Edward Norton Will Not Return as the Hulk for 'The Avengers'

A new story reveals that Marvel Studios will cast an unknown actor for the role.
Edward Norton will not play Hulk in The Avengers
Edward Norton will not play Hulk in The Avengers
Back in April, we were able to speak exclusively with Marvel Studios' President of Production Kevin Feige, who said that the Hulk character would definitely play a part in the film, although it seems an unknown actor will be playing him. Hitfix is reporting that The Incredible Hulk star Edward Norton will not be appearing in The Avengers as The Hulk, with Marvel Studios planning on hiring an unknown actor for the role.

It seems, though, that Norton was keen on reprising his 2008 role for the superhero ensemble film, to the point where he was actually keeping dates open on his schedule so he could be a part of the film. According to the site's sources, the studio informed Norton of their plans and that they won't be needing him for the film.

The site also said that their decision wasn't based on money, as their sources indicated that it seemed a deal could've been made with the figures that were on the table. It wasn't clear if the studio has reached out to other actors for the role as of yet, but it seems that everything is in preliminary stages as of now.

We'll be sure to keep you posted on any further news regarding The Avengers as soon as more information comes forth.

Marvel's The Avengers was released May 4th, 2012 and stars Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner, Tom Hiddleston, Clark Gregg. The film is directed by Joss Whedon.

Sources: Hitfix

1. DoctorStrange

Loganforand I so agree with you! I will be outright boycotting the film if they don't bring him straight back. I already sent an e-mail.
    People don't forget to sign this petition: www.petitionspot.com/petitions/BringBackEdNorton and various others. The petition already have over 9000 signatures combined with other petitions giving well over 10000 signatures!

4 years agoby @doctorstrangeFlag

2. G Irish

I've sent a long email off to Marvel, people start sending emails, let them know we have a voice.. I told them out straight I for one am not going to the cinema to see it, if they get rid of Norton, you all must too, they will listen when it will hurt their bank accounts.

4 years agoby @girishmanFlag

3. Rudy

We got more than 8000 signtatures for the petition, is Marvel just gonna ignore that? F*ck them then.

4 years agoby @rudyFlag

4. I AM FRATSON

after the phoenix article popped up im finding it very very hard to believe any of this at all now...

4 years agoby @iamfratsonFlag

5. Diaigma

Norton's agent totally ripped Marvel about all of this :P

4 years agoby @diaigmaFlag

6. Misterwonderful77

Bad move Marvel.

4 years agoby @misterwonderful77Flag

7. Zyclops

forget it just dont make the avenger then.

4 years agoby @zyclopsFlag

8. Fry_3000

petition signed @ IAMFRATSON

4 years agoby @Fry-3000Flag

9. Chris

So who are the 2 individuals that gave this article the two thumps up

4 years agoby @unknown21Flag

10. TheMime

Hope they find someone better because I find Edward perfect for the roll of Bruce Banner

4 years agoby @themimeFlag

11. Emmytt

@iamfratson i think i signed early

4 years agoby @emmyttFlag

12. Bane5000

@I AM FRATSON No problem buddy, if only we could start like a march or something at comic-con, specially at the Marvel events and have people rooting for norton and have them see the error of their ways

4 years agoby @bane5000Flag

13. I AM FRATSON

and bane, i gave you a personal shout out on the petition for posting that, thanks for bringing that to all of our attention bud.

4 years agoby @iamfratsonFlag

14. I AM FRATSON

with that, it needs to be posted again....

everyone, sign it, as your user name, real name, fake name, idc. just sign it. this officially has me pissed off after bane posted nortons camps response!!!

4 years agoby @iamfratsonFlag

15. I AM FRATSON

@bane...thanks for that post man. i hadnt seen that yet....but WOW. as everyone else has said, f*ck you kevin. you c*ck sucking bitch.
    @tomp - nicely put with the comparison to bale on t4. i personally loved t4.
    an actors passion into a film is what fuels it imo. norton has done nothing but put his heart into the hulk bc he loved the character and this is how you treat him? f*ck that

4 years agoby @iamfratsonFlag

16. Tomp1210

unbelievable is the word. No-one cares if he was insistant on the set, all that means is that he is enthusiastic about the project, which is obvious by the amount of things he has done in preparation - meetings with joss, keeping his schedule clear etc. As far as difficult actors go, he doesnt seem to be in the Megan Fox (allegedly) league. If anything I would say he's like Christian Bale on Terminator 4, a bit too 'passionate', but makes a damn good movie. All anyone wants is for the movie to be what it should be, and Ed isnt an obstacle.

4 years agoby @tomp1210Flag

17. Emmytt

and oh yea f*ck u Kevin Feige

4 years agoby @emmyttFlag

18. Emmytt

@tomp1210 yea same here

4 years agoby @emmyttFlag

F*ck you, Kevin Feige.

4 years agoby @dan1Flag

20. Bane5000

Hey everyone check this out, it came from an article on comicbookmovie.com, its from Edward Nortons agent responding back to Kevin Feiges statement about replacing Norton and how it came out of nowhere when it seemed he would be apart of The Avengers...check it out..

"(Feige's) offensive statement ... is a purposefully misleading, inappropriate attempt to paint our client in a negative light. Here are the facts: two months ago, Kevin called me and said he wanted Edward to reprise the role of Bruce Banner in The Avengers. He told me it would be his fantasy to bring Edward on stage with the rest of the cast at ComiCon and make it the event of the convention. When I said that Edward was definitely open to this idea, Kevin was very excited and we agreed that Edward should meet with Joss Whedon to discuss the project. Edward and Joss had a very good meeting at which Edward said he was enthusiastic at the prospect of being a part of the ensemble cast."

"Marvel subsequently made him a financial offer to be in the film and both sides started negotiating in good faith. This past Wednesday, after several weeks of civil, uncontentious discussions, but before we had come to terms on a deal, a representative from Marvel called to say they had decided to go in another direction with the part. This seemed to us to be a financial decision but, whatever the case, it is completely their prerogative ... this is no excuse for Feige's mean spirited, accusatory comments. Counter to what Kevin implies here, Edward was looking forward to the opportunity to work with Joss and the other actors in the Avengers cast, many of whom are personal friends of his."

4 years agoby @bane5000Flag

21. Avian

Lets just get Eric Bana back as the Hulk. That movie was amazing!

It ain't funny because the movie was painful...

4 years agoby @avian005Flag

22. I AM FRATSON

it looks like you did @bane. count is up to 53 right now.

4 years agoby @iamfratsonFlag

23. Bane5000

@I AM FRATSON Ok I signed the petition my friend...atleast i hope i did cuz it says i have but it doesnt show on the list of posts

either way marvel better get our point or else theyre going to alienate alot of us fanboys...Marvel might think it doesnt matter much to the films to just replace a character...but trust us marvel it matters to the us true fans who made u the succes u are so far..u sure u want to mess with that...?

4 years agoby @bane5000Flag

24. G Irish

This is unreal, he was great in the last one, no reason why he should be recasted.. I've signed the petition..

4 years agoby @girishmanFlag

25. gambit_36

am fratson - signed your petition ,but still have my fingers crossed that norton is still on board for the avengers hopefully marvel is just messing around with the fans to just surprise every one later on

4 years agoby @gambit-36Flag

26. I AM FRATSON

nice guys.

agreed, i liked cheadle better then howard. personal opinion though. howard is a great actor but just seems to soft to be rhodey.

@gambit - i have that same feeling. i dont think this is true but if it is, that is why the petition is up and running.

4 years agoby @iamfratsonFlag

27. Tomp1210

@I AM FRATSON - SIGNED!

4 years agoby @tomp1210Flag

Yeah, I didn't mind the switch up with Rhodey, either. IM 2 was still solid to me.

4 years agoby @dan1Flag

29. Tomp1210

by the way @Dfella504 I thought Don Cheadle was better in Iron Man 2 than the other guy.

4 years agoby @tomp1210Flag

30. Tomp1210

god I hope so... Its not like the movie will be boycotted, because it will rule one way or the other, but it will be like The Dark Knight, were the ONLY flaw in the movie is the change in actor, they cant just build up Ed as the Hulk, and replace him in what could be called one of the most awesome superhero movies ever.

4 years agoby @tomp1210Flag