Fans can visit Despicablimp.com and follow the @Despicablimp Twitter feed to track the ship's 20,000-mile journey, and see where it will be stopping along the way. The website also includes details about a contest where one lucky fan will win a trip to the Los Angeles premiere of Despicable Me 2, and get a once-in-a-lifetime chance to ride in the "Despicablimp." Universal Pictures has also released these fun facts about the "Despicablimp," which you can check out below.
- The Despicablimp is one of only 15 airships flying in the world today.
- The Despicablimp is an A-150 blimp, one of the largest in the world at 165-feet long, 55-feet high and 46-feet wide! How big is that? You could fit approximately 75 million golf balls in the Despicablimp.
- Blimps have the best safety record of any type of aircraft, and use less fuel in 2 weeks than a 747 uses to take off!
- The blimp normally flies at 1,000 feet above the earth so that it's easy to see the giant Minion, but it can fly as high as 10,000 feet above the ground to get over a mountain range.
- The Despicablimp is lit from within using two 1,000-watt light bulbs and will be beautifully illuminated in the night sky.
Despicable Me 2 was released July 3rd, 2013 and stars Steve Carell, Kristen Wiig, Benjamin Bratt, Miranda Cosgrove, Russell Brand, Ken Jeong, Steve Coogan, Elsie Fisher. The film is directed by Pierre Coffin, Chris Renaud.