Comic-Con 2014

'Fast & Furious 7' Script Rewrite May Retire Paul Walker's Character

Universal hopes to get the film back up and running this January. They plan to utilize all of Paul Walker's previously shot material, but may have to scrape it.
After Universal Pictures shut down production on Fast & Furious 7 last week, following the untimely death of actor Paul Walker, many have wondered how the studio will move forward, with a bulk of footage already shot featuring the late actor.

Today, we have word that screenwriter Chris Morgan is working on script revisions that will allow the franchise to give Paul Walker a proper send-off, while using the scenes that have already been completed. This falls in line with our report from last week that revealed the sequel will be delayed, but not abandoned completely. But these changes are not a sure thing.

If the writer succeeds, production could resume as early as January. But, it isn't clear when Chris Morgan may have the revisions completed. Universal executives held a conference call the morning after Paul Walker's death on November 30 to discuss how to move forward with Fast & Furious 7. Insiders suggest that the studio's top priority was to support the actor's grieving family, cast and crew, with NBC Universal chief Ron Meyer asking all on that call to personally offer their condolences.

While the production shutdown did save the studio some money, they are also facing issues with the cast and crew's guilds, who have deals governing how long actors and crew members can be on hold for.

The studio has already spent $150 million on Fast & Furious 7. If Universal decides to start the production from scratch, the studio's insurance company Fireman's Fund might have to pay that bill in full, which would be the largest Hollywood insurance claim in history. However, that might not be the case, with one insider claiming that over half of Paul Walker's scenes have already been shot. Another source revealed the actor was scheduled for considerable work on the sequel the week following his death.

Another studio source said there is fan support in favor of completing the current version of the film, as opposed to scrapping the footage already shot and starting from scratch. Here's what the unnamed source had to say.

"What will drive everything is, is there an honorable and sensible way to do this? There's not really a road map."


We reported yesterday that Dawn of the Planet of the Apes has been moved to Fast & Furious 7's July 11, 2014 release date. While that report claimed Universal still planned on holding onto that date, now it seems that the studio has scrapped plans for a summer 2014 release. However, they still do plan on making an eighth installment of this lucrative franchise. Here's what an unnamed Universal Pictures executive had to say.

"Sadly, it will probably make people more interested."

Fast & Furious 7 comes to theaters April 10th, 2015 and stars Dwayne Johnson, Jason Statham, Michelle Rodriguez, Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Kurt Russell, Jordana Brewster, Lucas Black. The film is directed by James Wan.



Share this story yet?

247 23 2 1 3

RELATED STORIES

BEST OF THE WEB

Comments (14)

  1. undeadslayer4

    @moviemaniac66 agreed like they did with mary jane

    7 months agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

  2. Amanda Attwood

    Paul Walker said in an interview, that he wanted the movies to continue without him. He was 40. Really, he probably only had so many more inhim. Vin Diesel as well. Eventually, you'd think that new characters would have been gradually introduced, to replace the originals. They did this with Wayne Johnson's character for instance. Either kill his character off & make this the focus of the 8th film, or write out the Brian, Mia & baby characters as a family. Say they are done with this life.

    7 months agoby @Amanda-Attwood-17479285Flag

  3. Jennifer Collins

    I believe it would be in bad taste to just kill him off! His family don't need to see that. There has to be a respectable way.

    8 months agoby @Jennifer-Collins-37125368Flag

  4. MovieManiac

    They shouldn't scrap his scenes.

    8 months agoby @moviemaniac66Flag

  5. CelluloidDreams

    cool...

    8 months agoby @2movieguysFlag

  6. W.T.Foxalot Willâ„¢

    They should use the existing scenes. His character has a wife and kid now. The character could just decide to settle down and retire after one last go.

    8 months agoby @W-T-Foxalot-WillTMFlag

  7. thedude-abides

    This is an obvious move

    8 months agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

  8. Cheetoboy

    @therealGoku With everything thats happened, I definitely agree with you, I mean I love these movies too, but its not going to be the same without Paul, hopefully they'll come up with a great send off for him, but this should be the last ride for the franchise.

    8 months agoby @cheetoboyFlag

  9. Dfella504

    I think they should use da scenes he shot jus kill da character off..if there gonna continue da franchise it's only rite...if not let this b da last one rewrite da ending

    8 months agoby @dfellaFlag

  10. The Real Goku

    I like these movies a lot but I think it's best to end the franchise

    8 months agoby @therealGokuFlag

  11. Sean

    @stabalice83 Good point. I agree.

    8 months agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

  12. artkid04

    Summer 2015, end this franchise!

    8 months agoby @artkid04Flag

  13. stabalice83

    Fans will be pissed if they scrap his scenes. If the writer is any good he could make a good exit point for the character in the existing script and just write after that point

    8 months agoby @stabalice83Flag

  14. SpideR-OnE

    Walker deserves for let i say on an epic goodbye in FF series. screenwriter's should do everyting to make this part perfect.

    8 months agoby @spider-oneFlag

Comic Con 2014

Latest Comic Con News