Director Edgar Wright Explains Ultron's Absence in 'Ant-Man'

Hank Pym's origin will be more than enough for one movie, with the approach compared to the first 'Iron Man'.
Edgar Wright explains Ultron's absence in Ant-Man
Edgar Wright explains Ultron's absence in Ant-Man
At Comic-Con 2013 last month, The Avengers: Age of Ultron director Joss Whedon revealed that Ultron is not created by Hank Pym (a.k.a. Ant-Man), giving the villain a whole new origin story that isn't from the Marvel comic books.

Ant-Man writer-director Edgar Wright has now revealed that Ultron was never a part of his script, comparing this Marvel Phase Three movie to 2008's Iron Man.

"It was never in my script. Because even just to sort of set up what Ant-Man does is enough for one movie. It's why I think Iron Man is extremely successful because it keeps it really simple. You have one sort of -- the villain comes from the hero's technology. It's simple. So I think why that film really works and why, sometimes, superhero films fail -- or they have mixed results -- because they have to set up a hero and a villain at the same time. And that's really tough. And sometimes it's unbalanced. You know, when I was younger I used to love Tim Burton's Batman. I was like 15 and even then I was aware, 'This is really the Joker's film.' It's like, the Joker just takes over and Batman, you really don't learn too much about him. Comics have years to explain this stuff and in a movie you have to focus on one thing. So it's about kind of streamlining, I think. Some of the most successful origin films actually have a narrower focus. You cannot put 50 years of the Marvel universe into a movie. It's impossible."

Ant-Man kicks off Marvel's Phase Three slate on November 1, 2015, just a few months after Phase Two wraps up with The Avengers: Age of Ultron on May 1, 2015.

Ant-Man comes to theaters July 17th, 2015 and stars Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, Michael Pena, Clifton Collins Jr., Evangeline Lilly, Patrick Wilson, Corey Stoll. The film is directed by Edgar Wright.

1. CoreyB

@skywise If that Marvel Logo comes up before the flick starts...you better believe theyre getting a good cut...not to mention dvd sales and toy lines etc. Marvel has Thor 2 coming out Capt America 2...Guardians...And then lil projects like Avengers two...For people to say theyre worried about RDJunior not being around is kind of crazy. He is still going to be in 2 more Avengers movies over next 4 years. They arent the least bit worried

8 months agoby @CoreyBFlag

2. Gandoff

Think his explanation is 100%, utter bull. To much to explain to set up Ultron in Antman? Batman Begins, Iron Man, Amazing Spider Man, and even Man of Steel set up full explanations for their characters and villains to hate them. With Man of Steel being the most simple of the three, the others was much more detailed in the set up of the roles. Antman could be done similar to Iron Man and Spiderman. Changing Ultron's origin is like Bruce Wayne's parents not being murdered.

8 months agoby @gandoffFlag

also forgive my typos and grammer...im running on about 3 hours of sleep today.

8 months agoby @skywiseFlag

@Brizzy You are right about he mass appeal of RDJ and while many of the other Marvel Studios characters that they have not licensed out are not as ready for the mass market, they have some very interesting characters. With the right people in the right places....many of those could be just as good.

8 months agoby @skywiseFlag

@CoreyB I wish Marvel/Disney had the rights to X Men and Spiderman but those properties are licensed out to Fox and Sony respectively. Sure, Marvel still benefits from the licensing deal (they are going to make their money) they, unfortunately do not have and creative control over the properties. They definitely are not going make the amount of cash they would had they kept those titles within the Marvel Studios stable.

8 months agoby @skywiseFlag

6. CoreyB

Yeah I think Marvel is just fine w/The Amazing Spider Man 2 coming out in 2014 and X-men days of future past also. I dont think theyre scared in the least...the next 5 years billions are gonna roll in. Stupid to say theyre sh*tting themselves

8 months agoby @CoreyBFlag

7. Brizzy

Mostly looking forward to Thor2 and GotG now to be honest. The rest of the announced Marvel properties don't excite me as much.

8 months agoby @BrizzyFlag

8. Brizzy

@therealGoku Agreed. RDJ is the banker at Marvel studios. But now that he's gonna be appearing less, Marvel are sh*tting themselves and are going to stick him in wherever they can because they have no plan B.

8 months agoby @BrizzyFlag

9. Brizzy

"It was never in my script. Because even just to sort of set up what Ant-Man does is enough for one movie. It's why I think Iron Man is extremely successful because it keeps it really simple."
    Let me translate that: Marvel wants to keep RDJ in the loop somehow because without RDJ and Loki soon to appear less, the Marvel franchise wont be as appealing anymore. I wish I could stay with the origins, but Marvel gets what Marvel wants.

8 months agoby @BrizzyFlag

Given that my experience with Ultron is quite limited, I have no say on his direction

8 months agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

11. Sean

@CoreyB I agree. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

8 months agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

12. The Real Goku

Sounds dumb as f*ck. If it wasn't for Robert downeys humor the iron man movies would have been horrible

8 months agoby @therealGokuFlag

13. CoreyB

This could end up being a cool flick

8 months agoby @CoreyBFlag

14. Xenon

Don't know much about Ant- man but willing to see it. What next? They will claim that S.H.E.I.L.D created these superheros.

8 months agoby @xenon56Flag