Director Sam Mendes to Return for 'Bond 24'

The 'Skyfall' director is coming back after Sony scrapped plans for a two-part 007 adventure.
Sam Mendes will likely return to direct Bond 24
Sam Mendes will likely return to direct Bond 24
The James Bond franchise doesn't normally retain directors for more than one movie, although, after the phenomenal box office success of Skyfall, that tradition is about to change. Director Sam Mendes is reportedly "75 percent sure" he is coming back to make Bond 24.

We reported in October that John Logan is writing the screenplay, and soon thereafter, reports started swirling that the next 007 movie would actually be a two-part project. Star Daniel Craig shot down those rumors just days later, but this new report indicates that may have actually been a part of the plan at one point. Now that Bond 24 is officially a stand-alone project, the director is close to signing on, but he intends to wait until a completed script has been turned in.

John Logan has two treatments written that outline the plot of Bond 24, but work on the actual script hasn't officially begun as of yet.

Daniel Craig will return as James Bond, with Ralph Fiennes (M), Naomie Harris (Eve Moneypenny), and Ben Whishaw (Q) slated to reprise their Skyfall roles as well.

Bond 24 comes to theaters November 6th, 2015 and stars Ralph Fiennes, Daniel Craig, Naomie Harris, Ben Whishaw. The film is directed by Sam Mendes.

Skyfall was released November 9th, 2012 and stars Daniel Craig, Judi Dench, Javier Bardem, Ralph Fiennes, Naomie Harris, Bérénice Marlohe, Albert Finney, Ben Whishaw. The film is directed by Sam Mendes.

Sources: The Daily Mail

1. T. King (Red Camera Man)

"Skyfall" wasn't as awesome as I thought it'd be. Oh well, at least there's always "Casino Royale."

1 year agoby @redcameramanFlag

2. masterofthemoon

Bond 24 will be good as Skyfall cause now we have a new M, Moneypenny and Q added to the mix its going to feel like the classic Bond all over again and that's good cause that formula has worked for 50 years!

1 year agoby @masterofthemoonFlag

3. Sean

@xenon56 Yes, I hope he stays as long as possible as well.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

4. Xenon

@themoviefanatic when Quantum of Solace hit theaters I thought I was watching a Bourne film.

Skyfall brought back what I loved about Bond, high adventure, big bad meany, the gagets and Q and the sudden appearance of Ralf. I hope he stays as long as possible.

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag

@thomasclarke That's understandable. While not to the same extremes as Britain, campaigning for the film has been pretty strong here in the states. I guess we'll just agree to have enjoyed the movie and will proceed to tune out the needless hype surrounding it.

As for the camp factor, I both agree and disagree. Bringing back some actual gadgets, disfigured villains, and even the classic martini will go a long way to appease folks who see this current series as a generic, high-strung, Bond/Bourne hybrid.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

6. Sean

@xenon56 Yeah, i liked Skyfall better then Quantum of Solace.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

7. Nick kaji

i think craig can win best pictures with mendes in it

1 year agoby @Omega007Flag

8. Nick kaji

o hell yea hes the best bond i thought no one would top connery but man craig performance wow blew connery away bond is craig........

1 year agoby @Omega007Flag

9. Xenon

@themoviefanatic Quantum was the only one I didn't like.

@Omega007 he's attached to two more.

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag

10. Nick kaji

how many more bonds is Daniel Craig making?

1 year agoby @Omega007Flag

11. Sean

@Omega007 Well, it was said to be that at one point and then Daniel Craig said that rumor was false, as mentioned in the article above.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

12. Nick kaji

So daniel craig is going to do 2 more Bonds???

1 year agoby @Omega007Flag

13. Sean

@xenon56 Really? I thought both of them were really good movies.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

14. slysnide

@the-movieghost: This is great news. Mendes doesn't have much to his resume, but his averages are good, and "SKYFALL" was excellent. I say bring him back for the remainder of Craig's films.

1 year agoby @slysnideFlag

15. Xenon

I didn't like Quantum, Skyfall I was very pleased with.

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag

16. Thomas Clarke (Kiion)

@narrator@felipe-11
    I don't know how it's publicity is like in American markets but here in the uk it's mad, posters are everywhere and I mean everywhere. Buses have been decked out with the entire paint Job being one large mural to the film. And adverts plague TVs at the moment, all for a DVD release. I think people have kind of gone over the top with this one, the film was good but like sometimes not blasting are our eyes with constant publicity is for the better.

With regards camp stuff in the new Bonds, I agree that the films are better without them. The issue I feel though is that without at least some gadgets these films will jus feel to much like Bourne, which lets be fair the directors of the latest 3 have easily tried to emulate somewhat.

1 year agoby @thomasclarkeFlag

17. Replicant

@thedude@thomasclarke@narrator Finally, someone else who thought Skyfall was overrated... I'd rather see Martin Campbell back with some of his Casino Royale magic (best Bond IMO), but Mendes isn't bad news either.

I don't appreciate the fact that he's bringing back the camp from old Bond movies (jumping on dragons, cars with secret machine guns, booby traps) but at least he gave us another memorable villain and great style.

1 year agoby @felipe-11Flag

18. gumperman

Plus John Glen, directed a bunch of Moore's Bond film's and I believe both Dalton outings. Also Martin Campbell Directed GoldenEye & Casino Royale. So maybe this means most of the time, but it has happened and it used to be the norm in the past.

1 year agoby @gumpermanFlag

19. gumperman

@slysnide Yeah, true. Guy Hamilton directed at least two back in the Connery days and Terrence Young directed I believe more than two.

1 year agoby @gumpermanFlag

20. slysnide

Actually the Bond franchise has constantly had directors return for sometimes 5 movies even.

1 year agoby @slysnideFlag

21. Zak Lee Ferguson

Such great news...Mendes did a ........made the best bond film ever in my opinion :P

1 year agoby @Zak-Lee-FergusonFlag

22. CelluloidDreams

Very cool news!

1 year agoby @2movieguysFlag

@narrator I think its safe to say each Bond film has a particular quality that make them the best of the best (excluding a few titles).

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

Funny, @thomasclarke. I was discussing the same thing on here the other night. Skyfall was very good, but between it's many borrowed aspects from The Dark Knight and it's "camp out and fight ghetto style" ending, it wasn't the best Bond film by a long shot, yet it's being treated like it is. We both missed the memo, I guess.

Still, I'm glad Sam Mendes is coming back. He brings a distinctive and very tasteful theme to the franchise, so big cheers for that.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

25. Xenon

Great news all around

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag

26. TheDude1

Even though Skyfall was completely overrated and still can't top Casino Royale as the best Craig Bond movie I'm not against Mendes coming back. They just need to write a better script next time.

1 year agoby @thedude1Flag