EXCLUSIVE: Season Four Could Be 'Supernatural''s Last!

The future of this popular CW series hangs in the balance.
Supernatural
Supernatural
Despite a powerful boost in ratings this season, Supernatural has not been picked up for a fifth season by the CW. While chatting with the show's very own Jared Padalecki, who plays demon hunting brother Sam Winchester, it became clear that he was uncertain about the series' future. No one is positive that Supernatural will be returning next year, and when asked about season four's finale, he said that it just might be the last we see of Sam and Dean.

Everyone on set is hopeful that the popular horror drama, which revolves around two spook-snaring brothers, will continue to thrive. But Padalecki, doing the press rounds for his upcoming horror remake Friday the 13th, said that creator Eric Kripke was indeed preparing a series ending climax that would wrap everything up. Kripke is planning to end it all this spring, but if there is a last minute pick-up, he does have a cliffhanger waiting in the wings that will be added at the last second.

Jared says that if the series continues into a fifth season, it will revolve around Dean's revelation as an angel. And that season five would for sure be the show's last. You can watch our exclusive video interview with Jared Padalecki in the next couple of days, where he reveals even more about the future of Supernatural. Watch our exclusive interview with Jared Padalecki below.

Friday the 13th opens in theaters nationwide on Friday, February 13th, 2009.

Friday the 13th was released February 13th, 2009 and stars Jared Padalecki, Danielle Panabaker, Amanda Righetti, Travis Van Winkle, Aaron Yoo, Derek Mears, Jonathan Sadowski, Julianna Guill. The film is directed by Marcus Nispel.

Sources: Paulington James Christensen III

1. Dolly_Sniper

Unfortunately, as good as this show is it can't go on forever. It has become one of the best things to watch. Most t.v. has become crap lately, yet Supernatural remains well scripted and filmed. AS far as the story line changing so much, who could we blame? Numerous individuals for sure... I want the show to continue as much as everyone else but the facts are A)It could damage the boy's careers by being stuck in the same characters. B)If they kept it going for X amount of seasons, they would eventually run out of material. C)People always lose interest in things they become obsessed with, meaning even the die hard fans will eventually get bored and find something else to watch. As far as the season 5 description goes, if it is going to revolve around Dean being an angel then they should end it at 4. C'mon, is "Dean the Angel" the character we have all come to know and love? No! Dean the obnoxious, over-bearing, over-protective, goofball is.

5 years agoby @dolly-sniperFlag

2. SavageSK

The writers are starting to worry me, the last 3 eps have VERY LITTLE to do with the storyline as it has been up to this point..all of a sudden certain chars are there, then its like they dont exist anymore, possibly a sign of things to come? Ive seen series do this before, but that was usually when they were trying to dig themselves out and save themselves, usually doesnt work...and then the series usually just goes 'blah' afterwards....hopefully seeing as Ive been following this show for 4 seasons, it doesnt do this...im hoping....

5 years agoby @savageskFlag

3. NaturalSuper

I love this season so much. I think I've seen a record amount of funny episodes in one season and we are only 14 episodes into season 4. Lately it has been more sombre with the revelations over the past few episodes but I like it. We are getting down to where Sam will soon be turning to the dark side or getting extremely close to it so I understand that the storylines are getting more serious. But from what I've read we will still get possibly a couple more funny episodes before what I expect to be a pretty intense last few episodes of the season. God, I love the intensity of this show. Lesser actors probablly wouldn't be able to pull it off!!

5 years agoby @naturalsuperFlag

4. valentina

I want & seasons
    Supernatural is the best ever
    I want more Dean and SAM

5 years agoby @valentinaFlag

5. spok507

Last year's 'early' pick-up was in March, so no need to worry yet. Besides, Supernatural is the only series on the CW that has increased it's ratings this year. Despite it's tough timeslot, it's the #2 scripted show n the network and probably the only one that can survive in the time slot against the big boys. Both stars are still contracted thru a 5th season, so it's the only top rated network series with no problems for renewal. Hopefully, the CW execs are actually using their brains. This seems like a pretty simple decision to me.

5 years agoby @spok507Flag

6. toti33

well, i found this season better than season 3 (imo, some episodes of season four are very well written)... but as someone said before, i miss the original plot... at least then the two brothers were funny and not completely miserable as they are now. In those times, Sam used to be independent, very self confident, a little fussy, yes but tender.. And now? Now sam is bitter, oppressed... and omg, he is 26 years old and still has to folllow orders of his older brother???!!! He don&#180t even have a car!!! Just a laptop!!! And dean...dean a torturer???!!! dean used to be funny, with a kind of weird, extremely obsessive love for his little brother, yes, but funny... And now? Now he is not funny, he is ridiculous, and when he is not the clown of the show, he is unbearable, always crying or giving orders because of his PTSD.

5 years agoby @toti33Flag

7. SpeAch-X

SuperNatural must Continue...It must..im a big fan of this show..

5 years agoby @speach-xFlag

8. Oli

Hopefully there's a fifth season.

5 years agoby @reviloleeFlag

9. Monica28

I hope Supernatural does not end right away... That would suck. This show has lots of potenial.. Keep up the good work.

5 years agoby @monica28Flag

10. greyrzeznik

It'd be nice if they recapped what Jared REALLY said instead of just trying to rile up fan paranoia. Get the recapper a hearing aide, perhaps. Nothing Jared said indicates the show is ending. Jensen Ackles just told this same interviewer that Kripke is shifting things around to prepare for Season 5 because ratings have boomed. Kripke has always been prepared for the possibility of not being renewed each year. That's nothing new and what Jared was trying to get across. And nowhere here does Jared say Dean will BE an angel. He said Dean's "angel thing" meaning why Dean is so important to them that they brought him back from Hell.

5 years agoby @greyrzeznikFlag

11. Clockworkcookie

thank god, I'm watching season 3 now and it sucks, probably won't watch many more episodes unless I'm really bored. This show went seriously downhill once they were done with the original plot.

5 years agoby @clockworkcookieFlag

12. Diaigma

Everything ends sometime I guess.

5 years agoby @diaigmaFlag

13. Samantha_W

Noooooooooooo. Is the best show ever!!!!.

5 years agoby @samantha-wFlag

14. NaturalSuper

It's not like I'm incredible heartbroken but I was actually psyched about Dean possibly being an angel. I don't care what people think about it, I just thought it would be nice to see Dean have an ability or something that is special instead of Sam always coming off as the Chosen one. Thank god for the angels getting Dean out of Hell. That's pretty special. If anything in this post gets all the Sam-lovers up in arms that was not my intention. I love the hell out of the both of them but Sam has gotten on my nerves a little lately. Still love him though! Can't wait to see Jared and Jensen as Sam and Dean for at least one more season!! It's a no-brainer that they'll be picked up. Ratings are too good this season.

5 years agoby @naturalsuperFlag

15. bosshey

In every possible interview I have seen with either Jensen or Jared, even Misha, Jim or whoever plays a recurring role on here, they always say the following: "We don't know what's going to happen in advance; we go script by script, page by page". So how could he know what's going to happen in season 5 if they don't even know the ending of season 4 yet??? Guys, take a chill pill and don't take these articles too seriously. It's not worth it. Kripke said from the begining that he would love to have 5 seasons, and I'm sticking with that fact. If the show doesn't get renewed I just think the network is gonna lose big... but I wouldn't be scared, because the boys are showing the ratings right now and I'm sure it will not be unnoticed!

5 years agoby @bossheyFlag

16. kaosgurl

WHOAAAAA.... ok what jared said is polar opposite to what the article says... MOVIEWEB, you guys need to pay more attention during your interviews!!! or atleast send a reporter that does some research on the show beforehand... jared didnt mean dean's angel revelation, he meant what his case is with the angels... you guys made it sound as though dean is becoming an angel...

5 years agoby @kaosgurlFlag

17. lisha

in the video?
    where did he imply that?

he said that he thinks in season 5 they'll "dive really deeply into Dean's whole angel deal, and figure out why he's so important to the angels"

IDK where they got the "dean as a angel" part from.

5 years agoby @lishaFlag

18. Alyce (Uh-Lease)

but it was implied that he would be...so whats with that??? he dies...not cool

5 years agoby @alyceepoohFlag

19. lisha

um,the video doesnt match the article.
    Jared says they havent been picked up YET and they think they'll go for 5 seasons.
    maybe because this is movieweb yall dont know how it works with shows.
    they got picked up early last year in march the regular time to find out if a show is picked up is in may. thats why this "news" is no where else ,because no show have been picked up yet so its not really news.

PS
    he didnt say Dean was or would be an angel.

5 years agoby @lishaFlag

20. Shelley

I just read on tvbythenumbers.com that CW is cancelling Privileged but everything else will likely be renewed.

5 years agoby @shelleyFlag

21. nimmerlein

Geez. What kind of idiot writes those transcripts? It's like the complete oposite of what Jared actually said in the interview.

5 years agoby @nimmerleinFlag

22. sar7pro

It's a joke right???

5 years agoby @sar7proFlag

23. mikek21m

It wouldn't make any sense if Dean was an angel because Sera has specifically said that while demons were once humans, angels never were. Er, unless they rip out their grace and fall apparently which I hope to god isn't what they're going to be saying is how Dean was conceived. I prefer him to be a human fighter. I want a Season 5 so bad BUT I'm not sure that I'd be quite as enthusiastic about one if I knew they were going to use it to make Dean an angel...

5 years agoby @mikek21mFlag

24. nimmerlein

God, I hope Jared was joking. Who the heck would ever wanna see Dean as an angel??? After all his humanity is why he's so very adorable. Besides, I'd been kinda hoping that they'd get this whole angel plot over with soon, so the show can focus on what it's actually about, again. Sam and Dean and their brother relationship. Man, I've been missing that lately.

5 years agoby @nimmerleinFlag

25. kaosgurl

I doubt that the CW will cancel Supernatural, especially after their highest rated season yet. Its the only show on that network that deserves saving. If they were to cancel anything, it should be Smallville. Its the never ending series that has run its course a long long time ago.

5 years agoby @kaosgurlFlag

26. Shelley

I with you Killerman, Supernatural is the only show I watch on CW also. So it will be pretty easy for me to stop watching the channel too. I do however think the show will run for at least one more season.

5 years agoby @shelleyFlag

27. GMPound

Geezo, fear monger much, movieweb? Jared knows as much about the future of SPN as we do - which is to say nothing. They don't even see their scripts until about a week before they shoot the next episode. Jared doesn't know what's going to happen next, and he can only speculate - just as we do. I just read one of these Friday 13th press junket interviews, and yeah, he says it's frustrating to not know if SPN will be picked up, but NOBODY knows if they'll be renewed until May. All shows are in the same boat.

Also, SPN has better ratings than ever, and I've seen some very wise heads in the business giving some very positive vibes. Jared isn't going to tell us anything magical about the future of SPN - because he can't. He can only speculate, just like we do. Don't worry, guys. Kripke's not telling the boys any Big Secrets, and SPN is doing pretty darned good. Jared will speculate, but he doesn't KNOW.

5 years agoby @gmpoundFlag

28. kaybee88

I highly doubt Kripke would spill the beans about the Season 4 finale to Jared since the boys have always said that Eric usually keeps them in the dark till they get the script. And even if they do know what's going to happen, I don't think they would spoil it for the fans.
    Supernatural has always been on the bubble for renewal. We can only hope they get an early renewal like last season.

5 years agoby @kaybee88Flag

29. NaturalSuper

You make sense Kends. I'm just hoping that the show gets picked up for its last season. I need time to say goodbye! Haha! I kinda hope that "Dean's revelation as an angel" comment is true though. I think that would be awesome!

5 years agoby @naturalsuperFlag

30. kends

You should probably bring up the fact that the CW hasn't picked up any of their shows for next season yet and that's because it's February and except for special occasions, shows don't get renewal decisions until May. You know, instead of making it sound like it's unusual that it hasn't gotten picked up. So the Supernatural crew finding out the show got picked up in May wouldn't be "last minute" it would be the normal time to find out. Also, I doubt very much Jared said the exact words "the fifth season will revolve around Dean's revelation as an angel" considering Jared stated many times and again very recently that he doesn't know what is happening in the show outside of the scripts he is given. I doubt very much that he has any idea what is happening next season, so I can't help but think that line was taken out of context.

5 years agoby @kendsFlag