'Deadpool' and 'Venom' Updates from Writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick

The screenwriters address 'Deadpool''s leaked script and reveal that their version of 'Venom' is likely dead.
Deadpool still faces an 'uphill battle' with Fox
Deadpool still faces an 'uphill battle' with Fox
Deadpool screenwriters Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick are still waiting to get the green light from 20th Century Fox, even though they have Ryan Reynolds attached to star and a $50 million budget that is significantly lower than most of their movies. Rhett Reese revealed in a recent interview that the test footage shot last year was great, but that they still have to convince Marvel to make an R-rated superhero movie.

"We have a phenomenal director in Tim Miller, who did about a 3-minute test for Fox, and Ryan came in to do the mo-cap for it and the voice. And it's like the greatest three minutes ever. I look at the three minutes and I'm like, 'That's the movie, and it has to get made.' I think the biggest hurdle right now is convincing the-powers-that-be that it's okay to have a hard-R rated movie within the Marvel Universe."

Paul Wernick compared Deadpool to Iron Man's Tony Stark, a character unlike any other in the Marvel universe.

"Iron Man was like that when it came out. Tony Stark and the hard drinking, fast-talking billionaire was very different from all the other Marvel characters. And look what it became. And we feel that way about Deadpool."

The writers are also dealing with an unexplained leak of their screenplay, although Rhett Reese revealed that fans seemed to enjoy their take on the character.

"The script leaked online in some bizarre way that we haven't figured out, so it's very easily findable out there. It's pretty much you go on Google and type in "Deadpool script" and you'll find it. Not to say people should be doing that because it certainly wasn't something we anticipated or enjoyed in the moment, but the Deadpool fans who found it think that it's right in the wheelhouse of what a Deadpool movie should be. And so again, we're just fighting that uphill battle to convince people, and be positive."

Back in 2009 the writers were hired to tackle the script for a Venom spin-off, giving the popular Spider-Man villain his own stand alone movie. Paul Wernick confirmed that they did turn in a script years ago, but they are no longer involved.

"We did. A long time ago, and it likely will not become a movie in that form. Too many things have happened in between now and then and different people have been involved, and it's just likely not to happen in the form that we wrote it, unfortunately."

When asked to describe the tone of their Venom story, Rhett Reese said it was a darker take.

"[It was a] realistic, grounded, a little more dark take on the character. Eddie Brock was a conflicted character, and so I don't think it could've been Peter Parker."

Paul Wernick expanded on that, revealing that was some soul searching involved in their script as well.

"Yeah it was definitely kind of dark and soul search-y. We love it and we're proud of it. Imagine a symbiote traveling across a city at some point in the movie, jumping from body to body as it goes, and each person that it inhabits ends up becoming really violent and striking someone else and then it jumps to the next person. There was a really cool sequence like that in there."

Last March, we reported that Venom was revived, with Josh Trank (Chronicle) signing on to direct. That report also revealed that Sony was seeking new writers for the project.

Deadpool is in development and stars Ryan Reynolds.

Venom comes to theaters in 2019.

Sources: Collider

1. Xenon

I think they need to do the alternate earth Venom, like they did in one of the cartoon version a number of years ago where Peter had to go because his bosses son had crash landed there.

Snipes is a bit too old for Blade unless he can get back into shape.
    ' not seen his films lately' I would like to see Idris Elba as Blade.

I think the reason the studio doesn't want to get behind R rated films is because of the failure of Ghost Rider. I still think that the second one sucked.
    What they need to do is just introduce Eddie Brock without Venom.

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag

2. Titon

@skywise The producers talked about an NC=17 rating for Deadpool which I think would be too much, as for Venom it has to be PG=13 and it would be better if they introduce him in The Amazing Spider-Man 3 with Eddie Brock an make a spin-off from there with the Venom film ending with Carnage.

1 year agoby @TitonFlag

3. SherlockHolmes2009

Well I guess the Venom movies dead but at least Deadpools going forward

1 year agoby @SherlockHolmes2009Flag

I really don't think a Venom movie would work

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

@Titon Deadpool should be a Hard R film you mean? Deadpool HAS to be R but I think you could get by with a PG-13 rating for venom.

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag

6. Titon

@skywise Sony is waiting for The Amazing Spider-Man ending so they could do a Venom film

1 year agoby @TitonFlag

7. Titon

@skywise Your right Deadpool should be a hard PG-13 film, as for Blade 4 he will be hunting werewolves since the third ended with all vampires.

1 year agoby @TitonFlag

@Titon I could get behind Idris Elba as Blade. But I could also get behind Blade 4 with Snipes.

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag

@Titon I would really be interested in an R rated Venom but I dont think it is as necessary as it would be for a proper Deadpool movie.

It would be nice but I definatly do not see it happening with Venmon - if that movie even ever gets made.

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag

10. Titon

@skywise Since you brought Blade, I think they should reboot it with Idris Elba in the role

1 year agoby @TitonFlag

11. Titon

@skywise R rated both films will be great.

1 year agoby @TitonFlag

12. Xenon

I want both to happen

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag

@bawnian-dexeus@Titon DOH! Lets call it a momentray lapse of reason. I dont know how I could forget that Sony owns the rights of all the mutants.

Your right @Titon they should definatly do it. There was a little movie called Blade that was rated R and can really be included in the films that kicked off the modern comic book movie genre (along with X Men of course).

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag

14. Titon

@skywise 20 century fox has the rights of Deadpool and Sony's has the rights of Venom, if they want an R rated movie, they should do it, they will be stand-alone films, they have good script all they need is a good director for Deadpool they already have Ryan Reynolds in the role, and Sony already has Josh Trank for Venom, but until Trank doesn't finish with the Fantastic Four reboot Venom will not happen.

1 year agoby @TitonFlag

15. supermanvenom

I want a Venom movie without Topher Grace. He sucked so bad in that movie.

1 year agoby @supermanvenomFlag

16. Filter

@Stallone-Jackson Yeah they do, but you're forget the fact that 20th Century Fox owns the rights to almost every movie based on the Marvel Comics

1 year agoby @filterFlag

17. Sean

@skywise I don't think it will happen either.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

with disney behind the wheel there will never be a hard R movie. Of course they have their touchstone pictures for the movre risque projects but Marvel is firmly under Disney. As much as I want it to happen I just dont think it will.

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag

19. Stallone Jackson

Lets not forget Disney is running the show.

1 year agoby @Stallone-JacksonFlag

20. Josh

Gotta try to find this Deadpool leaked script. I didn't know that was floating around out there.

1 year agoby @shuabertFlag

21. Mr.K

They have to release this movie rated R. It's Deadpool for god sake's and a lot of R rated movies are making a lot of money. Take the risk MARVEL!

1 year agoby @mr-kFlag

22. ridgl

why don't you release that test footage on kickstarter and let the FANS show their devotion to the project.

1 year agoby @ridglFlag

23. Erikajinx

I think they should just go ahead and give it to them. I mean what's wrong with it being rated-R. Blade was rated-R

1 year agoby @ErikajinxFlag

24. Replicant

It would be amazing if they made a Venom movie first and then crossed it over with the new Spider-man movies.

The Deadpool movie NEEDS to happen. Prometheus showed us the world is ready for well-directed large budget R-rated films.

1 year agoby @felipe-11Flag