EXCLUSIVE: Walton Goggins Battles 'Predators'

The actor gives us the lowdown on this summer's Robert Rodriguez produced reboot of the classic Arnold Schwarzenegger film.
The images in this movie are going to rival any other movie in its genre for quite some time
One of the most highly anticipated films of this summer is without a doubt Robert Rodriguez's resurrection of the Predator franchise entitled, Predators. The movie promises to be to the original Arnold Schwarzenegger classic what James Cameron's Aliens was to the first Alien film. In fact, Rodriguez actually wrote a version of this film for Fox in the mid-'90s as a direct sequel to the original movie with Arnold reprising his role as Dutch. The future-Governor turned down the film and it was never made but years later, after two disappointing Alien vs. Predator films the studio wanted to reboot both franchises separately and decided to dust-off Rodriguez's old script. Rodriguez eventually signed on as producer and after a few rewrites, production began last fall under the helm of Nimrod Antal (Armored). The movie is a direct sequel to the '80s classic, ignoring all other film incarnations and boasts an impressive cast of actors including Oscar Winner Adrian Brody (King Kong), Topher Grace (Spider-Man 3), Danny Trejo (Machete), Alice Bragga (I Am Legend), Walton Goggins (The Shield) and Laurence Fishburne (The Matrix).

While there have been rumors that a cameo for Arnold Schwarzenegger reprising his role as Dutch exists in the script it has not been confirmed yet whether the Californian Governor will ultimately be involved with the production. However, we did have an opportunity to catch up with actor Walton Goggins at the premiere of his new FX series, Justified, which stars Timothy Olyphant (The Crazies) and begins airing on March 16th. The former star of The Shield was more than happy to tell us all about the upcoming franchise reboot and told us a funny story about returning home after his intense film shoot. "You know its interesting, I ran into Topher Grace at a party after getting back (from shooting the film) and it was like ... we had the biggest hug because we both looked at each other and said, 'You made it off the planet? Oh my God, you're here?' It was like going through a war, absolutely everybody kind of meeting their demise in their own way," explained Goggins. "It was exciting to see that these people exist in a world outside of Predators."

We went on to ask the actor just what fans of the original movie can expect and why he thinks they will love this new version. "I think that you're going to get to see a combination of classic Predators with a modern twist told by very, very competent filmmakers," the actor stated. "I think that the images in this movie are going to rival any other movie in its genre for quite some time," he proclaimed. While those are pretty high expectations for the film, Goggins did agree that the movie features a very talented group of accomplished actors and filmmakers. "Absolutely, it was extraordinary. It really was extraordinary. I think the thing that I'm most excited about is our lack of someone that is really big," explained Goggins. "We're all regular guys. Except ... we do have Oleg Taktarov (Righteous Kill) and he will tell you how big he is, multiple times," joked the actor. "But for the most part we are all average builds and I think that gives people an opportunity to see themselves in this movie. At the end of the day I think the thing that I'm most excited about is it's not just an action movie but it's a movie about these characters that hopefully you will grow to love over the course of the story."

Predators begins hunting on July 7th.

Predators was released July 9th, 2010 and stars Adrien Brody, Topher Grace, Alice Braga, Walton Goggins, Oleg Taktarov, Laurence Fishburne, Danny Trejo, Louis Ozawa Changchien. The film is directed by Nimród Antal.

Sources: Jami Philbrick

1. TheMime

The trailer will be out either end of this month or early next month.......

4 years agoby @themimeFlag

2. Vleoz

can't wait

4 years agoby @vleozFlag

3. LuxoIII

when are we gonna see a TRAILER??!!!

4 years agoby @brady1138Flag

4. Twisted Smile

Looking forward to this.

4 years agoby @twistedsmileFlag

5. TheMime

Agree with mosorwvlad on the this one.... They should give the predators more screen time. Although, the movie is called "PREDATOR"

4 years agoby @themimeFlag

6. mosorwvlad

I hope there's more scenes where predator is killing and fighting. In AVP and AVP-R the predator has like 5 or 4 scenes where he is fighting , the rest of the movie we see the cast talking like idiots. Don't get me wrong i do care about the story and the characters , but make them believable. This is predator , we already know who he is , we don't need the f*cking Suspense like in AVP -R when Alien starts killing the people in that town, we already know it's the f*cking Alien, so just show us the f*cking action and killing etc. This is not like a murder movie ''oh my god ho is the killer'' we already know you f*cking retards. Sorry guys but that's what i think of AVP 1 and 2 .

4 years agoby @mosorwvladFlag

7. Emmytt

i am supposed to care right?

4 years agoby @emmyttFlag

8. Gandoff

AVP films, in their own light, was decent movies. Everyone has to keep in mind tht both alien creaturs had been seen overand over again. So to act like the original films of hide hunt would not work as well as the others . And with them both being Aliens v Predator, they was ment to be seen alot in a hand to hand fighting series. They first started good, but turned bad. The second AVP R was i truth really good. Not the best of all the story lines of the characters, but sill good. I would have loved to see this taken a future turn, with the marines of the future like Aliens had. AVP in that era would have been more entertaining and had more possibilites of a three way free for all like the comics and games was.

4 years agoby @gandoffFlag

9. Buriblazing

plz be good

4 years agoby @buriblazingFlag

10. Charles DeMar

I wonder if they will finish off the AVP series?

4 years agoby @nemesissisFlag

11. Johnnyblaze09

I agree, sequels are way better than reboots/makes cause there's an excitement to it but still all matters to how the plots are delivered. I am afraid cause predators are so obvious to be a masked or a mascot man. I hope they'll make them more believable 'aliens', like in 'District 9'. I like Predator story, the powerful guns... the heat scanners... the perfect 'unskinned-ing' of a scared soldier... more if it will be in a rain forest again like the first one cause I have not seen muddy marines in a quite some time but I guess based on the actor's statement above, I think yes; there will be dirts & muds.

4 years agoby @johnnyblaze09Flag

12. Drewski37

damn so its done shooting then ?

4 years agoby @drewski37Flag

13. Err

well they have a decent cast, anyway. we'll see what happens.

4 years agoby @err2005Flag

14. Cineprog

I am glad that Predators is claiming to be a sequel and not a Reboot where it follows on from the original Predator. I hope thay can get Arnold schwarzenegger to do a cameo Has Dutch give Predators some Cred.

4 years agoby @cineprogFlag

15. WARRock

i f*ckin hate lame reboots!!!! this better be good!!

4 years agoby @jcFlag

16. AnnoyingFilmCritic

The producing talents of Rodriquez (who beloves the property enough to have written a screenplay) and Lawrence Fishburne & Brody gives me alot of confidence that this reboot will get the Predator franchise back on course...equally satisfying, Ridley Scott's Alien prequel!

4 years agoby @annoyingfilmcriticFlag

17. Remy72883

a good way to do it, right after Arnold's classic

4 years agoby @remy72883Flag