EXCLUSIVE: Will Chris Nolan Recast the Joker for 'Batman 3' or Will the Riddler Take His Place?

The director isn't even sure he wants to come back for a third film.
Movie Picture
While conducting interviews with the cast of The Dark Knight this afternoon, I got a chance to chat with director Christopher Nolan and Gary Oldman about the proposed third segment of their supposed Batman trilogy. While none of us in attendance really wanted to dwell on the death of Heath Ledger, Oldman offered his thoughts on the actor's portrayal of the Joker, calling it the scariest on-screen performance he's ever seen.

He even went on to compare it to his own work as Sirius Black, saying, "Sirius Black might scare six year olds, but he doesn't scare nine year olds. It's hard to scare kids these days. Heath does. He scares everybody. This is one of the most frightening performances I have ever seen put on film." When asked if he thought they should recast Ledger for the third film, or just not include the character, Gary thought it was a good idea, "I don't see why not. I mean, they did it with Katie Holmes' character. I understand that this is a different circumstance, but I think another actor could do the job. I think Heath would want another actor to do the job."

Oldman then took a moment to think about it some more, "Maybe we don't need the Joker. Because we'll have The Riddler." Yes, Oldman alluded to the fact that The Riddler may in fact be the next on-screen Batman villain.

When I asked if he, himself, wanted to come back for a third segment, he smiled coyly, "We don't really know if Nolan is coming back." He then shook his head. "I guess I have to come back." He then put his hand to the side of his mouth as if to hide the next line from everybody, "Nolan will come back for a third one. I think we all have to." It is well known that Oldman tried to get out of appearing in The Dark Knight, but his contract wouldn't allow it.

Next, I asked Christopher Nolan if he wanted to come back for a third Batman film, and he said that he wasn't sure that he wanted to come back, "I don't know. I take my projects one at a time, and I am not thinking about that right now. I don't know if I want to come back." After that, I asked, "If you do choose to make a third Batman film, do you think that you would recast for the Joker? Or will he not appear in the film?"

Nolan's replay, "I don't know. I honestly have not taken a moment away from what is going on with the film now to even think about that. I don't know. I simply don't know."

The Dark Knight opens July 18th, 2008.

The Dark Knight was released July 18th, 2008 and stars Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, Aaron Eckhart, Michael Caine, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman, Monique Gabriela Curnen. The film is directed by Christopher Nolan.

The Dark Knight Rises was released July 20th, 2012 and stars Tom Hardy, Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway, Liam Neeson, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Gary Oldman, Marion Cotillard, Morgan Freeman. The film is directed by Christopher Nolan.

1. knobie09

hey thenarrator:hello back *sshole!

1 year agoby @knobie09Flag

2. THE JOKER

@slysnide Hey, at least you remembered the original and first "Joker" on this site (aka me) It just took a matter of letting people know! haha It is kind of fun seeing all these people with THE JOKER avatar and the name in there and knowing I was always the first... well before Heath was even cast as the Joker... haha

3. slysnide

@mcleve02: After MW 2.0 kicked in and our profiles lost all their originality, and you changed your avatar, and were gone for so long, and the fact that I had a few friends named JOKER on the site left me perplexed as to whether it was really you or not. That same scenario played out with many other users too.

2 years agoby @slysnideFlag

4. THE JOKER

@slysnide and same with me... SpaceCowboy and narrator flipped their sh*t when they realized it was me!

5. THE JOKER

@slysnide Yes ma'am! We certainly will! I see that people do battle on there pretty nicely so far! ahhh... how I have missed the debates!

6. slysnide

@mcleve02: Excellent! I too left for 4 months, November 2008-March 2009 cause I didn't know how to write my review for "QoS." Being the first official direct sequel to a Bond film, and being a Bond fanatic, I thought it should be something special. I left for a week at first to think it over, then got distracted by other things. When I eventually returned to the site, people were happy to see me back. And for you, the feeling is mutual. Nice to have ya back! And now that you're on the chat group, we'll talk a lot more. Nice!

2 years agoby @slysnideFlag

7. THE JOKER

@slysnide Or another to word it, a quote you should love!
    "You guys just need to know one thing. I'm back. Back for good." The Joker - Mark Hamill - Batman Arkham City

8. THE JOKER

@slysnide for like 3 years! haha The site was falling apart there for awhile...plus work and life were kicking me in the ass for a period there... But at least I have made my way back!

9. slysnide

@mcleve02: That's cause you disappeared for quite a while it seemed. And damn you do get around a lot.

2 years agoby @slysnideFlag

10. THE JOKER

@slysnide Plus for a while, vets even like you had no idea I was the original THE JOKER on here haha

11. THE JOKER

@slysnide I do get around a lot... next couple of months I am going to be all over... next month I will be in Minneapolis, November I will be in Dallas, December I will be in Hawaii... Don't know about January yet... If I have no plans, I will either visit Orlando or Anaheim to get my mouse fix! But I agree... everyone seems to be arrogant for no reason at all... Only a few people really seem to want to talk on here anymore! haha

12. slysnide

@mcleve02: Seriously man, 2008 Moviwebbing was so much cooler than it is now. Too many newbies, trolls, and less veterans like us. And I reciprocate the offer. You're always welcome at my place should you make it over here.

2 years agoby @slysnideFlag

13. THE JOKER

@bawnian-dexeus Welcome to old school moviewebbing! as @slysnide will tell you we used to do!

14. THE JOKER

@slysnide You ever get over here you are more than welcome to my place!

15. slysnide

@mcleve02: Lucky bastard! I need to find a legit excuse to go back east so I can "Take a quick detour" to Maryland. ;)

2 years agoby @slysnideFlag

That's a lot of comment

17. THE JOKER

@slysnide haha I got it! Its fun on there when I find out who is who from movieweb and seeing what they look like! But yes, excellent memory! That is if the brew is done by the time he gets here!

18. slysnide

@mcleve02: Just shot you a friend request. I have Bane as my avatar, and Joker as my timeline banner. And it's nice that you've got Sherlock coming to your house. For the moonshine right?

2 years agoby @slysnideFlag

19. THE JOKER

@slysnide Yes he did. Mark Clevenger Jr. I am standing with Mickey Mouse in my picture!

20. slysnide

@mcleve02: Catherine Cooke. Did he add you in the group?

2 years agoby @slysnideFlag

21. THE JOKER

@slysnide Until recently, I didn't know about it... he and I just talked. There are a few moviewebbers I know personally.. I've met Joy (if you remember her) SherlockHolmes2009 is coming to my house... and mieko-siede and I are trying to work together... whats your name on there?

22. slysnide

@mcleve02: I know. I'm a member and am on it constantly. We constantly get our topics of conversation derailed for random chit chat. Are you in that group?

2 years agoby @slysnideFlag

23. THE JOKER

@slysnide Yes.. he actually has his own "movieweb" page in facebook for all the old movieweb cast members... doesn't like the political and arrogant users that have worked their way over on to here now... I do understand what he means... haha

24. slysnide

@mcleve02: ah, so you guys chit chat too. Cool.

2 years agoby @slysnideFlag

25. THE JOKER

@slysnide actually, I juts got off of the phone with T.Clark... may have convinced him to get back on here from time to time!

26. THE JOKER

@slysnide Yeah, I thought Bane, but never said him because of the realistic stand point the films had... I figured it was impossible to do so why even waste the comment... Hugo Strange was a big one I would have considered... which he got done beautifully in Arkham City anyways! Proves how brilliant that man is! Even us Batman "experts" didn't even come close to coming up with what he did!

27. slysnide

@mcleve02: Haha. Good point. I'd never thought that the way Nolan had escalated the villainous plots' level of destruction in the two films would translate over to the third film. Hence why I and many were convinced either Riddler, Penguin, or Hush would be the leads. All notoriously non-explosive criminals. Had I thought about the escalation concept, which Gordon even mentioned at the end of "Begins," and which was demonstrated with Batman's need for a new suit in "TDK," then I probably would've thrown Bane's name into the ring. Of course, I hadn't read the "Knightfall" trilogy at that time. Doing that right now actually. I got the first two volumes of the 2012 reissue which comprises all comics relating to the "Knightfall" story arc.

2 years agoby @slysnideFlag

28. THE JOKER

@slysnide haha I know! Been quite some time since the debates have gotten as heated as they did on this article! Its funny to me to read what everyone thought Nolan should do for this, who the next big villain was! Not a single person said Bane and everyone said Catwoman was a bad idea, myself included in that last one! Just makes me chuckle!

29. slysnide

@mcleve02: I know it. This was my all time favorite news story. So much debate as only a few of us contributed to jacking up the comments to the 800s. The ones since have been reflections on these debates like the one we're having right now.

2 years agoby @slysnideFlag

30. THE JOKER

@narrator@slysnide@insertusernamehere ahh... I remember this Article from back in the day! It's fun to get on here and read some of our old conversations sometimes! Forgot how much of a douche @knobie09 was on here!