EXCLUSIVE: The Expendables 3 Starts Shooting This Fall! Wesley Snipes and Jackie Chan in Talks

Star Dolph Lundgren gives us an update on this trilogy sequel from creator Sylvester Stallone, which is aiming for a 2014 release date.
The Expendables 3 shoots this September; Wesley Snipes wanted for cast
The Expendables 3 shoots this September; Wesley Snipes wanted for cast
The Expendables franchise is a fun one to sit and speculate about. There are so many classic action icons that the series can still bring in, and the sequels might keep coming for a very long time. That's Sylvester Stallone's plan anyway. As long as people want to keep watching them, he's up for making them. And The Expendables 3 was in the planning stages well before The Expendables 2 even opened to buffo box office this past August.

We keep hearing that the next film is shooting soon. We recently caught up with one of the franchise's many stars, Dolph Lundgren, and he confirms that The Expendables 3 will likely shoot in September of this year for a 2014 debut date. He also confirms that Nicolas Cage, Jackie Chan, and Wesley Snipes are actively being sought to appear in the sequel. Though, he says that no one has officially signed on the dotted line just yet.

First, though, Dolph Lundgren himself has to shoot an entire season of an upcoming TV series before he can get back to the The Expendables 3 set.

Here is his response when we tell him we've heard rumors that The Expendables 3 is expected to shoot soon.

"No, I don't think it will be until this fall. That is what I have heard. I am doing this other thing. I have this TV series, it's called Rescue 3. Its an action series. We are rescuing people...Or killing them, which is the case here today...I play the leader of this unit in California that saves people. We use choppers, and life guards. The coast guard...I have to do that first. That takes six or seven months out of this year. I will be done in September. From what I understand, they won't even have The Expendables 3 ready until the fall. To go. It may work out that I can do both this year."

Is the script ready?

"It isn't. I haven't seen it. I know they are working on it, but I haven't seen anything. I'll find out what it is in a couple of months."

Dolph Lundgren also talked about collaborating on the screenplay with Sylvester Stallone, noting that the story is usually the least of his concerns.

"I let him go at it first. He kind of knows me creatively, and personally, because we've worked together quite a bit. So I will usually read the script, and then I will add a few comments about this or that. He knows all of the actors that are in the piece, and there are so many characters involved. They all want to be involved, and everyone wants to have a little something special to do. So, he tries to satisfy that. He's done a great job so far. And I trust him. I usually add a few comments, and he is open to that. Yeah, if everything works out...All these other variables...Then I am not that worried about the script, really."

Lastly, he commented about the recent casting rumors that we've heard.

"I don't know anything for sure. I know...I have heard that they do want Wesley Snipes. They want Jackie Chan. Nicolas Cage, I have heard too. But we don't know want is going on just yet. All of those are pretty great names. They are good actors, and I think the fans would love to see them in there, with the rest of us, for sure. Yeah."

The Expendables 3 comes to theaters August 15th, 2014 and stars Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Antonio Banderas, Wesley Snipes, Dolph Lundgren, Mel Gibson, Harrison Ford. The film is directed by Patrick Hughes.

1. Dfella504

yes he will john should put da ultimate team together an fuk them up sh*t should b great!!!!! lol

1 year agoby @dfellaFlag

2. Cheetoboy

@jasonkat Your right Travolta would make another great villain, and that was good what you had in mind for Steven Seagal. Yeah, your right if they get Nic Cage they should get him to play a character that'll bring us back to his 90s era, where he was really badass in almost anything he played.

1 year agoby @cheetoboyFlag

3. Justhim_sir

Nicolas Cage should start doing comedy movies again, as insane actor in most his roles nowadays. I hope Jet Li comes back and stay in for this one, in the last one he left and and came back at the very end. I too think Kurt Russell will make a fine addiction to the franchise.

1 year agoby @justhim-sirFlag

4. Justhim_sir

And Wesley should be out this year (late spring or early summer), that'll be cool.

1 year agoby @justhim-sirFlag

5. TheDude1

Snipes and Cage in The Expendables 3 would be epic! Hopefully Christopher Lambert is in it as well.

1 year agoby @thedude1Flag

6. THE JOKER

I'm sure it's just going to be more of the same! One liners, gore, explosions... Wait why am I complaining?!

1 year agoby @mcleve02Flag

7. JasonKat

@cheetoboy
    I agree on having Liam Neeson in EX3, He would easily fit right in, as somebody who knows Barney, or something, maybe an old friend. Who seriously would be hard to kill. or "defeat" but that line right there only fits none other than "Steven Seagal" Who i think would be the perfect baddy.
    While i too agree that "cage' could use a hit movie right now, the guy is getting kinda old and/or doesnt really seem to make his character(s) believeable. Seems like hes always playing the same character in all his films. Hopefully if he gets the call. that they can give him a real character.
    Another guy i had in mind for a baddy could be john travolta.

1 year agoby @jasonkatFlag

@thedude-abides Yes, yes they do. Might help his career from the bones

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

9. Cheetoboy

Come to think of it Jackie Chan would be cool, as long as he's the old school 80's-90's R rated Jackie. Also yes Nic Cage must be in this, honestly he could use a hit movie. And I'll even be more stoked if they get Wesley Snipes, he should play a villain, and also they should get Michael Jai White, he can be like his badass evil second in command sidekick, also they must get Steven Seagal, Kurt Russell, Donnie Yen, Harrison Ford would also be awesome, but a huge boxoffice draw would be Liam Neeson, come to think of it he should play a great villain, like someone who's equal to Stallone's character and also has some background history together.

1 year agoby @cheetoboyFlag

10. Jennifer Taylor Edward

all i know now is that jackie chan will be on expendables 3 but not nic cage thank god

1 year agoby @Jennifer-Taylor-EdwardFlag

11. Metalsfury

ACTION TRILOGY- That's what we crave so how bout including Antonio Banderas and Christopher Lambert. Jackie Chan, that's a great acquisition and Wesley Snipes is not too shabby either.. Kurt Russell would be really great as well, they Need him involved as well.. so far so brutally awesome though

1 year agoby @metalheadfuryFlag

12. JasonKat

i agree, Expendables-1 was way better than part2, for a lot of reasons. Part3 should follow the same route as the first film. b4 it starts shifting into a stupid comedy,
    As for a new star in Expendables-3, i would say bring in guys like robert de niro, tommy lee jones, maybe al pacino, and ford. as a group of mafi con men or something like that, But if they wanna stick to 1 top villian then i say.. snipes, seagal or the rock. YEA you heard that right, The rock. a unstopable baddass who could easily live on and return in part4, maybe get killed off in that film. but it would be kool if the rock or ANYBODY kills Gunner, lol i cant stand him. killing him off would the bring the rest of the team to kill whoever murdered Gunner. would make for a good story.

1 year agoby @jasonkatFlag

13. Charlotte Francisco

They have to get Kurt Russell!!! Bring Snake Back!!!

1 year agoby @Charlotte-FranciscoFlag

14. Justin Lomas

Ex1 was awesome and Ex 2 was even better just because they took themselves a lot less seriously in the 2nd film. 3rd film needs Jackie Chan,Wesley Snipes, Danny Trejo and Stephen Segal! Maybe even get an original badass like clinteastwood to be in it. Could play someones father haha

1 year agoby @justin-lomasFlag

15. Winne Bagel

I liked the EX2, but EX1 was much better. I hope for better fights in EX3. That last fight in EX2 was pretty tame and too short.

1 year agoby @Winne-BagelFlag

16. Angelo Brisinte

Am I the only one who hates Ex2, but loves the first Ex?

1 year agoby @angelo-brisinteFlag

17. SherlockHolmes2009

Hey the bring in Jackie Chan, Steven Seagal, and Wesley Snipes and all 3 battle it out against each other then im completly sold

1 year agoby @SherlockHolmes2009Flag

18. ChuckConnors

They gotta get Kurt Russell. Growing up he was my next favorite bad ass next to Arnold, Stallone, and Willis.

1 year agoby @chuckconnorsFlag