'Ender's Game' Lands at Summit Entertainment

Gavin Hood is directing this adaptation of Orson Scott Card's novel which centers on a group of kids with superpowers who are assembled by the government.
Ender's Game lands at Summit Entertainment
Ender's Game lands at Summit Entertainment
Summit Entertainment is in negotiations to distribute Ender's Game from writer-director Gavin Hood.

Ender's Game started out as a 1978 short story by Orson Scott Card, which was expanded into a full novel in 1985. The story takes place after an alien invasion, with the government recruiting children with special abilities to take on the alien onslaught. The children compete in a game which is described as a cross between Harry Potter's quiddich and Star Wars' light saber battles.

Gavin Hood will direct from his own script which is adapted from the Orson Scott Card novel. Gavin Hood won a Best Foreign Language Film Oscar with Tsotsi in 2005, and made his studio directorial debut with X-Men Origins: Wolverine in 2009.

We reported in February that Gavin Hood was shopping this sci-fi project to the studios, and it seems Ender's Game finally has a home at Summit Entertainment.

Ender's Game was released November 1st, 2013 and stars Asa Butterfield, Harrison Ford, Hailee Steinfeld, Abigail Breslin, Ben Kingsley, Viola Davis, Aramis Knight, Suraj Partha. The film is directed by Gavin Hood.

Sources: Deadline

1. MovieManiac

I had the first long time ago but i lost it before i could read it. It looks like i will have to pick up another copy before this film hits theaters.

3 years agoby @moviemaniac66Flag

2. CUPID

@skywise Am sure as well, but thats how it go's.

3 years agoby @cupidFlag

@cupid It is my least fav in the series but it has a cool little twist at the end that i am sure will be ruined for you long before the movie comes out.

3 years agoby @skywiseFlag

4. CUPID

I've got no idea what this is about and it doesn't sound all that interested but i'll wait for more on this.

3 years agoby @cupidFlag

5. Major Tom

Didn't we hear months ago that the Halo movie just went through a similar situation with Dreamworks? I'll be handing out complementary grains of salt at the door.

3 years agoby @movie-nutFlag

@kaneford just curious, what was your fav book in the series? Mine was Xenocide becuase i just adore Jane. I know that one is a bit heavy on the philosophical side of Card but that is sort of what i love about those books.

3 years agoby @skywiseFlag

7. Kane

Hahah nope, but we did talk about it lol. We hate "Wiggin" though and think it should have been left as "Wiggins" before OSC changed it :(

3 years agoby @kanefordFlag

@kaneford that would be hardcore.

3 years agoby @skywiseFlag

@kaneford did you give his middle name as Wiggin?

3 years agoby @skywiseFlag

10. Kane

dammit! we just named our baby Ender two months ago. now everyone is going to be using the name probably. ugh.

3 years agoby @kanefordFlag

11. J.P.

@diaigma I know right? I was beginning to think that I'd have nothing tp be excited for in 2013 but now this.

3 years agoby @jptheredskullFlag

Love the Ender Series, i just hope they dont end it here and allow Ender to grow up and become the man he does in the series. The first 3 books at least would be great but then if you have Xenocide you have to have Children of the Mind.

3 years agoby @skywiseFlag

13. Diaigma

@dan1 - understandable, but I was made aware of Gavin writing the script from the novel's author himself, who is working very closely with Gavin--kinda rare in Hollywood these days. If you haven't read the book, it's one of the few "must reads," in my opinion. Marvel just did a graphic novel adaption, since I know that's more your thing. Great way to pass the time on those shifts of yours ;)

@jptheredskull - this is great. My most anticipated lineup is fixed for the next three years. Tintin -2011, Hobbit -2012, Ender - 2013. Love it!

3 years agoby @diaigmaFlag

14. Nautical

SWWEEETTTT GREAT BOOK. CANT WAIT FOR THE MOVIE

3 years agoby @nautical05Flag

15. J.P.

@diaigma I'm with you. Been waiting a long time for this. Kinda thought it would never happen.

3 years agoby @jptheredskullFlag

16. mad82

Great book...they better not mess it up!

3 years agoby @mad82Flag

17. Faiella

I've read all six books in the Ender series, but then I read a lot, both modern and classic literature. Very good science fiction; I did not know a film was in the works.

3 years agoby @FaiellaFlag

18. SpaceCowboy

FInally! Wish this was a movie a few years back so I wouldn't have had to read the book for school. I mean, what is Ender's Game about again? A 6-year old kid who's incredibly smart and kills people? Sorry if I'm completely off base here, just voicing my opinon that I did not like the book (even if I'm remembering it wrong).

3 years agoby @SpaceCowboyFlag

19. Josh

I haven't read Ender's Game yet, but I know it's quite beloved among sci-fi fans.

3 years agoby @shuabertFlag

@shuabert Maybe so. As I said, more info and a trailer may change my mind. I'm not an unreasonable fellow. Well, I can be, but whatever :P

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

21. Josh

@dan1 Don't judge Hood just on Wolverine. I think there were several cooks spoiling that soup. Tsotsi was almost universally-praised.

3 years agoby @shuabertFlag

Gavin Hood? Pass. Sorry, @diaigma. Maybe a trailer down the road will change my mind.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

23. darksektor1971

At first, i tought that it was addressing "ZONE OF THE ENDERS" game, but now that Diaigma has ranked the novel so good, i will search for it.

3 years agoby @darksektor1971Flag

24. Diaigma

@bawnian-dexeus - arguably one of the best science fiction novels ever written. Genius. It touched on social networking well before we had the Internet. You should do yourself a favor and read up on it, or wiki it.

3 years agoby @diaigmaFlag