Elmo's Kevin Clash Resigns After Second Accuser Comes Forward in 'Sesame Street' Sex Scandal

After 28 years on PBS' popular educational series, the performer is stepping away to keep Sesame Workshop's mission on track.
Elmo's Kevin Clash Resigns from Sesame Street
Elmo's Kevin Clash Resigns from Sesame Street
Sesame Workshop, the company behind PBS' long running educational series Sesame Street, confirmed today that 52 year-old Kevin Clash has resigned from his 28-year stint as popular Muppet Elmo. He began working for Sesame Workshop as a Muppeteer in 1982.

The news came just as a lawsuit was being filed in New York federal court this morning, accusing Kevin Clash of having sexual relations with Cecil Singleton, then fifteen and now an adult, who claims that he was persuaded by Clash to meet for private sexual encounters.

Here is the official statement from Sesame Workshop.

"Sesame Workshop's mission is to harness the educational power of media to help all children the world over reach their highest potential. Kevin Clash has helped us achieve that mission for 28 years, and none of us, especially Kevin, want anything to divert our attention from our focus on serving as a leading educational organization. Unfortunately, the controversy surrounding Kevin's personal life has become a distraction that none of us wants, and he has concluded that he can no longer be effective in his job and has resigned from Sesame Street. This is a sad day for Sesame Street."

Cecil Singleton is the second person to come forward with allegations of sexual misconduct against Kevin Clash. Earlier this month, an unidentified man claimed that Clash began having a sexual relationship with him when he was 16. Kevin Clash took a leave of absence when that news broke, with the man later recanting his initial story, saying that his relationship actually took place with Clash when he was an adult, and that it was consensual.

It is not yet known if Elmo will be retired from Sesame Street as well, as Kevin Clash is the only Muppeteer to have ever operated the very popular Muppet.

1. Geekster

@Zak-Lee-Ferguson wanna go cinema at weekend?

1 year agoby @The-Mudder-F-cking-Loud-KillerFlag

2. Geekster

@Zak-Lee-Ferguson Hahaha i don't think soi? @XxNickTheFilmCriticXx what are you tawkin' bout'! Don't talk to me! Hey

1 year agoby @The-Mudder-F-cking-Loud-KillerFlag

3. Nicholaus XX

@Zak-Lee-Ferguson -- What on earth are you talking about?

1 year agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

4. Zak Lee Ferguson

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx that must be pure coincidental, as i have only one account! You must be autistic the way you obsess my friend, tone it down.

1 year agoby @Zak-Lee-FergusonFlag

5. Nicholaus XX

@Zak-Lee-Ferguson -- I clearly left the matter, as is. And I wasn't arguing.

1 year agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

Dafuq just happend?

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

7. Nicholaus XX

@The-Mudder-F-cking-Loud-Killer -- Okay, then? Ranting child. That was quite amusing, though. I'll give you that. I don't even acknowledge my dictionary, and I don't think I own a 'grammar book'. You're clearly ignorant, so I can see why you'd garner such a notion.

"alienating secluded loathsome juvenile idiot f*ck off and get a life other than talking ballsh*t!". A lesson that you should follow. You misspelled 'arrogant', even though it's written down, in perfect form, right in front of you.

Wow. Molesting senses? Yeah, I'm done. Flame on, kid. Go easy on the language this time, though. It makes you seem, well, ignorant.

@bawnian-dexeus -- Take a look at this, man.

1 year agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

8. Nicholaus XX

@corey -- But, why Kevin Clash, of all people?

@The-Mudder-F-cking-Loud-Killer -- Oh, shut up. You don't know what you're talking about, so I suggest you quit it while you still have the chance. You still look like a dumbass, but still. Talk about blowing a context out of proportions.

A) You don't know me.
    B) I'm under the age of 18, so child molesting is almost completely out of my range.
    C) There's been NO rumors of heinous crimes regarding me.

But, I'd expect nothing less from someone by the name of "ScatteredBonesAndZombieBrains".

Someone has been watching one too many zombie movies. Settle down, boy.

1 year agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

9. Corey W.

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx Until it's proven I don't see anything as a "fact", Nick. One of the "kids" who filed against him came out said that he was of-age during their sexual relationship, so that there knocks out 1 of the 2 cases. As for this new and second accuser, I won't dig too deeply into anything till it's proven.

1 year agoby @coreyFlag

10. Nicholaus XX

@The-Mudder-F-cking-Loud-Killer -- Speaking of Grammar.

Lol.

@corey -- It was kind of funny, and utterly true. The latter being a fact that you can't deny.

1 year agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

11. Geekster

@monkeyiron2-0 get off this site you complete and utter moron. One- your comments are neither funny nor looked upon in nay fashion 2 your grammar and structure and spelling is terrible!

1 year agoby @The-Mudder-F-cking-Loud-KillerFlag

12. Corey W.

@monkeyiron2-0 Mature comment, douche.

1 year agoby @coreyFlag

13. Corey W.

Finding someone else to operate Elmo might be difficult. Won't be the same. But then again, ending Elmo is ending an era. I'm intrigued to see how this plays out.

1 year agoby @coreyFlag

Ugh..

1 year agoby @dan1Flag

Generally speaking, it's never a good thing when puppeteer is in the news. Unless you're Jeff Dunham, or the like, you're supposed to be anonymous. Whether Clash did this or not, his days were numbered as soon as this bad publicity surfaced. This second accusation just expedited the move.

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

16. artkid04

sucks cause maybe its not true and people want to just get their name in the news, I guess they'll just have to find someone else to operate elmo

1 year agoby @artkid04Flag

I am sure they gave him the "option" to resign. It was more likely madatory.

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag

18. Monkeyiron 2.0

Sucks maybe he'll learn not to touch kids

1 year agoby @monkeyiron2-0Flag

19. ROFLitschristian

All of this is dumb. :|

1 year agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

20. Nicholaus XX

I was never a fan of Elmo, and this seems to be a fitting decision, given the inappropriate messages this is sending to today's youth.

@bawnian-dexeus -- Same here. And it's really tough to differentiate if the sources carry any real weight, or not.

1 year agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

I'm sick and tired of hearing about these so called personal encounters that all of a sudden decide to become public knowledge

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag