EXCLUSIVE: Samuel L. Jackson Talks 'Iron Man 2' and 'The Avengers'

The Oscar nominated actor discusses his role as S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Nick Fury in the upcoming Marvel Universe films.
Samuel L. Jackson is Nick Fury
Samuel L. Jackson is Nick Fury
In 2001, when Marvel Comics was creating their new "Ultimate" line of graphic novels that would feature a more realistic version of the Marvel Universe, they asked Oscar Nominated actor and all-around badass Samuel L. Jackson if he would consent to lending his likeness to the character of S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent, and all-around badass Nick Fury. The actor and admitted comic book fan agreed to let Marvel use his image so it only made sense that they would also approach him to play the character on the big screen as well. Fans were delighted to see the actor portray the role, albeit in a extremely brief cameo, during the end credits of '2008s Iron Man but it left them wondering when we would finally get to see Fury in all of his badass glory on the silver screen? Well, fans hoping to see Jackson's Fury get in on the action and kick some major ass in next month's Iron Man 2 shouldn't be holding their breath according to the actor.

Jackson is currently out promoting his new film Mother and Child, opening in theaters on May 7th and we had a chance to speak to the actor about Iron Man 2 and playing Nick Fury. We first asked Jackson if he does in fact get to "kick some major ass" in Iron Man 2 and if we will finally get to see his badass Fury in full action? "No, I get to talk really harshly with Robert Downey Jr., but that is about it," answered Jackson. "So far that's all I'm doing." In 2009, after the success of Iron Man, Marvel Studios wisely signed Jackson to an unprecedented nine-picture deal to appear as Nick fury in not only Iron Man 2 but also the upcoming films Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger and The Avengers, not to mention a possible solo film starring the character. It was recently announced that Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Firefly mastermind, as well as frequent Marvel Comics writer, Joss Whedon would be directing The Avengers, which promises to tie all the Marvel Studios film characters together in one movie. We finished by asking Jackson if he was happy that Whedon would be directing the The Avengers and if he was excited to be working with him on the project? "Yes I am," replied Jackson. "I'm looking forward to that."

Iron Man 2 was released May 7th, 2010 and stars Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Scarlett Johansson, Sam Rockwell, Mickey Rourke, Samuel L. Jackson, Clark Gregg. The film is directed by Jon Favreau, Kenneth Branagh.

Marvel's The Avengers was released May 4th, 2012 and stars Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner, Tom Hiddleston, Clark Gregg. The film is directed by Joss Whedon.

Sources: Jami Philbrick

1. T.Clark

He's rewriting Avengers and it's rumored that he was rewriting Cap, too.

4 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

I think he can handle the directing part. Joss has created shows with multiple characters of a dynamic quality, so the many heroes on- screen does not concern me. What does concern me is the script. If he writes a bad script, which some say he did on Wonder Woman, or if he is handed a poor script, then his directing skills are meaningless.

4 years agoby @ejk1Flag

3. T.Clark

Astonishing X-Men is fantastic. Not sure if that garners him enough credit to helm the Avengers, but we'll see. I mean, I'd rather it be Whedon than Leterrier. I liked Incredible Hulk, but Clash of the Titans was horrible. I think TIH's success was more do to Norton's guidance than Leterrier's.

4 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

4. CBF

@insertusernamehere

Well, I mean I like his work on Buffy/Angel and the current comics of each franchise that canonically take place after each show. Of course he is the creator of those properties, and I feel that's where his strength lies. Never seen Firefly or his only directed film Serenity. I know we're pretty much safe with Favreau producing, or at least I hope the film is. But if it is true that Whedon is on board to helm this, and Marvel just hasn't put it out for some mysterious reason (why would they hold back such big news like director of The Avengers - their biggest film??), then I guess as long as he doesn't touch the Avengers & Cap scripts. Wait no, I still will be disappointed. Because Whedon doesn't have the caliber for this type of movie. I mean people are saying they'll just wait for the trailer to make up their minds. By then it's too late. It doesn't matter what you think about it then because it's already been made. Whedon may have been good for a solo hero flick like Wonder Woman, but the biggest hero flick of them all? And he's only directed one movie before? As I said I think he's awesome on the Buffy Season 8 comics and Angel: After the Fall. Haven't read Astonishing X-Men. But I don't feel he's up to par for this grand scale of a project.

4 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

5. T.Clark

*Will YOU be disappointed...*

4 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

6. T.Clark

Will be disappointed if Joss is directing, or are you okay with it?

I myself think he'll do a good job as long as he's got Favreau producing. Their creativity and experience combined should put out a good flick...but if Whedon didn't have Favreau at his side, I wouldn't be as okay with it.

4 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

7. CBF

@ejk1: I don't believe that Joss is directing because it hasn't been announced officially or by the studio itself. Not to mention it'e one of those things that just doesn't feel right. It's not official. I really don't believe these things unless Marvel officially announces them. Chances are if they haven't, it isn't true. It would have been posted on Marvel's website just like when Chris Evans was cast as Cap, here [ http://marvel.com/news/movies/ ]. Websites will report whatever they want, as we learn online all the time, most turn out to be falsified rumors. And yes, even if multiple websites report the same thing. You have to look deeper into it, like what was the first source. If it wasn't an official source, you cannot trust it. And if they say "our inside source tells us' but don't tell you who the source is that's another run-around. All the sites do this, and trust me, I have looked for the source but have come up short. Marvel has not reported this or said anything on the matter, so for now, it's just rumors, which I don't concern myself with.

4 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

8. Shadow Of The Day

Great.

4 years agoby @asifFlag

9. T.Clark

Renner was rumored for Hawkeye, but I don't believe it was ever confirmed. In fact, I think he denied it himself. So why MW has him listed is beyond me, unless I missed something.

@TheMime: Do your comic book research. It wouldn't be a stretch for Fury to be played by Clooney, for while the Ultimate version may be based on Sam Jackson, the original Marvel U version is white.

4 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

10. Xenon

after the credits, I'll pop it in this coming weekend.
    With Josh's career The Avengers might do well.
    I would prefer all of the comic book hero films to be epic, but not all directors think that way.

4 years agoby @xenon56Flag

11. Emmytt

@firstonetodieloses yea a 3 hour epic would be awesome and ejk1 i am trust me that is my last response to that bitch

4 years agoby @emmyttFlag

12. kingbrady

NEVERMIND......he plays Jarvis thats right lol and according to IMDB jeremy renner isnt even listed

4 years agoby @kingbradyFlag

13. kingbrady

First: who is Jeremy Renner playing
    Second: Where is Chris Evans listed in the Avengers?
    Third: I never knew Paul Bettany was cast in Ironman 2, when did this happen

4 years agoby @kingbradyFlag

Josh: I'm sure he's feeling pretty good right about now.

CBF: Do you not believe he's directing it because you don't want him to, or that you need to see it to believe it?

Emmyt: Do not Respond to Mrman anymore. You're only frustrating yourself.

Avian: Ditto.

Mrman: I don't know what point you're trying to prove, but if you're goal was to alienate many people, then you've succeeded greatly. You're socially retarded posts are ridiculous, inane, and most of all, offensive. I was happy someone had the sense to remove your Kick-Ass review, and was hoping it was you. However, seeing how you continued your vulgarity in the box-office post, it is clear to me that it was not you. It's a shame that someone feels the need to make this kind of a spectacle of themselves. I truly pity you. Until you fix whatever is wrong with you, I will not respond to anything you post. I hope everyone else does the same.

4 years agoby @ejk1Flag

Cap is already cast, and I can not see him doing the Avengers scream.. and he is too c*cky. Stick to Hawkeye.

4 years agoby @narratorFlag

16. Solar XI

Renner isn't playing Hawkeye but would make a kick-ass Cap.

4 years agoby @solarxiFlag

17. Solar XI

The Avengers can possibly turn out like Terminator Salvation (the video game). With Captain America being technically the oldest but the youngest (for those who follow Captain America) he would be like John Connor moving up the ranks to being leader for the Avengers. If that makes sense.

4 years agoby @solarxiFlag

18. firstonetodieloses

@themime: its pegasus. no big.

renner would be sick as hawkeye, they all ready have an amazing cast so I'm pretty excited for this. I dunno if they're planning on bringing in Wasp and Ant-Man but that would wrap up the Avengers pretty nicely. I want to see an epic 3 hour movie! I don't know about Whedon directing I'm kind of 50/50 on it. There's more experienced directors for this kind of movie out there but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until I see a trailer!

4 years agoby @firstonetodielosesFlag

19. Avian

Off topic I know, but Movieweb staff, ban Mrman3810. I'm sure everyone is sick of this low-life.

4 years agoby @avian005Flag

20. ZanyZap

Great news.

I'm also looking forward to Mother & Child: great cast, interesting story, and possible Oscar contender (despite its early release).

4 years agoby @zanyzapFlag

As good as Renner would be as Hawkeye, I still don't fully see it. Josh Holloway is all around Hawkeye and he already has a big fan base (Lost)

Anyways this is cool. I didn't expect any more from him than talking.

However, it would be cool if the Avengers' main character was Hawkeye, being new to the team, and being there with the big boys, and he would serve as the audiences eyes. then Cap being the younger, unsure leader, and etc etc. That would be an awesome Avengers flick.

4 years agoby @narratorFlag

22. Emmytt

@mrman3810
    shut the f*ck up

4 years agoby @emmyttFlag

23. Emmytt

i cant wait to see Nick Fury kick some ass

4 years agoby @emmyttFlag

24. TheMime

George Clooney as Fury....HHaaa!... a little similar to what they did on Clash of the Titans; where they changed Pecauces color from white to Black. Things like that always cracks me the-f*ck up.

4 years agoby @themimeFlag

25. CBF

Todd watch after the credits.

And I still don't believe that Joss Whedon is directing The Avengers.

4 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

26. Xenon

I never saw him in Iron Man, still think George Clooney should be Nick Fury. Hell he would be perfect for Sam Fisher as well, he's the right age for both of them.

I've seen the entire film three times, and Sam isn't even in it, not in the end before the credits.

4 years agoby @xenon56Flag

27. T.Clark

Jeremy Renner was never confirmed as Hawkeye, was he? I thought it was denied.

4 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

28. Josh

I wonder how Whedon feels to have the chance to direct A-list actors like Jackson and Downey Jr.

4 years agoby @shuabertFlag

29. Chris

Another reason to watch Iron Man 2 and I can't wait for may 4.

4 years agoby @unknown21Flag

30. Jason27

That's a bad ass pic of Nick!

4 years agoby @jason27Flag