'Divergent' Lands Director Neil Burger

The 'Limitless' filmmaker will take on this dystopian drama where teenagers must decide their fate at age 16.
Neil Burger signs on to direct Divergent for Summit Entertainment
Neil Burger signs on to direct Divergent for Summit Entertainment
Director Neil Burger (Limitless, The Illusionist) has signed on to make Summit Entertainment's Divergent, a property that has drawn comparisons to Lionsgate's The Hunger Games.

The story is set in a dystopian Chicago where society is divided into five factions, each based on a virtue citizens must live their lives by - Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). The plot centers on Beatrice Prior, a 16-year-old who must decide which ideal to devote her life to, even if it means being separated from her family and friends. She must then undergo a strenuous initiation, while trying to figure out where a potential romance fits into her complicated life.

We first reported on this project last March, when the studio acquired the novel rights from 24-year-old author Veronica Roth. The book is the first in a planned trilogy. The sequel, Insurgent, was released in May, and the untitled third installment will be published next fall.

The studio plans to start production next March for an early 2014 release.

Divergent was released March 21st, 2014 and stars Shailene Woodley, Theo James, Ashley Judd, Jai Courtney, Ray Stevenson, Zoë Kravitz, Miles Teller, Tony Goldwyn. The film is directed by Neil Burger.

Sources: Variety

1. ChiRep_1

I'll stick to Hunger Games

2 years agoby @ChiRep-1Flag

2. thedude-abides

@bawnian-dexeus Yeah, there's no doubt about that, but the blame is three-fold, in my opinion. First, I blame the american public for not having sense enough to not hand over their money for something they've seen ten times over, and for not being educated enough to look for the really good films that are being made.

Secondly, there's just not that many good artists right now. Granted, there's a healthy number of about 15-20 (speaking in terms of writers and directors), but if the top 10 directors in the world came out with a movie every other year, which is an unrealistic pace to begin with, there would be about 5 movies a year worth watching, which speaks to your point about the limited number of original ideas being made. Couple that with people not being educated on what they're watching, and it creates a vicious cycle. Case in point: Moonrise Kingdom is the best movie I've seen thus far this year and hardly anyone's heard of it.

And finally, I blame the people in Hollywood for only caring about the bottom line, but that's with any business. If there were more great artists, and people were educated about what they were paying to see, Hollywood would shift their focus that way. Nevertheless, that's where we stand.

2 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

@thedude-abides Like I spoke with a few other users, I learned last week in my class that Hollywood isn't in the business of taking risks any more with worked on original movie ideas, and would rather gamble with mirrored works or copies of previous works to meet the audience's needs for entertainment. Same thing with literature and music. There are very few original pieces anymore, and the majority draw elements from previous works, like Twilight, House of Night, etc... I partially knew about this, but now it has been confirmed and all that from concrete info. Makes you wonder huh?

@thedude-abides Same thing with 50 Shades.

5. thedude-abides

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx I agree. It just sounds like the next link in the Potter/Twilight/Hunger Games chain, in my opinion.

2 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

6. Nicholaus XX

@thedude-abides -- Damn, this movie is going to have a tough time impressing you. Not that films don't, in general, but this one is going to have to be "extra" special.

@narrator -- No doubt. But, given the director, I don't think it's going to be nearly as bad as it sounds.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

7. thedude-abides

@narrator Also reminds me of the districts in Hunger Games.

2 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

8. Salemwolf711

First there were Twilight clones and now Hunger Games clones...I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

2 years agoby @Salemwolf711Flag

9. THE JOKER

@skywise Don't ever watch that movie drunk... haha will make you sick...

The only good news about this article is the director... if there is a director and can make something sparkle, it is this man! I will wait and see

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

Limitless was a surprise to me. I really enjoyed it so I would be willing to give this a shot.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

@narrator That is what Lionsgate and sister studios are going for these days. They see green, they gonna collect

@bawnian-dexeus, @XxNickTheFilmCriticXx

Doesn't it remind you of the four houses in Hogwarts? God, this plot sucks. Close-minded and completely unbelievable (and not in the good way). I'll pass, though this'll likely be some type of hit with the teenage demographic.

2 years agoby @narratorFlag

13. Xenon

I tried to read the book, it wasn't great.

2 years agoby @xenon56Flag

Hmm, has the same elements but with different attributes. Another female lead? Ugh

15. Dark-White-Knight