Edgar Wright Talks 'Ant-Man'

The high-concept genre film also has a touch of comedy.
Writer/director Edgar Wright updates us on Marvel's Ant-Man
Writer/director Edgar Wright updates us on Marvel's Ant-Man
Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World director Edgar Wright talked with Box Office Magazine about his upcoming Ant-Man project:

I haven't actually started the second draft yet--I'm not going to be able to until this film [Scott Pilgrim] is out--but what we wrote for the first draft, and what Marvel really liked, is that it's funny, but it's a genre film. It's about the level of comedy that Iron Man has. The idea is to make a high-concept genre film where it's within another genre. His suit and its power is the big gadget and it takes place in the real world. I just wanted to do something that was slightly different than the superhero origin film. I felt that between that and the various mad scientist, crazy doctor films that we've all seen, this would be a way into an origin that was slightly different. I'm not really a multi-tasker--I haven't done anything since Marvel liked our first draft.

Biochemist Dr. Hank Pym uses his latest discovery, a group of subatomic particles, to create a size-altering formula. Though his first self-test goes awry, he develops an instrument that helps him communicate with and control insects.

Ant-Man comes to theaters July 17th, 2015 and stars Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, Michael Pena, Evangeline Lilly, Patrick Wilson, Corey Stoll, David Dastmalchian. The film is directed by Peyton Reed.

1. T. King (Red Camera Man)

"Eggbert" = Edgar Wright. The world's worst director. I f*ckin' hate him.

3 years agoby @redcameramanFlag

2. T. King (Red Camera Man)

Go f*ck yourself, "Eggbert."

3 years agoby @redcameramanFlag

3. RojoDiablo

If it can use humor like Iron Man does, it should be good. I agree with the Fallen, this could be fun, especially if he can go Goliath as well as shrink.

4 years agoby @rojodiabloFlag

4. Emmytt

sweet

4 years agoby @emmyttFlag

5. The_Villain

F-ck Ant-Man! His ability to change size is lame. To want to be the size of an ant was something I wished for when I was in my prepube years to get into the girls locker room. Wow, talking to ants? WTF? What would be the point of that? That would come in handy at picnics to keep them off your plate if you didn't have bug spray or feet to step on them with. If I was being attacked by someone or something, I sure as hell wouldn't want to shrink to a smaller size. Ofcourse he was a founder of The Avengers, he needed a group of friends with real powers to help him fight his battles....like most punks do. Hahaha! Again, F-ck Ant-Man!

4 years agoby @the-villainFlag

Guys don't forget that in his latter days as Antman, Hank turns into "Goliath" when he makes the reconstructs the pym particles to make him into a giant. He's basically a size shifting genius per-say, that created an incredible useful device, worth millions. So if they focused on both powers and science/ business equally it would make the film a lot more respectable to the common goer.

Also, remember he eventually becomes known by his real name; Hank Pym. this could play into an Avengers movie, him being known to the public and all because of his research. It also hints to an unlikely but thrilling thought of a Civil War tease. Trust me, this could work. But don't make it a comedy comedy. If they go with Hank, let it be mature, with slight good comic relief at key points. Thats how it will sell.

4 years agoby @narratorFlag

7. T.Clark

Ooohh...an old guy who lives around your house made an Aquaman movie and it sucked...that explains everything...

4 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

8. Mike Jenkins

Stop focusing on the character. Edgar(Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead) Wright is directing. How could it not be good.

4 years agoby @mike-jenkinsFlag

9. I AM FRATSON

unless you know the superhero you arent gonna be all for this. wait til you see the plot details, casting, and trailer. i think this can be good, i usually have faith in most super hero movies. marvel inparticular.

4 years agoby @iamfratsonFlag

10. Erick10

NO.....i just do not see this as realistic....him shrinking...i mean what is he going to fight fleas? a superhero that can be squashed by some guys foot...wow what a power.

4 years agoby @erick10Flag

11. Err

really?
    ant-man?
    whatever.

4 years agoby @err2005Flag

12. Xenon

I see it as a 90 minute film since comedy is in it.

#
    bhaarath, get your facts straight GL is a DC character not Marvel.

4 years agoby @xenon56Flag

13. Monkeyiron

O and a old guy who lives around my house they did make an aqua man movie and it sucked

4 years agoby @monkeyironFlag

14. Monkeyiron

No see I was mad last night and I was just felt like being a dick.Plus @c-a-r-t-m-a-n twisted my words.I never said Green Lantern is a Marvel hero,everybody knows that He's part of DC universe.And I never read the avengers comics,none comic books shops in Florida have just goddamn ''JLA''

4 years agoby @monkeyironFlag

15. Gandoff

This movie could work, but only on the scale of a pre hero type of movie. Antman alone is a joke of a hero. But his powers are kool alone. This could have the same dynamic style of say Honey I shrunk the Kids movie line. I done realy see hims as a main character in the avengers movie, even though he did play a majjor role in the comics and the toon movies. But a single movie would work. More then one would be a hard sale for the public out side of the cration of shrinking and the helment to control bugs.

4 years agoby @gandoffFlag

16. ZanyZap

So, let me get this straight, his ability to shrink into a Rice Krispie and chat with ants via a hockey helmet are his tools for fighting crime. What's the villain? A f*cking magnifying glass. ;P

4 years agoby @zanyzapFlag

17. T.Clark

He doesn't morph into a bug...he can become as small as one. Also, his helmet allows him to "communicate" with ants...still pretty laughable, but less so than morphing into a bug lol

I wonder if they'll use Hank Pym or Scott Lang...Pym is a more dynamic character, but if this is a comedy of sorts, I can't see Pym really working out.

4 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

18. Marcusx

@Jokers_Wild_X Its "Simon" Pegg...twit

4 years agoby @marcusxFlag

19. Dr.Carter

Almost every story that comes out of the DC Universe lately is surronded around Green Lantern. Ex: Blackest Night, Brightest Day, Simestro Corps. Green Lantern is a popular character and is a pioneer of the Justice Leauge. And where the he'll did you see an Aquaman movie, Entourage.

4 years agoby @dr-carterFlag

20. ZanyZap

The idea of a superhero who morphs into a bug, or whatever, to us lesser comic-book readers is plain laughable, but in the hands of Edgar Wright - a certified comic genius, despite being British (only joking) - I believe we could have another fun, exciting, and potentially humorous adaptation.

When I was younger I procured a Green Lantern ring from a cereal box. Hey, @Monkeyiron, if you're on a cereal box, you're kinda f*cking famous... ;P

4 years agoby @zanyzapFlag

21. T.Clark

I don't recall an Aquaman movie lol

Ya know, for someone who loves the Avengers so much, one would think you'd look forward to an Ant-Man movie...unless of course, you're full of crap.

Also, if you think Green Lantern is DC's least popular super hero, you need to do your research.

4 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

22. Dedpool

@ MonkeyIron- Ah but he is actually a popular character. He's a lesser known one but still popular among long time fans of the Avengers (since he was a founding member). Also there's talk of him showing up int Avengers first and then him and his successor (Stephen Lang) getting a spin-off.

4 years agoby @dedpoolFlag

23. Jokers_Wild_X

I wanna see Scott Pegg as Pym. He and Wright work perfectly together, and with the comedy/action/adventure origin story direction, I can definitely see Pegg pulling this off.

4 years agoby @jokers-wild-xFlag

@Monkeyiron, no Aquaman movie has been released in the theaters as of yet, so what the hell are you talking about? bhaarath is completely right; don't say something if you do not have the facts. Better yet, don't leave a post on subjects you don't actually care about. It's just a waste of your time, and will get you grief from other people.

4 years agoby @ejk1Flag

25. Cartman

@Monkeyiron - dont generalize your statement, maybe you are not in to comics and superheroes that doesn't make Ant-man the least popular super hero,.. I remember you saying "Green lantern is Marvel's least popular super hero" and getting ripped by people,.. so if you don't know anything about superheroes or comics better don't say anything you can avoid couple of profanity here coming up your ass,, your comment really provokes me to use some words, I am controlling it this time, next time you'll get it dude,.. PEACE!!

4 years agoby @c-a-r-t-m-a-nFlag

26. Cripple

Pumped that Edgar Wright is doing this.

4 years agoby @crippleFlag