EXCLUSIVE: 'Pitch Perfect 2' in the Works; Rebel Wilson to Return

Skylar Astin will also meet with Universal Pictures about reprising his roles in this possible sequel to the hit musical comedy.
Pitch Perfect 2 in the works at Universal Pictures
Pitch Perfect 2 in the works at Universal Pictures
This past October saw the release of Universal Picture's Pitch Perfect, a musical comedy centering around collegiate Acapella groups. While the film took in a modest $63.9 million at the box office, it wasn't one of the biggest monetary hits of the year. But it proved to be one of the more original movies released in 2012, and has quickly gained a huge fan following, making it one of the few true cult films in recent memory. That cult is sure to grow even bigger as the film hits Blu-ray and DVD this week.

It makes sense that Universal would want a sequel, and possibly a franchise. We might have to wait and see how well the home video release does before we hear any official word on Pitch Perfect 2, but we recently talked with Skylar Astin about the possibilities for a sequel, and he revealed that he and star Rebel Wilson are in talks with Universal about a follow-up.

"I do have a meeting with a Universal representative next week. And I know that Rebel Wilson had hers last weekend. It's definitely a talking point."

He then talked about what he'd like to see in Pitch Perfect 2, and the music that might be featured.

"I think that I am willing to do anything. I like to collaborate. If my voice will be heard, than I will do some research and think about it. There are definitely times where I am listening to the radio, and I think, "That would be awesome. I would love to sing that." It's this weird karaoke fantasy that I might someday get to live out on the big screen. Then again, I know there are so many politics in that decision-making. Also relevance. If we film this next year, and it doesn't come out for another year and a half, will that song still be popular? Will it be over played? I think they did such a perfect job. The music landed so perfectly when it came out the first time, I can't imagine, if the same people are involved, that lightening won't strike twice. I will sing whatever they want me to sing."

We're excited about the possibility of Pitch Perfect 2. Are you? Or are you sick of the Glee-ification of American entertainment?

Pitch Perfect was released September 28th, 2012 and stars Anna Kendrick, Skylar Astin, Ben Platt, Brittany Snow, Anna Camp, Rebel Wilson, Alexis Knapp, Ester Dean. The film is directed by Jason Moore.

1. Narine Karapetyan

It would be awesome if they brought in Pentatonix during the sequel!

12 months agoby @Narine-KarapetyanFlag

2. Paige1658

I am soo excited for this! I bet its gonna be awesome!!! xD Just watched it on my tv earlier, and i just had to search if there's gonna be a part 2!!!!

1 year agoby @Paige1658Flag

3. Priya Mathur

I'd love to see the guys and girls join as one group and sing some amazing duets! As much of the core 10 should be there - oh- and LOVE Donald!

1 year agoby @Priya-MathurFlag

4. Sammy

Anna Kendrick, Brittany Snow and Anna Camp better be in the second movie...even though Chloe and Aubrey graduated, they better be there xx
    Also a Bechloe love story should happen........if not I will pitch slap you so hard ;)

1 year agoby @Sammy-45113546Flag

5. Japhz Calderon

:) wow.. can't wait for this!. :D

1 year agoby @Japhz-CalderonFlag

6. Glennel Sarajan Rivera

Super Like This Movie c(:
    Pretty Nice !
    Im so so Excited For The Part 2 :))

1 year agoby @Glennel-Sarajan-RiveraFlag

7. Pauline Mali

pitchperfect2 please ! :) this movie was so cool.

1 year agoby @Pauline-MaliFlag

8. Cristine Castillo

this movie was soo good.cant tell u how many times ive seen it.havent got tired of it.

1 year agoby @Cristine-CastilloFlag

9. Rey Justin Divinagracia

Just watched this movie 4 times after I first watched it yesterday. I don't like it because it's more to be LOVE than to like. My gosh every music is very catchy. Talked about it at school and sing all day long especially the riff off!. It must have been love! but it's over now!. Hahaha . I already miss fat amy becca aubrey and lily :DD .

Your a Ginger /jin-jah/ :DD

1 year agoby @Rey-Justin-DivinagraciaFlag

10. Alexis Kobzey

and skyler

2 years agoby @Alexis-KobzeyFlag

11. Alexis Kobzey

and bumper better be in it

2 years agoby @Alexis-KobzeyFlag

12. Alexis Kobzey

i hope anna kendrick is in the 2end one if not im not watching it

2 years agoby @Alexis-KobzeyFlag

13. Mindy Vickery

please make another one i watch the first one everyday and i not lieing ... also u cant just leave the fans hanging .. at the end of the movie skaylor/jessie and anna/becca kiss and then it the next here and anna/becca says okay nerds lets go with ??????? what did she say i bet i not the only one who wonders what she says ... u have to make another one or all the fans are gonna be sad specally me i will miss the movie ..... please u guys dont let it just hang make a another one but have the same cast in it specially anna kendrick/becca and skaylor/ jessie ;)

2 years agoby @Mindy-VickeryFlag

14. Maggie Gwathney

Since it left off with Becca in the end when the new ones are trying out then Pitch Perfect 2 should have her in it! You can't just stop one movie with her just beginning to run the group and then the next her not even in it! Thats crazy and i would love to some of the seniors from the last Pitch Perfect in the movie it would excite the audience to see that they are in the movie.

2 years agoby @Maggie-GwathneyFlag

15. Meg

I would love to see a PP2! As long as it have Becca and Jamie in it! I want to see their relationship ... and some awesome music. I am not a GLEE fan or anything, I did enjoy this movie and Rock of Ages =)

2 years agoby @Meg-76474585Flag

16. Michael Tan

donald and stacey plus bumper and fat amy love stories!! pleeeeaaaasssseeee!!! totally hope all original characters remain plus some additional. more singing should be done also!!!

2 years agoby @Michael-Tan-63055605Flag

17. Sharon

It has to be with Aubrey. Anna Camp is gorgeous!

2 years agoby @Sharon-20560203Flag

18. mari bilge

I Just Can't Wait I Year But I Heard That anna kendrick (beca) will not play in part 2 and i think that without anna kendrick it will not be interesting, but i really interested how will be go beca and jeimy Realetionship Go... Well I Will Wait But i'm Keep Saying without anna kendrick and Skylar Austin This Will be not INTERESTING!

2 years agoby @mari-bilgeFlag

19. Kate McCallum

This is great news to my ears! i loved this movie. But i want to see where the jesse and becca story goes! It would be great to have a sequel, just as long as its the same cast list. Well.. Becca, Jesse, Fat Amy, Benji, Cynthia, Stacey and maybe not have the seniors (aubrey, chloe, bumper, donald) as members of the college/groups but they could appear in the audience? I'm happy as long as skylar astins in it!!

2 years agoby @Kate-McCallumFlag

20. Fallon Paris

i love the movie ptch perfect. i would love to see a sequel. i agree that it should be the same cast other than chloe and aubrey. i want to see how becca would run the group.

2 years agoby @Fallon-ParisFlag

21. Eleni McCallum

a sequel is awesome. keep the same cast though. or most of the cast. chloe and aubrey are allowed to leave cause they graduated but otherwise the cast should stay the same

2 years agoby @Eleni-McCallumFlag

22. rimsca

I didnt expect that I would like this movie but I did and I do hope there is sequel just dont change the cast they are all great and funny!

2 years agoby @rimscaFlag

23. MovieManiac

@ROFLitschristian - Well by announcing it now it already is pretty rushed. If they can make a funny script again thats worth while then go for it. Just don't make it some new cast or anything.

2 years agoby @moviemaniac66Flag

24. MovieManiac

@dark-env - Yeah. I don't care if a film series has multiple sequels or is even remade to be honest. If it doesn't suck dick then i'll watch it.

2 years agoby @moviemaniac66Flag

25. Daniel Cantu

Another one? Ok seems legit

2 years agoby @Deadpoolx11Flag

26. ROFLitschristian

@moviemaniac66 Yeah. I just hope they don't rush it.

2 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

27. Dark enV

@moviemaniac66 I'm right there with you, I enjoyed the movie, didn't expect to but I did. The idea of a sequel doesn't necessarily bother me but I'd prefer they keep Kendrick in the film if they do. This will probably end up being like Bring it On where it gets a bunch of direct to DVD sequels

2 years agoby @dark-envFlag

28. MovieManiac

@ROFLitschristian - Lool, yeah thats usually what happens with musicals. If they can make it funny and fresh again then go for it. I feel like this is more of a cash grab though but i could be proven wrong.

2 years agoby @moviemaniac66Flag

29. CelluloidDreams

Why do we need a Part 2?! Hollywood doesn't have any original ideas!?!?

Never saw "Pitch Perfect" in theater.... waiting for DVD. "Pitch Perfect" never came to a theater close to me.

2 years agoby @2movieguysFlag

30. ROFLitschristian

@moviemaniac66 I was also thoroughly surprised with this. I honestly don't mind of a sequel if it's of equal or greater value. At most I was predicting a direct-to-DVD sequel with some Disney star.

2 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag