'Elysium' Trailer Starring Matt Damon!

Matt Damon stars as an ill man desperately trying to get aboard the elite space station Elysium in director Neill Blomkamp's sci-fi thriller.
As promised yesterday, the first trailer for Elysium has debuted, giving sci-fi fans a closer look at director Neill Blomkamp's follow-up to District 9. Set in the year 2154, Earth has become a vastly overcrowded planet where a majority of humanity lives. Those who can afford the multi-billion-dollar price tag live on the elite space colony Elysium. The story follows Max (Matt Damon), a blue-collar worker who falls ill and goes on a desperate mission to board Elysium by any means necessary. Jodie Foster and Sharlto Copley also star.

Click Here! for our coverage of yesterday's Q&A event with the cast and crew of Elysium.

In the year 2154, two classes of people exist: the very wealthy, who live on a pristine man-made space station called Elysium, and the rest, who live on an overpopulated, ruined planet. The people of Earth are desperate to escape the crime and poverty that is now rampant throughout the land. The only man with the chance to bring equality to these worlds is Max (Matt Damon), an ordinary guy in desperate need to get to Elysium. With his life hanging in the balance, he reluctantly takes on a dangerous mission - one that pits him against Elysium's Secretary Delacourt (Jodie Foster) and her hard-line forces - but if he succeeds, he could save not only his own life, but millions of people on Earth as well.

Elysium was released August 9th, 2013 and stars Matt Damon, Jodie Foster, Sharlto Copley, Alice Braga, Diego Luna, Wagner Moura, William Fichtner, Brandon Auret. The film is directed by Neill Blomkamp.

Sources: Yahoo! Movies

1. Mieko_Siede

This will be my second most anticipated film for 2013!

1 year agoby @mieko-siedeFlag

2. ollie-styrene

F**K yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 year agoby @ollie-styreneFlag

@narrator No worries. I took the complement, just kept.on rambling

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

A sequel to D9 would be good

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

@undeadslayer4 To back up @felipe-11, if you're referring to the article, it says "Blomkamp's follow up to District 9." That means the film is the next film Blomkamp is directing. If it had said "District 9's follow up," then perhaps it could be taken as a sequel to District 9. However, that is not what occurred here. The article is clearly referencing the director, not the previous film when they talk of "follow up."

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

6. Replicant

@undeadslayer4 It says "follow-up", which means a director's new movie after their last one. Like Django Unchained is Tarantino's follow-up to Inglorious Basterds (even though they're unrelated).

Nobody ever said "sequel", and if they did, they were wrong. That doesn't mean a sequel to D9 won't happen, Blomkamp said he'd love to do one.

1 year agoby @felipe-11Flag

7. undeadslayer4

@felipe-11 then why it said it was a sequel to district 9

@ejk1 then why it said it was the sequel to district 9

1 year agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

8. Replicant

@Rexorthedestroyer@undeadslayer4 It's not the film's fault that you guys were misinformed. Nobody EVER said this was a sequel, or even related to D9.

1 year agoby @felipe-11Flag

@narrator The trailer was okay. I don't remember seeing a trailer for D9, only a commercial that showed the interrogation of the Prawn, which was a very misleading scene pertaining to the true story of the film. So judging from that, it may be that this trailer is not giving anything of substance away, and throwing out red herring plots while not focusing on the main one. That being said, this film may have the same director and actor (Copley), but it shouldn't necessarily be compared to D9. It's of a different vein. When talking Nolan, I don't compare TDK to Inception because they are totally different films, and I suggest following the same path here.

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

@thedude-abides Lol. Much appreciated, friend.

@bawnian-dexeus, I meant that as a completely legitimate compliment. You started off writing decent reviews (whereas I started off writing crap), and you're now a fantastic and incredibly speedy reviewer that is in my opinion leagues beyond me. Be proud of yourself, man. We'll only improve from here on out... what were we talking about again? Lol.

@ejk1 First off, congratulations! Second off, I didn't make a single crack about you all day. Lol. So like @dan1 said, don't lump me in with these other joe-shmoes. Also, what were your thoughts on the trailer?

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

11. undeadslayer4

This better be good

1 year agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

12. undeadslayer4

@Rexorthedestroyer this is a sequel to district 9 but it makes no sense

1 year agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

13. K-Man

Amazing trailer! Cant wait for this!

I bet the studios are kicking themselves for canceling Halo, now....especially after this awesomeness.

1 year agoby @k-manFlag

14. Rexorthedestroyer

Thought this was going to be a continuation of District 9, Wikus travels to alien planet or aliens come to rescue the alien refugees war breaks out between man and aliens, man being the bad guys - something awesome etc, the district 9 story was not complete. Waited all this time for - wait for it - Matt Damon saves the world- the end - yay.

1 year agoby @RexorthedestroyerFlag

15. Xenon

So looking forward to this film, District 9 was awesome.

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag

16. Nicholaus XX

@ejk1 -- Congratulations, man.

1 year agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

17. Space101

Got mixed feelings about this for some reason...Gonna give it time to sink in...

1 year agoby @space101Flag

18. The_Crow2k

Looks awesome...but very similar to District 9.

1 year agoby @the-crow2kFlag

19. thedude-abides

@narrator Lol. Well, in the future, whenever I reference the film, I'll be sure and refer to you as its O.G. supporter from now on :)

1 year agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

20. CoreyB

Wow that trailer is really interesting. This could end up being the late summer hit, much like District 9! The special effects look beautiful and the performances are probably going to be top notch. Another best pic contender? District 9 was and this looks to be just as heavy of material as that. It didnt show us alot either. I'm pumped.

1 year agoby @CoreyBFlag

@ejk1 Gratz on that front, then.

1 year agoby @dan1Flag

@dan1 I know, but I figured I may as well let you know about my triumphs here. I really can't go on FB and talk about it, because talking about grades in front of classmates is somewhat taboo.

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

@ejk1 Hey I didn't say anything about you on this thread, don't lump me in with these knuckleheads.

1 year agoby @dan1Flag

@bawnian-dexeus Thank you sir.

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

@ejk1 Congrats, my man! This child shall have a Dos XX in your name :D

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

@thedude-abides@mr-k@bawnian-dexeus@narrator@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx@dan1 Everybody's a comedian tonight, huh? Well, that's fine. I received an "Outstanding" on my final legal writing brief, and killed the oral arguments (in commenting, the cute student instructor had a Freudian slip and called me "presidential"). Point being, make your jokes, children; the man is riding to high in the clouds to hear you tonight :P

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

@bawnian-dexeus Yep, I know.

1 year agoby @dan1Flag

@dan1 BTW, love the pic. They announced the prequel game today

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

29. Stefanos

@sobolan Indeed you saw.!

1 year agoby @stefanosFlag