EXCLUSIVE: Pete Travis Not Directing 'Dredd 2'; the Director Remains Hopeful for a Sequel

Writer Alex Garland and star Karl Urban have a trilogy in mind for this under-seen comic book adaptation.
Pete Travis is not directing Dredd 2
Pete Travis is not directing Dredd 2
Dredd 3D, an adaptation of the popular UK comic book series, was a criminally under-seen action film that quickly gained a cult following upon its short theatrical release back in September of last year. Fans loved it and want a sequel, which might still happen if the Blu-ray and DVD, released this past Tuesday, become a hit.

Director Pete Travis thinks there will be a follow-up. He is very hopeful, and revealed to us that writer Alex Garland and star Karl Urban have a trilogy in mind. That said, he doesn't think he will return to the helm, though.

"I don't think so. I really hope there is a second one. I just feel very lucky to have been involved in the first one. It has been a great experience for me. I read Alex Garland's script two years ago, and I feel in love with it then. I have enjoyed the whole process of working on that with him, and bringing it to the screen. It was extraordinary. I hope they get the chance to make another one. I think Dredd is an extraordinary character. I think Karl Urban captured him so perfectly. I think there is a real beautiful future there."

He continued, revealing what Alex has in mind for a follow-up.

"I think Alex Garland has a trilogy in his mind. I think there is a whole exciting journey in front of Dredd if Alex and Karl Urban get to take him on that journey. The future is really exciting for him. Especially in terms of going with some of the other characters from the comic book. Finding out more about where Dredd comes from. I also think its exciting, the possibilities. The first film does go all out as a visual feast. Whoever gets a chance to do the others willl take that, and make it even more exciting. I can't wait to see it.

I don't really know how the sequel thing works, really. I hope they get another chance to make a second film. I think Karl Urban...He is Dredd. It would be really exciting for them to make another, and go further with that character. I sincerely hope so..."

Is Pete Travis done with the comic book genre? Not by a long shot.

"No. I wasn't looking for a comic book movie when I found Dredd. Like I say, it was all about the script. There is another comic book script that I have been sent, that I quite like. I hope it might get made this year. I think comic books and graphic novels are exciting. I think there are tons of ways to make them more real. It's an area I am really excited about."

Can he tell us which comic book movie he is working on?

"No, not at the moment. It is in the early stage."

With so many directors passing on Star Wars: Episode VII, is it possible that this visionary action master might be next in line for the job offer?

"I wouldn't count out anything in this business, really. Who knows what tomorrow will bring? Who wouldn't be interested in that? I loved it as a kid. I loved it while I was growing up. So, who knows?"

What do you think? Do you want Dredd 2? Is Pete Travis a good candidate for Star Wars: Episode VII? Share your thoughts below.

Dredd 3D was released September 21st, 2012 and stars Karl Urban, Rachel Wood, Andile Mngadi, Porteus Xandau Steenkamp, Jason Cope, Emma Breschi, Olivia Thirlby, Rakie Ayola. The film is directed by Pete Travis.

1. Lotfi Hdv

I can't sleep until I see a trilogy, I might even do a hunger strike

12 months agoby @Lotfi-HdvFlag

2. Juicy1

I want their to be a Dredd 2 and 3 movie. I want action figures and vehicle toys to be made.

1 year agoby @Juicy1Flag

3. Alderaan Gotblownup

Come ooonnnnn, trilogy!!!
    *fingers crossed*

1 year agoby @Alderaan-GotblownupFlag

4. Mordorwolf

Watched Dredd twice(!) this weekend with my son. It is a stunning film in every sense and they should definiteley make a sequel and a third movie to follow. I really hope they do - we wouldn't like to be disappointed!

1 year agoby @mordorwolfFlag

5. Bradley Conder

Well I am very happy that they are at least still talking about a sequel and that the idea hasn't been completely shelved. Perhaps the recent strong home release as well as an expectation of a better turnout for the sequel will convince them to make it.

1 year agoby @Bradley-ConderFlag

6. Rudy

They have to get someone better for the marketing because seriously, there wasn't even a trailer for the first one until 3 months before the release!! And get some more character development and more insight into the Dredd Universe. The first one was just one giant fight scene.

1 year agoby @rudyFlag

7. Ev1l_Sp00n

I really enjoyed the Dredd 3D loved the use of slow-mo and the 3D was done correctly, also like the fact no removing of the helmet, not like the poor Stallone version.
    When I got to speak to Karl Urban about Dredd he said he would be right there for the sequel plus he would never want to remove Dredd's helmet.

1 year agoby @ev1l-spoonFlag

8. Grimwolf

@corey Agreed

1 year agoby @GrimwolfFlag

9. Corey W.

Both this and John Carter deserve sequels. Sadly, we'll never see them.

1 year agoby @coreyFlag

10. moviemouse

i don't think dredd was underrated its efforts were widely recognized by fans and a lot of critics yet i personally don't know why everyone loved it so much

1 year agoby @moviemouseFlag

11. bruce_ha

I really think Dredd was underrated. It was a really good action movie. Karl Urban should bulk up a few pounds for the sequel to look more menacing.

1 year agoby @bruce-haFlag

12. The_Crow2k

Pete Travis did a good job, he deserves to come back.

1 year agoby @the-crow2kFlag

13. Justhim_sir

Just saw it yesterday (thanks Netflix) and it wasn't bad, the special effects were awesome (made me wish I would have saw it in 3D). I do hope there's a sequel and if not then they should really look into television.

1 year agoby @justhim-sirFlag

14. The Cryptkeeper: Resurrected

Didn't even See Dredd. Kinda want to though. I know it did not even make it's money back in the box office, and I hate to sound negative, but even if the DVD does well, the studio probably wouldn't want to fund another one... So it might have to be independent.

1 year agoby @cryptFlag

15. Fry_3000

Loved dredd. Watched the Stallone one again just recently. This one was just a sigh of relieve on how good it was. Please do a sequel - hopefully judge death, or what I've been reading ,
    'the robot wars'. Fingers crossed

1 year agoby @Fry-3000Flag

16. Julian Roman

Dredd 3D was so underrated. Really hope we get to see urban in this role again.

1 year agoby @julianromanFlag

17. cryhawks

I loved Dredd The Avengers & Dredd where my 2 favorite movies of 2012 & I really hope they make a sequel.

1 year agoby @cryhwksFlag

18. Robert Beadle

bring on the sequal.

1 year agoby @Robert-BeadleFlag

19. Dbzfan91

Just watched the blu ray... second time seeing it and still really enjoyed it for what it was... I really like Olivia Thirlby I hope they bring her back too.

1 year agoby @dbzfan91Flag

Urban was a fantastic Dredd, and thankfully washed out the cheese-fest Stallone performance from my mind. I can only hope I see him dawn the clunky helmet once more, and that Olivia Thirlby will be at his side.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

21. Mieko_Siede

Dredd, for much of it's violence and flare, put me in the mind of Raid Redemption. It was fun. It wasn't constrained with the depth of story and development that one would expect in a Dark Knight or Man of Steel. He's a street judge that upholds the law. It got right to the point as an action film and once it started, it was non-stop. We haven't had that in a while...a mindless action flick that didn't leave much for thought in the end. He was assigned a rookie. He took her into the field. It was an experience she wouldn't soon overcome. It was perfect for what they were intending. As for a sequel, I'd like to see them get into the depth of his character more as it was hinted within the first 15 minutes of the first film when Anderson was interrupted in reading his aura. Let's get into the mystery of Dredd. Let's get into the depths of the cursed earth. Take the judges beyond the wall for a fight of their lives encountering mutants and the harshness of nature. I think it could be all the more interesting.

1 year agoby @mieko-siedeFlag

@dan1 Thought it would be fun to see

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

23. Replicant

Oh man, I really hope it gets a sequel. I loved it in theaters and bought the Blu-ray this week hoping strong sales might help it get made...

Such a shame poor marketing killed this movie :(

1 year agoby @felipe-11Flag

It'll never see a sequel.

1 year agoby @dan1Flag

25. artkid04

Danny Boyle for Director!!!

1 year agoby @artkid04Flag

26. CrankFarney

That'd be cool. There's always room for more Dredd, especially when they actually get it right.

1 year agoby @crankfarneyFlag

27. Zach Chappelear

Dredd was pretty fun. Kinda bummed I missed it in cinemas now. Would pay for a sequel at least once.

1 year agoby @Zach-ChappelearFlag

28. the MovieGhost

I seriously hope this gets an adequate (at least) sequel and please God get someone better for the marketing.

1 year agoby @the-movieghostFlag

29. The Real Goku

The first one was ok, idk if it was the script or the directing but the movie is forgettable. He would bring a lot of action to Star Wars but I'm not too sure

1 year agoby @therealGokuFlag