First Look at 'The Dark Knight' Official DVD / Blu-ray Covers and Details!

Get your first look at the official details of the upcoming Batman release, plus see the sell-sheets and box covers!
Be the first to own the biggest film of 2008 when The Dark Knight takes the world by storm on Blu-ray and DVD this December 9th from Warner Home Video. The highly-anticipated sequel to Batman Begins, the blockbuster action hit The Dark Knight from acclaimed director Christopher Nolan has become an instant must-own classic.

The Dark Knight comes from Academy Award® nominated filmmaker Christopher Nolan (The Prestige, Memento), and features commanding performances from Christian Bale (3:10 to Yuma, The Prestige), Academy Award® Winner Michael Caine (The Cider House Rules, Children of Men), Academy Award® Nominee Heath Ledger (Brokeback Mountain), Gary Oldman (Hannibal, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix), Aaron Eckhart (Thank You For Smoking, No Reservations), Maggie Gyllenhaal (Stranger Than Fiction, World Trade Center) and Academy Award® Winner Morgan Freeman (Million Dollar Baby, Wanted).

The Dark Knight marks the first time that a major feature film has been shot in part using IMAX® cameras, marking a revolutionary integration of film formats. The Dark Knight Blu-ray disc takes advantage of the marriage of IMAX® and 35mm formats by using the hybrid master to replicate the unique theatrical experience. The IMAX scenes are also included on the 2-disc Special Edition as bonus materials.

In addition, the Blu-ray disc also includes Warner Bros. BD-Live™, which allows users with web-enabled Blu-ray players to access exciting additional content and connect and share with other BD-Live users.

The Dark Knight will be available on Single Disc for $28.98 SRP in widescreen and full-screen formats. The 2-Disc Special Edition DVD will be available in widescreen format for $34.99 SRP and the Blu-ray Disc will be available for $35.99 SRP

SYNOPSIS

The follow-up to Batman Begins, The Dark Knight reunites director Christopher Nolan and star Christian Bale, who reprises the role of Batman/Bruce Wayne in his continuing war on crime. With the help of Lt. Jim Gordon and District Attorney Harvey Dent, Batman sets out to destroy organized crime in Gotham for good. The triumvirate proves effective, but soon find themselves prey to a rising criminal mastermind known as The Joker, who thrusts Gotham into anarchy and forces Batman closer to crossing the fine line between hero and vigilante. Heath Ledger stars as archvillain The Joker, and Aaron Eckhart plays Dent. Maggie Gyllenhaal joins the cast as Rachel Dawes. Returning from Batman Begins are Gary Oldman as Gordon, Michael Caine as Alfred and Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox.

DVD ELEMENTS FOR 2-DISC SPECIAL EDITION AND BLU-RAY

2-Disc Special Edition:
Gotham Uncovered – How Christopher Nolan and his team developed the new Bat-suit and Bat-pod and composer Hans Zimmer musically characterized The Joker’s reign of chaos.
The Dark Knight IMAX® Scenes - View these 6 action-packed sequences - shot on the largest format possible - in their original IMAX framing, just as they were intended
Gotham Tonight - 6 episodes of Gotham Cable’s premier news program
The Galleries: Poster art and production stills
Digital Copy of the Feature Film

Blu-ray Disc:
Disc 1 – Movie with Focus Points
Gotham Uncovered: Creation of a Scene – Director Christopher Nolan and creative collaborators unmask the incredible detail and planning behind the film, including stunt staging, filming in IMAX®, and the new Bat-suit and Bat-pod.

Disc 2 – Special Features
Batman Tech – The incredible gadgets and tools (in HD)
Batman Unmasked: The Psychology of The Dark Knight – Delve into the psyche of Bruce Wayne and the world of Batman through real-world psychotherapy (in HD)
Gotham Tonight – 6 episodes of Gotham Cable’s premier news program
The Galleries – The Joker cards, concept art, poster art, production stills, trailers and TV spots
Digital Copy of the Feature Film.

The Dark Knight On Blu-ray
The Dark Knight On Blu-ray
The Dark Knight On Blu-ray Back Cover
The Dark Knight On DVD
The Dark Knight On DVD
The Dark Knight On DVD Back Cover
The Dark Knight Blu-ray Sell Sheet
The Dark Knight DVD Sell Sheet

The Dark Knight was released July 18th, 2008 and stars Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Aaron Eckhart, Michael Caine, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman, Monique Gabriela Curnen. The film is directed by Christopher Nolan.

Sources: Warner Bros. Home Video

1. cubsrock90

does anyone else think the motorbike on the cover looks like Pink Floyd's Welcome to the Machine?

6 years agoby @cubsrock90Flag

2. slysnide

It means that you can upload the movie to your PC, iPod, Mac, or other media. A disc and code is required to do so. Pretty much useless unless you like watching films on the go. They're included on most blockbusters now as an excuse to make fans pay more money for a 3 disc set instead of the standard 2.

Moreso, the special features of the film will all be on Disc 1, since Disc 2 is the Digital Copy. If that wasn't true, then the distributor would be required to state that it's actually a 3-Disc set, despite that only 2 of the 3 discs will work in a DVD player.

6 years agoby @slysnideFlag

3. pB_Brawl

What does digital copy mean?

6 years agoby @pb-brawlFlag

4. slysnide

well said.

6 years agoby @slysnideFlag

5. Mad_Max

jamesisnotright. Stop flooding our website with your rhetoric sh*t you damn spammer!

6 years agoby @mad-max-67878820Flag

6. slysnide

LankStun: I agree! That's be more mainstream and creative instead of going with the posters. Though they did the same for both versions of "Begins." And I didn't care for that cover either. But at least these ones are better.

6 years agoby @slysnideFlag

7. TPOJ

BLU-RAY...THE DARK KNIGHT...IMAX PRESENTATION AGAIN IN JANUARY...Dammit! I can't this film out of my mind!!!

6 years agoby @tpojFlag

8. LankStun

I think they should put Batman, Joker, Two Face, and Gorden on the cover

does anyone agree?

6 years agoby @lankstunFlag

9. ZanyZap

I'm going to go with Beebs on the "Digital Copy" thing (Thanks by the way) I'm guessing it will just be a card with an activation code like he said. If not and its on the other disc, I don't see anything to get up tight about. its still a great movie with great features.

6 years agoby @zanyzapFlag

10. Space101

Wikipedia:

Though news on a possible sequel has been limited, according to a Wall Street Journal article from August 22, 2008, a third Batman film is one of the four main focuses of Warner Brothers over the next three years. The article is based on information from Warner Brothers Pictures Group president Jeff Robinov.[25]

Nolan is not committed to another sequel, explaining that he does not normally line up projects after completing a film.

6 years agoby @space101Flag

11. RequiemAmad

So there is no "deleted or extended scenes" or "commentaries"...?...

6 years agoby @requiemamadFlag

12. The Doctor

STILL AWESOME.

6 years agoby @ghettokidFlag

13. CBF

I'll wait for the official word nearing Dec 9. FYE will helm the only Steelbook edition, with the 2-discs, I'm sure. As for now, I'll be enjoying Iron Man 2-disc while I wait for December!

6 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

14. THE JOKER

freaking awesome cant wait

6 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

15. Psycho

Sweet just plain sweet.

6 years agoby @physco-123Flag

16. RingWraither

The 2 disc special edition looks awesome

6 years agoby @ringwraitherFlag

17. slysnide

Go to dvdactive.com and search for "The Dark Knight" and they'll show the artwork for the single disc edition front & back cover. There was no code for me to paste it to my profile

6 years agoby @slysnideFlag

18. slysnide

That's funny Rufio. You're right by the way. All those extra cuts are just marketing tools to get consumers to spend extra money. The prime example of this I believe is the "Alien Director's Cut" in which Ridley Scott wrote a note that was pasted in the flipbook that he preferred the original version over the so called "director's cut" and even wrote that it WAS for marketing reasons.

Same with the "Unrated" bs. At least those ones come out first instead of being rereleases years later. Not that I'd buy it for that reason, but most of the time, they don't rip off the consumer by holding out on those, despite that "unrated" versions literally only feature uncensored deleted scenes, and a few extra shots that the MPAA make them cut from the film itself. Virtually no difference.

And the steelbook story broke last month, so it is plausible. I agree with Beebs though, since this is a Warner Brothers released story, but they too confirmed on their website that this wasn't ALL the special features on the DVD release. Plus, a rumored 3-disc set supposedly has the digital copy. But that I read on 1 site that I can't recall at the moment.

6 years agoby @slysnideFlag

19. CBF

Alright, that makes sense. Yet susp*ciously, guys, the Steelbook is still not listed here, as it wasn't with Iron Man, I take it that is probably becuz it will be exclusive to FYE / Transworld. I have the Steelbooks of The Dark Knight and Iron Man pre-ordered.

Also I did hear that they were still gonna add other extras, besides these...??? Like deciding what to do with the Heath Ledger footage..? So if they keep these back covers which list the features, then, no Ledger tribute..? Oh what a great way to honor his role as the legendary villain and his death.

6 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

20. Rufio

this will be in my bluray player December 9th! I don't like the coverart (rather it be a darker cover or non-action oriented), but the content is far more valuable.
    I agree slysnide... i hope the digital copy doesn't take up the entire disc. this is one of the few movies that i cannot wait to see ALL the extras! the more, the better (though I don't intend on buying more copies of the same film to get them... like Lord of the Rings and other films releasing Director Cuts, Super DIrector Cuts, "The Cuts the Director Didn't Want you to see" Cuts, etc.)!!!

6 years agoby @rufioFlag

21. JR

its true cbf those photos were out when the film was out its a fake.

6 years agoby @jokerrules33Flag

22. Brian

CBF. Everything you just posted is fake buddy. That stuff was all rumored, and if anything international. What you see above is the real deal, unleashed from WB themselves. You wont see anything else.

6 years agoby @brianFlag

23. CBF

Here's the versions not on here, including the Steelbook and different covers:

PS- I tried to post the image on here using html, but for some reason the threads wont accept html...??

6 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

24. CBF

I agree with slysnide. Paying for a Two-Disc "Special Edition" that contains a Digital Copy is a complete rip-off. There's no "Special Edition" about a Digital Copy, to most people it is utterly useless, just sits on the shelf, so what are we actually paying a Two-Disc fee for, when we are actually only getting one Disc? The only useful thing I see DC's for is as Beebs said, downloading the next season for TV DVD's. I think they are meant to stop pirating, but I'm frankly sick of paying for something high-priced when I had it pirated when the film was still in theatres.

I do not believe these to be the "Official" covers, as they are still adding extras, meaning they are not done with the features yet, and I have pre-ordered a Steelbook, which susp*ciously isn't listed here for some reason, which has a completely diff cover. If I recieve a Digital Copy inside my Steelbook when I get it, I'll chuck it out my car window as soon as I open it. And be pissed that the second disc in a STEELBOOK was NOT special features!

If they don't add any more extras, what a slap in the face to Heath. They are not doing him or the fame of the film justice with only two extras. And can someone explain to me why the "Batman Unmasked: The Psychology of The Dark Knight" isn't on the 2-Disc DVD?? Oh yeah, stupid Digital Copy. Extras on same disc as film, get that outta here.

6 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

25. dulkowski

I have a great idea for the next batman, hear me out. First it should be called Batman: Cape Crusader. WHy? Well because the next one shouldn't have the riddler or penguin unless they use them in subplots. Since in TDK the mob was kinda destroyed by the cops, every rival family tries to gain control of Gotham. You can then enter Rupert Thorne and eventually use Black Mask which would be a more of a realistic setting. Gotham is in a middle of a mob war between the families and Gotham is in panic. Eventually bask mask takes control of Gotham and starts killing off main people including the mayor which then can be bring in Mayor Hill. So Gotham needs a Crusader to battle and save Gotham of Black Mask. Batman then regains the respect of the citizens. I only got this idea because of a graphic novel called Batman War Games which would be a perfect fit for the next movie. This plot in the novel would work in Nolan's world and would be the best choice.

6 years agoby @dulkowskiFlag

26. Brian

See now, I think digital copy is getting more tech. Like SUPERNATURAL SEAOSN 3, for instance. I got that bad boy, and it came with a card. The card had a code. No extra discs, just pop the code into the iTunes store, and bam....I downloaded my "digital copy" of all episode of season 2.

Thats the way to do it I'd think. Leave the discs to actual content.

6 years agoby @brianFlag

27. slysnide

That's why I don't like the digital copies. I get how it's useful. But that's all that the 2nd disc could be, just the digital copy, meaning that the extras are on disc 1 of the two disc version with a digital copy as the 2nd disc. The problem with that is that you're paying for the digital copy, not the extras, and I don't think said extras are on the single disc edition (if there will be one, since the steelbook editions aren't listed here as they were last month).

On other sites, I read that the digital copy will be on a 3 disc edition, with disc 2 being extras. But that was from various sites which get their data from various sources, and this is WB, so it's probably more reliable.

In the meantime, I'll await the final word on the Two-Disc DVD Edtion, since it supposedly hasn't had all details revealed yet.

6 years agoby @slysnideFlag

28. Psycho

Can't wait to own this awesome DVD it will be the best to hit the shelves.

6 years agoby @physco-123Flag

29. Bink

its a copy of the movie u can put on ur laptop or iPod or whatever so u can watch the movie without needing an actual disc

6 years agoby @justbink07Flag

30. ZanyZap

Sounds awesome....
    What's a 'digital copy of the feature film?'

6 years agoby @zanyzapFlag