EXCLUSIVE: 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' Wants Heather Morris as Buffy

The fan favorite actress from 'Glee' is being eyed because of her dancing skills and comedic timing.
Heather Morris to become Buffy?
Heather Morris to become Buffy?
While in Nashville this past week, we had a chance to meet up with an associate of Dolly Parton's Sandollar Production Company, which recently sold the Buffy the Vampire Slayer rights to Warner Bros. for a big screen reboot. The source claims that Glee's Heather Morris has been brought up many times in regards to who will follow in Kristy Swanson and Sarah Michelle Gellar's footsteps. And now we are hearing that the actress is actively being sought to take on this highly coveted role.

While not much is known about this continuation of the franchise, we have learned that the tone will be more in step with the WB series that ran from 1997 to 2003, than it will the original 1992 feature film. The hope is to incorporate a neo-Valley Girl tone that will find this version of the character more in-line with her original Kristy Swanson incarnation, while at the same time presenting a fresh and hip take on the character for today's more sauve audiences.

The source indicates that Heather Morris's comedic timing is a perfect fit for Buffy Summers, and that her background as a dancer and a gymnast will be greatly utilized in the skill set that Buffy is supposed to have as a Slayer. In this new reboot, Buffy will no longer be in high school, but instead facing the same hardships that a lot of young college graduates have today in struggling to find a paying job and a healthy relationship. Though she plays a teenager on Glee, the 23 year-old-actress is actually the right age for this newly rebooted take on the character.

Before appearing on Glee, Morris portrayed a cheerleader in Fired Up and served as a back-up dancer for Beyoncé Knowles from 2007 to 2008 during the singer's Single Ladies tour. Right now, Heather's participation in Buffy the Vampire Slayer should only be considered a rumor.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is in development .

1. Josh

I'm writing an extensive research paper for my Buffy seminar right now. Gotta love getting credit to talk about TV.

4 years agoby @shuabertFlag

2. Messenger

Just as long as they make this one better than the first TV I might watch it.

4 years agoby @messengerFlag

3. UncleShaggy

Being a big Buffy fan I would rather see the Scooby gang return. Heather Morris is really funny on Glee and teamed with Vanessa Hudgens or Megan Fox as Faith would make an interesting movie. However, I would rather see a sequel to the 92 movie with Kristy Swanson if they don't come back. They could also do the future slayer, a Faith or Ripper origin story instead.

4 years agoby @UncleShaggyFlag

4. Xenon

I wouldn't mind seeing Sarah return. An adult Buffy would be so much better than another young Buffy unless it's Buffy's daughter or one of the surviving slayers.
    I haven't seen anything good with Sarah in for a while. I tried watching a recent film with her and it was horrible to watch.

4 years agoby @xenon56Flag

5. Matt114

I'm probably one of the biggest Buffy fans ever and I'm not totally against this new movie. It could actually be interesting to see a different take on the story. It's not like there gonna cancel the comic book series so the original story will still continue. And also I remember reading a while ago that Joss likes Heather Morris in Glee so he may approve of this casting.

4 years agoby @matt114Flag

6. The Real Lex Luthor

Why? Do we really need another Buffy movie or tv series? I mean seriously when is enough simply enough? The movie sucked, and the show was worst.... No need at all for this.

4 years agoby @thajackalFlag

7. Josh

@ejk1: Ah. See, I have not read the comics yet, so I didn't know what changes Whedon has made. I don't want anything spoiled, but it does seem odd that Whedon would end the series with that feminist message and then turn around and reject that in the comics. However, as I don't know the context, it's best to just take your word for it and leave it at that.

This project is universally agreed upon as being balls anyway. If Buffy fans boycott it, it should by all reasoning be a flop.

4 years agoby @shuabertFlag

Josh if you've been reading the comic, you know that some things have happened that may make that impossible. I don't want to say to much so as not to spoil anything for CBF.

4 years agoby @ejk1Flag

9. Josh

@ejk1: No, I understand that, and that's my point. What I'm saying is that BECAUSE the "one Slayer" rule was broken at the end of the show, why don't they create an entirely new character and follow her. I wasn't meaning that they should use one of the "potentials" characters Whedon created in the canon.

4 years agoby @shuabertFlag

10. CBF

@ejk1 Exactly right.

4 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

@Josh, because the canon has continued in comic book form. Whedon won't let any of those Slayers(many of which are dead, btw) take over because he isn't finished what he started with Buffy. And Season 9 is coming as well, so if you're looking for canon, go to your local comic book store.

4 years agoby @ejk1Flag

12. Wichy

I agree with @Josh, I am against this period, but if they have to do it Heather Morris is pretty good in Glee. I'm not an avid watcher but have on occasion to see what they hype was about, but she is good on Glee.

4 years agoby @wichitagalzlFlag

13. Josh

Heather Morris is great in Glee, and I think she would bring something interesting to the role, but like most Buffy fans I'm strongly against this project on principle.
    Why not just run from the canon that Whedon has set up and do a completely new "____ the Vampire Slayer" using any one of countless new Slayers that exist given the events of the last season? The fact that they're stepping all over Whedon's toes just shows what little respect the Kazuis have for him and his vision.

4 years agoby @shuabertFlag

@Todd 89, instead of going for an actress that resembles Gellar, just go for the real deal herself. I know that she said that she never wanted to be Buffy again, but that was years ago, before her career stagnated. She may welcome a chance to step back into this role and the limelight once more.

4 years agoby @ejk1Flag

15. CelluloidDreams

Heather Morris ..........WHO!?!?!?!?

4 years agoby @2movieguysFlag

16. Xenon

Why not an actress in her thirties that closely resembles Sara, and instead of rebooting, continue the adventure. I would prefer that instead of a bloody reboot.

James Bond has been played by different people over the years until the reboot. Lean people, learn

4 years agoby @xenon56Flag

17. Ensigndesign

I am a big Joss Whedon fan so I am not for it at all. Needless reboots are getting out of hand.

4 years agoby @ensigndesignFlag

18. Daveactor7

@Lane agreed.
    @Playhouse it was supposed to be about these kids and their lives and now its all big production design and huge songs with cameos by famous actors.

4 years agoby @daveactor7Flag

19. Little Zena

I love Buffy! Yea :)

4 years agoby @gx44461Flag

20. JaysonB190

Not bad, but all the die-hard fans will piss-and-moan.

4 years agoby @jaysonb190Flag

21. Lane

I think I speak for everyone when I say the only actress they should be putting in the Buffy role is Sarah Michelle Gellar. Considering how much of a cult classic the show has become over the years, it makes sense to keep the lead star without confusing or alienating fans. They wouldn't necessarily need to have the rest of the show's cast in the film either to make it work.

4 years agoby @lane1Flag

22. Elly Boone

No Joss. No Buffy. NO no no no no!! What part of NO don't these people understand?! Will not watch. I'm boycotting the hell outta this!

4 years agoby @elly-booneFlag

23. Hiplop

she would definitely work

4 years agoby @hiplopFlag

24. Playhouse

'Glee' has become quite overrated, yes. The problem is they bought into their own hype and suddenly everyone wanted to be a part of, which destroyed its uniqueness.

With this take on the character of Buffy, Morris works. But there really shouldn't be this take on Buffy. Kuzuis, go find some new material to take advantage of for the next 20 years.

4 years agoby @playhouseFlag

25. Cripple

@Supes, agreed. F*ck this reboot.

4 years agoby @crippleFlag

26. Emmytt

bs

4 years agoby @emmyttFlag

Lemme put this as simply as I can... F*ck this sh*t.

4 years agoby @dan1Flag

28. Daveactor7

Glee is overrated

4 years agoby @daveactor7Flag

(Grumbles Loudly)

4 years agoby @ejk1Flag

30. Diaigma

This really doesn't need to happen, though it sure would beat Twilight :P

4 years agoby @diaigmaFlag