EXCLUSIVE: 'The Mummy' Remake to Be an Epic Horror Movie Set in Present Day America

Director Len Wiseman reveals that this new take on the classic Universal monster is not tied to the Brendan Fraser franchise.
Director Len Wiseman offers new details on The Mummy reboot
Director Len Wiseman offers new details on The Mummy reboot
Director Len Wiseman is trading one remake for another. His last film, Total Recall, is arriving on Blu-ray and DVD this Tuesday, December 18th. We caught up with him to chat about people's unkind reception to this reinterpretation of the original Philip K. Dick short story, and the conversation eased over into his next film, a reboot of the long-standing Mummy franchise for Universal Pictures.

Remaking The Mummy is a little different than taking on a beloved Arnold Schwarzenegger classic, though. The franchise has been around since the mid-30s, and the monster has already seen many different iterations. Still, some people are under the misconception that this will be a reboot of the previous The Mummy movies. The new film will having nothing to do with the Brendan Fraser franchise, at all. It is a completely new take on the mythology, and it will be set in present day.

We asked Len if his viewpoint on remakes had changed since taking on Total Recall. This was his response.

"There was skepticism. The difference between the two, if The Mummy is to be the next movie for me, is that The Mummy is a completely different film. It is a modern day take. It doesn't have anything to do with the Brendan Fraser films, and it is not a remake of any kind.

The Mummy is one of Universal's long standing, iconic characters, well before the Brendan Fraser movies... This is such a different thing. What was attractive to me...There is still a script to be written, and all of that....But the pitch was to go with a much different tone. It was a Mummy like I'd never heard of before. Its nothing like what you would expect, at all, oddly. I was picturing Egypt, and the sand swept settings. The mummy wrappings. When I heard what they were wanting to actually do with it, it was shocking...

The Brendan Fraser movies are more action-oriented, and in-line with Raiders of the Lost Ark. This new version won't be that.

"It's horror. Its epic. It's more of a modern day version of what would happen if we came across a mummy in our world today. It is pretty fascinating."

What do you think? Does this sound like the kind of Mummy movie you were hoping for?

Untitled Mummy Reboot comes to theaters April 22nd, 2016.

1. RK Cramer

From what I can see only the heading is saying it's a remake. I have watched many movies about Mummies over the years with both male and female mummies. I remember one in particular with Turhan Bey in 1942 called The Mummies Tomb. The Mummy is played by Lon Chaney, Jr. in that one. The 1932 flick has a similar character as the Fraser movies and it's with Karloff playing double parts, one of them Imhotep, but the storyline is different. The movies with Brendan Fraser were not the cornerstone of mummy movies by far. To call them a reboot or remake is ludicrous. They have always been around like zombie movies.

4 weeks agoby @RK-CramerFlag

2. kelly

This is going to suck. The whole reason the Brendan Fraser movies worked (the first two anyway) was because of the whole Egyptian mythology and Indiana Jones/Lara Croft type feel , which, if your like me, was a big part of me seeing the first two. If they take away the mythology and the adventure feel to make it a horror movie, well I'm sorry Mr Wiseman, but prepare for another flop on your hands.

1 year agoby @kelly-43970544Flag

3. slysnide

Modern Day American can't in any way, shape, or form equate or get anywhere near '30s Egypt. Given that, then the header of remake or reimagining shouldn't even be tagged to this. Just an original piece of crap would be nice.

2 years agoby @slysnideFlag

4. SpideR-OnE

"Epic Horror Movie Set in Present Day America" Egypt 1921, it will not be the same climate. There are movies that should not be reboot and if they are should keep the basic stuff. I know that the ideas in hollywood are over, but please rebbot of reboot, remake, sequel, prequel. when we will see something new?

2 years agoby @spider-oneFlag

5. JasonKat

This sounds interesting. I only liked mummy1-2, A much darker, R-rated horror would be nice, as long as they dont fuk up the cgi and the story doesnt center on a group of idiots around a table holding hands trying to talk to the other side, like they normally do in ghost movies, , lol
    I dont care if it takes place in the 1900, present day or in the future, The again, it all depends what direction they take it.

2 years agoby @jasonkatFlag

6. Andrew Thompson

How can he say its not a remak when the mummy has been done already ? boris koloff is the original so that means its being re-made again...

2 years agoby @andrew-thompsonFlag

@ejk1 A thief, like Cate Blanchet in Crystal Skull

Horror....right...

9. The Cryptkeeper: Resurrected

I don't know why Wiseman has the project, but I think the idea is good.

2 years agoby @cryptFlag

10. Sean

Why have it set in present day America? Why not have it set in Egypt, in the same time period setting as The Mummy and The Mummy Returns?

2 years agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

11. SherlockHolmes2009

Ill give it a shot

2 years agoby @SherlockHolmes2009Flag

12. ROFLitschristian

See, you say that, Mr. Wiseman, however, all I'm reading is, "Blah blah blah, half-assed remake, blah blah blah, gimme all your money, blah blah blah, bullsh*t."

2 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

13. Rudy

Can we for once have a mummy that ISN'T egyptian? I mean, there are Mayan mummies, babylonian mummies, chinese mummies, mummies aren't only egyptian. -__-

2 years agoby @rudyFlag

14. zeus

@Roberto-Mata Funny enough, Naomi Harris mentioned Idris had met with producers about playing the role!!

2 years agoby @zeusFlag

15. Roberto Mata

@zeus If the studio decides to make a Bond film with a Balck actor as leading man, I choose Idris Elba, he would be perfect, and as for Nolan's version of Bond I think it will be the best bond ever with him, Dark, Realistic and with a twist on the 007 agent, if he really directs it, lets wait for at least until Daniel Craig retires, because Bond is a middle aged man, not young like Tom Hardy, but i don't doubt he would do a great job, either as a young or old version of Bond he is a fantastic Actor, I read this on the IMDB site, a couple of months ago.

2 years agoby @Roberto-MataFlag

16. zeus

@Roberto-Mata I can see Tom Hardy doing bond, much later as you said

2 years agoby @zeusFlag

17. Roberto Mata

@zeus He said that he would love to have Tom Hardy as his leading man, I like the idea, but Daniel Craig owns the part, and the trilogy has been great so far, maybe when Daniel Craig retires from the Bond movies, I Guess!

2 years agoby @Roberto-MataFlag

18. zeus

@Roberto-Mata WHat can we do indeed. Darker James Bond, where did you read that? The direction Bond movies are taking now is good at the moment, the whole trilogy of Bond origins was brilliant. But the sound of a darker Bond does sound intriguing, maybe he was talking about dark as in a black James bond..Jokes!!

2 years agoby @zeusFlag

So which part is Beckinsale playing?

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

20. MovieManiac

I was never a fan of the series but the one thing that i did like was the fact that they took place in the 1930's. Made it seem unique and set it apart from other adventure/action movies that were released then. No desire to see this one.

2 years agoby @moviemaniac66Flag

21. David garcia

They need to wrap this up, seriously. Please no more remake. And OMFG...if they do it to Jurassic Park, I will explode in universal's face.

2 years agoby @David-garcia-67788063Flag

22. Roberto Mata

@zeus You have a good point, there, Hollywood is remaking every movie and now they are remaking films that are not even close to old, Hollywood doesn't make original films anymore, the only one who makes them this days is Chris Nolan, and now he is talking about making a Darker James Bond film in the near future, what can we do right?

2 years agoby @Roberto-MataFlag

23. the MovieGhost

@dan1 That's the only one I've ever seen and, after learning this, the only one I EVER plan on seeing.

2 years agoby @the-movieghostFlag

24. The_Crow2k

They said the same with Spider-Man and look how it turn out to be...

2 years agoby @the-crow2kFlag

I'll pass. I enjoyed the 99 remake, I don't need another one any time soon.

2 years agoby @dan1Flag

26. zeus

@Roberto-Mata I forgot, he did direct underworld and yes did do a good job in on it. But my problem is just this whole remake after remake, the movie is barely a decade old, why now, maybe 20years from now. Going back to third Mummy movie, my biggest problem was Racheal Weisz not being in it, it just felt wrong, not to say Maria Bello is not a good actress but it was not meant for her.

2 years agoby @zeusFlag

27. Roberto Mata

@zeus It will at least be different, Set in Modern day and it will have a much darker tone. Brendan Fraser's The Mummy was pretty good, the sequel was ok and the third one was freaking terrible, i almost left the theater in the first 20 minutes, but Len Wiseman did a great job with the First two Underworld films, he put the old in a modern day world, as for Total Recall, it was good nothing special, I agree with you on the title, the movie would had been better if it wasn't for it, let's wait for a great script and cast!

2 years agoby @Roberto-MataFlag

28. Playhouse

Well, at least it'll be something relatively different. :-|

2 years agoby @playhouseFlag

29. zeus

This is a joke right. Total recall would had been better if they didn't call it total recall and this. I don't know mate!!

2 years agoby @zeusFlag