definatly a fan of the early Resident Evil games and it's sort of hard not to love Han and Chewie.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

2. Witchking86

This is the most ridiculous plot ever!! Vader is dead, leave him that way... Two words--CASH COW!!

2 years agoby @fatguy1986Flag

3. ROFLitschristian

Yes? No! Yes! No? I'm so confused!!! I say "yes" because it's Darth Muhtruckin' Vader, but "no" because it doesn't make sense!

2 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

4. Xenon

@bawnian-dexeus the books are just as entertaining, The Thrawn Trilogy is a must read but if you want to get away from the skywalker family I would suggest the X-Wing series or Darth Bane books.

2 years agoby @xenon56Flag

5. Xenon

It can't be turned into a film, however it reads like one.
    If your a fan of the early RE games, this will thrill you.

2 years agoby @xenon56Flag

6. Xenon

@skywise the book is called Death Troopers by Joe Schreiber, I bet you know the title by now.
    The book reads very well, Han Solo and Chewy are involved and it also reads like a R.E book so you get two things in one.
    I was hesitant at first then decided to read it.
    It doesn't disappoints

2 years agoby @xenon56Flag

@skywise True. Never read any comics or novels ( I plan to do so soon) concerning the zombies, but I always thought that a new Sith with resurrection powers could have been an interesting villain. Bring back whole bodies back to life or reassemble from the force itself falle Jedi and Sith like the reanimation jutsu in the Naruto manga. A bit out there, but I'd pay to read it

@bawnian-dexeus I know, I know. It is too much and an obvious cash in onthe zombie sub genre that blew up recently. i think that came out around the time of zombieland? But i sort of love the concept...i mean who knows what kinds of bizzarre diseases lurk a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.....

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

@skywise I think zombies in the SW universe is pushing it a little.

@xenon56 You know I remeber seeing that book in hardcover when it came out and I was very very tempted to read it. I mean SW AND zombies? total nerdgasm. How was it?

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

11. Xenon

@skywise I've read a fair share of SW comics, a big collection. Though I do on occasion try to up date my self. I still read the soft covered books.
    Last time I read one of the SW books, it was when Han ended up on a ship fill of zombies.

2 years agoby @xenon56Flag

12. Tree512010

If your going to to a fourth trilogy you have to go back and to Darth Bane. 3 books 3 movies and its critical material in the story line.

2 years agoby @tree512010Flag

@Playswith-Squirrels You would be wise to think so. There is going to be so much speculation thrown around and most of it probably comes from the studio itself. Disney just spent more money than you could count in a lifetime! They definatly want to drum up s much interest and conversation as possible.

@bawnian-dexeus absolutly old chap. Couldnt have said it better myself.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

Honestly, if they want a fourth trilogy or saga, give the fans their damn Old Republic

15. Playswith Squirrels

This is absolute horse sh*t. I'm calling it now.

2 years agoby @Playswith-SquirrelsFlag

As far as prequels go...I am ONLY open to the idea if they do the Old Republic. i mean when your going back thousands of years its the same as creating an entirely new story after Endor...there is so much freedom to create whatever you want with completly new characters.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

@xenon56 I dont know if you are into graphic novels but as far as SW goes (IMO) this was the best of the bunch. Brilliant artwork and a compeling story.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

18. bigmoney

I agree, i am tired of seeing prequals. They have a chance to start another trilogy of one of the greatest movie stories of all time. yeah you can tie in some old character but they need to be aged and minimal, we need a new story that people can grab on to, new characters like a super super villian to put it in motion, and a whole new world, star wars was huge in the time period it came out and they need to go bigger and more creative if they wanna pull this off.

2 years agoby @bigmoneyFlag

19. Xenon

It's too early for a fourth trilogy, lets take this one step at a time. Though I do agree with some of you, I rather want new characters from different times and places.
    I haven't read Dark Empire

2 years agoby @xenon56Flag

20. MovieManiac

@skywise - Exactly. By focusing on new characters it fleshes out the universe more. Plus, the movie won't feel as limited if they do prequels or focus on characters that already have told stories. I like the idea of the universe being like the main character and just having different stories about different characters being told inside that universe.

2 years agoby @moviemaniac66Flag

@moviemaniac66 i couldnt agree with you more. Its time to pass the baton. Although the Emperor had a cloning device (read Dark Empire) it not too hard to fathom that he would have wanted his favorite lapdog to be able and be cloned as well.

However, I do not want to see this story. Like you said, the Skywalker saga is complete and it came full circle. Theres really no better way to end that cycle.

I would much rather see a movie about what happened after Luke trained new Jedi at the acadamy and hand the story off to there or hell, even a Rogue Squadron story.

I have enjoyed the SW animated series because there are so many characters and storylines and that is what I want to see for any new SW film.

Like @thedude-abides said Its time for a new story.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

22. MovieManiac

I do not like this idea of ressurecting Darth Vader. When Vader died, he died as Anakin Skywalker. He was redeemed and he fulfilled his prophecy. Making Anakin return as Darth Vader again would just be a big 'f*ck you" to the character.

The Galaxy of Star Wars is so rich and complex, it feels like it truly could exist. The stories don't need to be about the Skywalkers. By making the story revolve around completely different characters, the galaxy can seem bigger and more grand. There can be more stories told in that world about different people.

2 years agoby @moviemaniac66Flag

23. thedude-abides

New blood. New story.

2 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

@SpaceCowboy I feel your pain, but all this rampant speculation might just be a way for the studio to put their "feelers" out and see how fans respond. Probably not but one can hope.

And you know this is going to be an ongoing "headache" for years to come.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

25. Smitty-werbenjagermanjensen

so if im reading this correctly then this 4th trilogy shouldnt be coming out for another like 15 + years? Dont know why they would be focusing on that if its so far away, they should be focusing purely on the 3rd trilogy rather than trying to get ahead of themselves. If anything they should just use that idea for darth vader in a video game adaption. Besides it seems like the stories in these games nowadays are better then the ones told in the movies.

2 years agoby @Smitty-werbenjagermanjensenFlag

26. Roberto Mata

@superman81 Couldn't agree More!

2 years agoby @Roberto-MataFlag

27. Superman81

I would love to see more detail into the empire and Darth Vader. Even his battles with Boba Fett and his hunting down the Jedi. If they don't go the DV route then Knights of the Old Republic is what i think should be made. It would delve deep into the history of the Jedi and Sith

2 years agoby @superman81Flag

28. Geekster

what a long wait- greta they got Arndt on board and i am stoked- Hayden should reprise his role as Darth Vader- then we will get to see beyond the mask and see how the mechanics change and how his life as a part cybernetics pushes him further and to see his powers grow strongeras a Sith lord!

2 years agoby @The-Mudder-F-cking-Loud-KillerFlag

29. empath86

@gandoff Vader was only less powerful because of the fact that he was mostly machine, that's why he couldn't use force lightning. Also if you like the expanded universe and novels he was unable to get over the fact he murdered his wife.
    On a separate note, I would like to have seen a film about Leia/ Han and Luke/Mara jades children. One of my favorite characters/story lines was Jacen solo becoming Darth cadeus, but that was a huge story line. Cadeus was one of my favorite of the Sith and discovered more force abilities than almost anyone, though he was almost more of a dark jedi. As long as they have a bad ass Sith or 2 and great action/vfx I'm in.

2 years agoby @empath86Flag

30. artkid04

my thoughts are they may be wanting to create a franchise similar to James Bond

2 years agoby @artkid04Flag