EXCLUSIVE: 3D Sperm Jokes and John Cho in 'American Pie: Reunion'!

Producer Chris Weitz offers his thoughts on what we might see in the fourth installment of this long running franchise.
The American Pie gang to reunite in 3D?
The American Pie gang to reunite in 3D?
While doing the press rounds for The Twilight Saga: New Moon DVD and Blu-ray, which hits stores at midnight on March 20th, director Chris Weitz took a few moments out of his busy schedule to chat with us about American Pie 4, which is also being called American Reunion. Weitz, who has served as a producer and creative voice on the previous three installments told us that he wants to get the entire original cast back together, including John Cho, as well as maybe have the epic "Pie" gag be in 3D. Was he joking about sperm in three dimensions? Maybe not. Here's what Chris had to say:

There's all this talk swirling around about American Reunion. Can you tell us anything about this upcoming fourth installment of the American Pie series? And Who you will be bringing back?

Chris Weitz: I know that Universal wants to do it. We want to be involved in it. Because of the affection we hold for the story and the characters. We want to get as many former cast members back as possible. Its funny, but look at someone like John Cho. He had a very small part in all three films. Now he is a big deal. He's in Star Trek and FlashForward. I'm not sure if we'd be able to get him. Since we first cast him in the original film, I thought he was great. And it would be great if we could get him back, too.

It's been ten years, and a lot has happened in terms of comedy since that first "Pie" gag. Do you guys have a plan for that one great set piece that always ties the films together?

Chris Weitz: 3D! (Laughs) 3D sperm jokes. In some ways, like any reunion, it would be about the nostalgia element. For the time that it came out. For how people felt when they first saw it. And now to experience it again with all the pathos and humor that implies.

You say 3D sperm jokes. You need to have that scene be one where the audience is told to put the glasses on at a certain point in the film, just like the characters. And then do the 3D sperm joke.

Chris Weitz: (Laughs). I know what you are talking about. You hear a tone, and then you put your glasses on. That is a very 1950s kind of concept. We were just talking about that today. Who knows? I am sure that everything will have to be in 3D now that Avatar is successful. Everyone will have to bring their glasses.

American Reunion is aiming for a 2011 release date.

American Reunion was released April 6th, 2012 and stars Jason Biggs, Alyson Hannigan, Chris Klein, Thomas Ian Nicholas, Tara Reid, Seann William Scott, Mena Suvari, Eddie Kaye Thomas. The film is directed by Jon Hurwitz, Hayden Schlossberg.

Sources: Paulington James Christensen III

1. Lycan

Awesome. Just hope they keep the other "Stiflers" away from this. Just forget the the craptastic spin-offs except the one line in naked mile when Eugene Levy says he is a grandfather they could do something with that

4 years agoby @grand-makwaFlag

2. Rudy

3D sex scenes? How low can a ho go? lol.

4 years agoby @rudyFlag

3. Mohnman

It's about time they lay off the spin off's .... This should be awesome. As long as they keep the same writers and style of filming.

4 years agoby @mohnmanFlag

4. CelluloidDreams

I guess in these economic hard times everyone needs to pay rent and will take any job that comes their way! Sad!

3D sperm jokes ...how low can 3D go!???.

4 years agoby @2movieguysFlag

5. TheKAC

I am so happy to hear about this!!! All the spin offs can kiss my ass. American Pie, American Pie 2, and American Pie: Wedding are the only one I count as being American Pie movie. I was really hopping this would happen. Sweet!

4 years agoby @thekacFlag

6. Err

not feeling it.

4 years agoby @err2005Flag

7. Dsb666

wow, pretty sure i already said it should be called American reunion haha, nice to see they actually went with a good title choice

4 years agoby @dsb666Flag

8. IamBATMAN

i was just watching the second one the other day and found myself wondering if they would ever make another "REAL" american pie movie instead of the straight to dvd ones. i like this

4 years agoby @iambatmanFlag

9. Jason27

Awesome!!! Make the whole thing in 3D, would be schweeeeet!

4 years agoby @jason27Flag

10. Vleoz

awesome

4 years agoby @vleozFlag

11. CBF

Yeah I agree with Brian here. I saw Band Camp on TV (heavily edited) and then bought American Pie Presents: The Naked Mile on DVD, and thought it would be a lot better. Didn't see or get the other ones that followed. Hopefully if all the cast returns for American Reunion I'm down, I always hate it when a sequel comes out years later and at least one character does not return or they replace an actor but its the same character. Those are never as good. Sequels are never as good as the first anyway, but I really enjoyed American Pie 2 and American Wedding, and they HAVE to bring STIFLER BACK!! And hopefully it will end the Straight-to-DVD American Pie Presents series, cuz they are crappy one-offs.

4 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

Noice mate, noice.

4 years agoby @narratorFlag

13. Brian

Nice. I'd like to see something legit out of the old crew. Screw these straight to DVD offshoots.

4 years agoby @brianFlag