Evangeline Lilly Talks About Playing Tauriel in 'The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug'

The 'Lost' star discusses playing the 600-year-old elf that wasn't in the J.R.R. Tolkien novel for director Peter Jackson's adaptation.
Evangeline Lilly discusses playing the elf Tauriel in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Actress Evangeline Lilly discussed playing the elf Tauriel in The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, in the latest edition of Total Film magazine. This character does not appear in the J.R.R. Tolkien novel that director Peter Jackson's adaptation is based on, and the actress spoke about how "young" this character really is, as opposed to other elves such as Legolas and Thranduil.

"She's a very, very young elf. She's only 600 years old, unlike Legolas who's like, 1,900 years old and Thranduil who's about 3,000 years old. She doesn't have quite the wisdom and pose that those two boys do; she's a little more... gritty. A little more spontaneous, passionate perhaps."

The actress also spoke about the balance between her character's grace and her ruthless nature.

"To play this character I need to have a certain amount of grace]. But I'm also supposed to be an absolutely ruthless, deadly killer."

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug was released December 13th, 2013 and stars Ian McKellen, Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, Ken Stott, Graham McTavish, William Kircher, James Nesbitt, Stephen Hunter. The film is directed by Peter Jackson.

Sources: Total Film

1. T. King (Red Camera Man)

Can't wait to see her in the next film! :-)

1 year agoby @redcameramanFlag

2. Trangalanga10

@ejk1 I you were an itelligent man, you wouldn't direspect other people's opinions, you wouldn't disrecpect them at all. Intelligent men share their opinions and ideas, and don't use words like douchebag to direspect them, you are a real man? then we will finish this face to face. Like men do. you want to make excuses like not wasting money, I told you my address, I told you to say where to meet, and you still made excuses, and just kept repeating the same thing, you want to be tough? I'll be in the U.S. on Friday July 5, arrival: 10:30 a.m., San Francisco International Airport, you want to make the excuse again of not wanting to waste money, say the place. keep replying with your stupidities, but until you don't give Me a man's response. you will be nothing but a little ignorant kid. MW a website of movie articles and news, where you can share opinions and ideas with others, you didn't want to respect that, no one came forward, with a response, I am, you are tough? accept this. enough of idiocy coming from you, your refusal and excuses will just prove to me and to everyone you are nothing more than just an ignorant kid using non other than just words. San Francisco, CA, you are just scared and running out of words I told my address, I told you where I'm going to Friday July 5, again San Francisco, CA, I told you, to say where to meet, now I say this to you. you want to be tough? accept the fight, no more words need to be said, don't make more excuses, it makes you look pathetic, ignorant and with no integrity in front of everyone, @xenon56 is right I should ignore you as the little ignorant kid you are, but you need to be thought a lesson for life, San Francisco International Airport, Friday July 5, arrival: 10:30 a.m., if you really want to be though, don't you dare tell me, you don't want to waste money, because you live elsewhere, if that's the case say the place, I''ll go to you, I told you this before, but you want everyone to recognize you as a "tough guy", don't write more crap and excuses, again San Francisco International Airport, Friday July 5, arrival: 10:30 a.m., you want to make the excuse of not wanting to waste money because you live elsewhere, say the place, enough said.

1 year agoby @Trangalanga10Flag

3. CoreyB

Look at Kate still lookin sexy even as an elf.

1 year agoby @CoreyBFlag

@Trangalanga10 "I don't even know what are you talking about."

I have a feeling you say that a lot. Oops. I made fun of you. You want to fight about it? You want me to tell you where I'm at so we can have a throw down when you come to the US in July. Of course, you haven't exactly been forthcoming with where in the US you'll be, likely waiting for me to say where I live so you can tell me how lucky I am that you won't be coming to my neck of the woods. So yeah, you keep telling yourself and anyone willing to listen to your garbage that I'm ignorant and that I'm not a man. But you're the one who resorted to acting childish behavior because you couldn't think of anything better to say. You can try all you want, but it's clear that you just can't be better...

@xenon56 I have nothing to drop.

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

5. Trangalanga10

@xenon56 Thanks for the advice, I won't let an ignorant kid, make this, I'm going to leave him alone with his craziness along with his ignorant buddies. Thanks for that.

As for the mother I think I was almost going to spoiled to you, Ted's wife is in Barney's wedding as we know, but they showed her already, she's going to be in the entire final season, I think, it makes sense since in an episode they showed Ted with a baby, in a flashforward scene of course. I don't want the show to end, but is logical, it ends in May 2014 so the producers need to show the wedding and the first baby.

1 year agoby @Trangalanga10Flag

6. Trangalanga10

@the-movieghost I don't even know what are you talking about, show respect, if you don't know, then keep your opinions to yourself.

1 year agoby @Trangalanga10Flag

7. Trangalanga10

@ejk1 You are not a man, you want to talk and talk, but you don't even accept it, thata's your reality.

1 year agoby @Trangalanga10Flag

8. the MovieGhost

There's not even a "fight" @Trangalanga10 you idiot. You jumped on Ejk's comment, where he was expressing HIS OPINION, for no other reason aside from "I don't like it". I could go on, but Ejk's doing a much better job at making you look stupid (moreso than you've already done), aptly so because you "targeted" him for the most bullsh*t reason.

1 year agoby @the-movieghostFlag

@Trangalanga10 You're a clown, and everyone sees it. You have no depth, you can't defend your position, so you want to "throw down." And that makes me laugh. You're trying to force me into giving my address to you as if you're going to show up at my house, as if that will ever happen. Here's what you're really doing: You copied and pasted some stupidity multiple times in the hopes that I would try to respond to each and every one. I'm not as obsessive as you seem to be. You can say whatever you want, make as many personal attacks as you can, get all the little trolls on your side as you can. It doesn't matter, because you and I both know the real deal here. You're a sad little man that probably can't get it up, doesn't have the intelligence to have a good debate, and once the ability to verbally defend your position fails (which is quickly), you turn into a Mike Tyson wannabe. Yeah, that's what is really going on here. All of your rhetoric is nonsense. But keep saying it; it's all you have left on MW, because no one except other simple minded trolls will ever take you seriously on MW again.

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

10. Xenon

@ejk1 you really need to drop it and move on.

@Trangalanga10 there are a lot of mothers on that show. Did you seen the season ending? No more hints on who's the mother of the children. Next season he meets her and I'm hoping it's the end though you never know.
    As of the argument that you're having, just don't respond.

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag

11. undeadslayer4

@Trangalanga10 she looks familiar

1 year agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

12. Trangalanga10

@ejk1 You made excuses and just kept talking and never accepted the fight, you have proven to everyone you are scared, you have proven to be just words and nothing more, you are one of those persons that talk a lot, but when challenged or called to fight, you take 100 steps back and just keep talking to make yourself feel better, but you showed the truth about yourself, you have no balls, no integrity, no honor and no respect, you are nothing. Keep going through that way, and you will be nothing for the rest of your life.

1 year agoby @Trangalanga10Flag

13. Trangalanga10

@xenon56 You are right.
    the girl on barney's wedding, that's the mother.

1 year agoby @Trangalanga10Flag

14. Trangalanga10

@the-movieghost What does that mean?

1 year agoby @Trangalanga10Flag

Yes, that's it. I deserve it for calling @Trangalanga10 out on his garbage, and for calling him what he is: a liar, a hypocrite, a child, etc. He went and said some things, I made him look foolish, and now he's all butt hurt, and trying to save face with physical challenges because he can't maintain an argument. He's been reduced to a pathetic child throwing a tantrum on MW, "daring" me to give him my address. But we know better, don't we Bob? You don't want a real confrontation with anyone. You just like to bluster, and say what you can to make up for your shortcomings. Because as a person with a Master's in Psychology, you know better than to be stupid and pick a fight with an unknown entity, don't you Bob? Or were you lying about having one of those as well? Like I said, you can talk whatever nonsense you want, and you can pull whoever to your side you want. I haven't changed my style on MW since I got here. Some can take it, you obviously don't have the brain power. That's your problem to fix, although judging how quickly you stooped to this sad display of your lack of intelligence, I doubt you'll correct yourself anytime soon. The only advice I'll give you is this: stop telling people how to "be better" if you can't follow through on your own advice.

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

16. Xenon

@Trangalanga10 which mother? because I found Marshals mother is the same actress that was Wolf's lover on ST: TNG and I found she did an excellent job. It's Ted I despise.
    It's sort of funny in a way because I despised Jerry on Stanfield or whatever is his last name. Anyhow I liked everyone else, just not him.
    Mad About You - another great comedy had the perfect cast. Some people may not agree however I enjoyed it.

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag

17. Xenon

@Trangalanga10 he may deserve it but there are quite a lot of people that think that way. Some men are cowards - now with that said don't do something that you may regret later in life. Sure it feels good at the time - I get it, I truly do.
    The only advice I'm giving out is don't lower your self to their standards because that's what those kind of people want.

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag

18. the MovieGhost

Way to go @Trangalanga10, professional keyboard warrior, I think you stupefied him into submission. *Slow clap* Bravo.

1 year agoby @the-movieghostFlag

19. Trangalanga10

@xenon56 Lilly would have been perfectly cast as The Mother, the actress playing the role didn't convinced me.

1 year agoby @Trangalanga10Flag

20. Trangalanga10

@ObiWanShinobi Not trying, he looked for it.

1 year agoby @Trangalanga10Flag

21. Trangalanga10

@xenon56 He deserves it beleive me, he doesn't want to understand other people's opinions and direspect them in the process, he needs to be thought a lesson, of course this is not always the best way to resolve things, but in this case is the only solution, if he is really a man, he will accept.

1 year agoby @Trangalanga10Flag

22. Xenon

@Trangalanga10 go to the gym to cool off or run for a few miles if your into that sort of thing.

I haven't seen Lilly in quite some time except for that episode on How I Met Your Mother. Just never pictured her as an elf, she would have been my pick for Catwoman.

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag

23. ObiWanShinobi

@ejk1 LOL oh sh*t bro he's trying to fight.

1 year agoby @ObiWanShinobiFlag

24. Trangalanga10

@ejk1 You are scared, if you are a man I dare you to com here, I dare you to give me your adress, this is not a game, this is real, sure, you don't give your real name or where you live, because you are affraid, I dare you, Come on be a man, stop writing on a website, and let' finish this like man, if you don't accept, you will prove to everyone, you are a p*ssy little kid, there's no time to laugh, If you are a man, you, you will accept, I'm not kidding. I gave you my exact address, my name, where are yours? if your not coming here? prove to me you are a man, and let's fight face to face, I'm going to the U.S on July, like I said before, what do you have to lose, you are nothing, let's fight like men. I say it again, if you are not coming to me, i'll go to you, say the place and time, i'll be there, prove to me and to everyone, you are more than just a profile, if you refuse again, you will saying to yourself and to everyone, you are just a p*ssy little kid, that doesn't have dignity, no honor, no balls, again my name is Orlando, this is my address Urb. Alturas de Villa Fontana, Carr 26 # D-4 in Carolina, PR. , you are not coming, because, you don't want to waste money?? no, you are not coming because you are scared, i'll go to you tell me where and when, place and time, anywhere you want, if you don't accept, don't even bother giving more excuses, because you are just scared, if you are a man that has dignity, honor and is not scared to fight, you will accept, if you keep writing more excuses, you are nothing, than just a scared little p*ssy, accept this, again, say the place and time, anywhere you want, you refuse, you are nothing than just words.

1 year agoby @Trangalanga10Flag

@ejk1 Least she was good to look at in Real Steel

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

I was expecting more from her after LOST. Hopefully, this will springboard her to bigger things.

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag