Felicity Jones Confirms She Plays a Villain in 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2'

Plus, we have new photos featuring Andrew Garfield and Paul Giamatti on the set of director Marc Webb's superhero sequel.
Felicity Joins confirms she's playing a villain in The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Felicity Joins confirms she's playing a villain in The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Just a few days after Felicity Jones hinted that she may be playing The Black Cat in The Amazing Spider-Man 2, the actress revealed that she is, in fact, playing a villain, while keeping the identity of her character a secret.

"It's TOP secret. I can tell you that she's sort of on the baddie's side, but I can't explain much more than that. Just the scale was incredible. It's a different challenge to be on an enormous set, surrounded by hundreds of extras, as opposed to just being 20 people in the room."

We'll likely have to wait until next May to find out for certain who exactly Felicity Jones plays in this superhero adventure, but stay tuned for more details.

In related news, the latest photos from The Amazing Spider-Man 2 set in New York City showcase actors Andrew Garfield as the title character, and Paul Giamatti as The Rhino. Take a look at these images from the set of director Marc Webb's superhero sequel, then read on for more details regarding actress Felicity Jones' mysterious character.

The Amazing Spider-man 2 On Set #1
The Amazing Spider-man 2 On Set #2
The Amazing Spider-man 2 On Set #3
The Amazing Spider-man 2 On Set #4
The Amazing Spider-man 2 On Set #5
The Amazing Spider-man 2 On Set #6
The Amazing Spider-man 2 On Set #7
The Amazing Spider-man 2 On Set #8
The Amazing Spider-man 2 On Set #9
The Amazing Spider-man 2 On Set #10

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was released May 2nd, 2014 and stars Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Jamie Foxx, Dane DeHaan, Colm Feore, Felicity Jones, Paul Giamatti, Sally Field. The film is directed by Marc Webb.

Sources: Getty Images Entertainment, Belfast Telegraph

Dude, @comicbookfan! Missed you and your awesome aptitude for all things comic related. Other than ejk, bawnian, and myself, there are few solid comic readers left on this site from the old days and few if any as impressive as you. Hope things are going well for you, man.

Also, I agree with you and @diaigma (good to see you also, man). Woodley being scrapped was the best casting decision they've had yet, and I am really liking the looks of Gadon. If she can act, she definitely has my vote.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

2. CBF

Funny that MW still lists Shailene Woodley in the acting credits even though she's been cut.

1 year agoby @comicbookfanFlag

3. CBF

@diaigma Thanks friend! I'd be on MSN Messenger but it won't let me log in there or access the group we had on there. It said it merged with Skype and I need to download the new version then takes me to Skype's website (in which I already have Skype as a separate IM client). Not sure what's going on there or how to access that to keep in touch with yall. But I'll poke my head in MW every once in a while. I know you all miss me (the elite users anyway). As far as Woodley being recast, it's a blessing. Sorry but that 14 year old tomboy face did not fit the bill. There's no way audiences would buy her as a party girl-turned-supermodel actress for one second. Plus she had that innocent girl next door look. That's the mistake Raimi made when casting MJ, too. MJ is 'not' the girl next door. She's the bad girl. Sarah Gadon can capture that, I'm hoping. That's going on my belief that Gadon is, in fact, cast to replace Woodley as MJ in TASM3. Regardless of the denials. Also MJ being cut from TASM2 in favor of Felicity Jones' character appearing first (which I believe to be Felicia Hardy) is a blessing in disguise. Spidey teamed with Black Cat after Gwen's death and before he got with MJ so it fits the 616 universe. I'm hoping Gwen's death isn't exaggerated and I'm also hoping the villains have proper arc times during the length of the film. That said, if that's all good, I think the film can... "swing" it..? No?

1 year agoby @comicbookfanFlag

4. Diaigma

@comicbookfan - good to hear from you, sir! It's been too long. I'm back and writing reviews again. Oh, and how do you feel about Woodley being recast? I think it's the best news I've heard about Spidey 2:P

1 year agoby @diaigmaFlag

5. CBF

@Kill-Bill Black Cat is a villain when introduced. So yes, she's a cat burglar and Spidey battles her. Until she develops a soft spot for Spidey and reforms then becomes his partner/lover then they break up and she becomes the anti-hero you speak of. That happens later.

1 year agoby @comicbookfanFlag

6. CBF

@diaigma Ditto. Well Sarah Gadon would be better. She has the look. Jones, possibly, but she already said she be a villain. Not many Spidey women villains besides Black Cat and Shriek.

1 year agoby @comicbookfanFlag

7. Diaigma

Please be Black Cat :P

1 year agoby @diaigmaFlag

8. Zak Lee Ferguson

Ace images and interesting news i must say!

1 year agoby @Zak-Lee-FergusonFlag

9. ridgl

I wonder if anyone got to read the script before they were hired.

1 year agoby @ridglFlag

10. Xenon

If she is in this it may not what we or MW thinks.
    It could be just an introduction to the character before she turned into Black cat.
    I may not have faith in Webb but I do hope he's learned his lesson and I'll give him another chance.

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag

11. Kill-Bill

For the people who don't read comics: Black Cat isn't really a villain, more of a anti-Hero. She's like the marvel version of Catwoman

1 year agoby @Kill-BillFlag

12. Fry_3000

Hmm.... I know, she'll be spider-woman turned evil , lol. What female villains does spidey have apart from black cat??

1 year agoby @Fry-3000Flag

No opinion on the casting

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

14. Monkeyiron 2.0

@the-movieghost Maybe she be Silver Sable

1 year agoby @monkeyiron2-0Flag

15. the MovieGhost

I haven't ever seen Felicity as a villain, so this will be very interesting.

1 year agoby @the-movieghostFlag

16. Ray Felch

i dont think shes playing the black cat be cos if she whos yew cep it a secrit

1 year agoby @Ray-FelchFlag

17. ChiRep_1

...Oh really, Movieweb? Did they, did they really confirm she plays a villain

1 year agoby @ChiRep-1Flag

18. Monkeyiron 2.0

@mr-k@corey is right, that's the thing about spideys world the villains never play fair. But in total its 3 and I dnt think she is playing Cat but Silver Sable as she has connects to the criminal

1 year agoby @monkeyiron2-0Flag

19. Nicholaus XX

Now, I'm intrigued.

1 year agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

20. Mr.K

@corey Sure in comics but that doesn't mean that it can translate well into the screen.

1 year agoby @mr-kFlag

21. TheObserver

God, as a Marvel character, this movie has more villains than....the Avengers ;P

1 year agoby @TheObserverFlag

22. Corey W.

@mr-k Now, now. I never said it'd be a bad thing. TDKR had 4 baddies in a sense) and that held up just fine. Plus, Green Goblin won't even be in it till the climax, his character will follow through in the sequels. I like this idea. Because when you think about it--in the comics, Spidey does face more than one villian at a time. He protects a city full of foes, so it only makes sense.

1 year agoby @coreyFlag

23. Mr.K

@corey Here comes another Spider-Man 3 disaster!

1 year agoby @mr-kFlag