'Dawn of the Planet Apes' Eyeing Directors Matt Reeves and J Blakeson

Juan Carlos Fresnadillo and Jeff Nichols are also contenders to replace Rupert Wyatt on the highly-anticipated Fox sci-fi sequel.
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes seeking directors Matt Reeves and J Blakeson
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes seeking directors Matt Reeves and J Blakeson
20th Century Fox was dealt a blow last week when Rise of the Planet of the Apes director Rupert Wyatt pulled out of the sequel Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Today, we have word that the studio is looking at Matt Reeves (Let Me In), J Blakeson (The Disappearance of Alice Creed), Juan Carlos Fresnadillo (Intruders), and Jeff Nichols (Take Shelter) to step in at the helm.

It is said that Matt Reeves is at the top of the studio's short list, although the others are still in contention. The filmmakers will meet with Fox production president Emma Watts in the near future.

Rupert Wyatt reportedly stepped away from the follow-up because he wasn't comfortable with meeting the May 26, 2014 release date Fox had already set. Studio execs are pleased with the screenplay draft that was turned in by Rise of the Planet of the Apes writers Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was released July 11th, 2014 and stars Andy Serkis, Jason Clarke, Gary Oldman, Keri Russell, Toby Kebbell, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Kirk Acevedo, Nick Thurston. The film is directed by Matt Reeves.

Sources: Deadline

1. Zak Lee Ferguson

@mcleve02 I with you- I was being a bit of a pretentious douche and just down the bottom line I am blinded for my scathing loath for LET ME IN and it shadowed my appreciation for Cloverfield but hopefully Reeves has something at hand- but I was actually looking forward to see what he does with twilight zone as in the UK it is quite a scarce production. Is that still a-running in pre-pro?

2 years agoby @Zak-Lee-FergusonFlag

2. THE JOKER

@Zak-Lee-Ferguson haha ok! Yeah there are a few people I don't mind fighting with on here and there are those whom I think i get along with... I enjoy keeping you in the latter!

3. Zak Lee Ferguson

@mcleve02 io know you are not i was trying to get Nick off your back about my ignorence i know what you was writing pal :L i know porbs having bad day!

2 years agoby @Zak-Lee-FergusonFlag

4. THE JOKER

@Zak-Lee-Ferguson Hey man, calm down... I am seriously not trying to fight with you. If they fight with you, then that is between you guys. I was simply saying they never that way with me at all...Just like I have always gotten along with you on this site. So please just stop...

5. Bane5000

It been already announced Reeves got the job

2 years agoby @bane5000Flag

6. THE JOKER

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx alright! Cool deal!

7. Nicholaus XX

@mcleve02 -- Oh, I know. I wasn't trying to undermine you, but add insight. It's cool, man.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

8. THE JOKER

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx Hey man, I was actually attmepting to defend you lol...

9. Nicholaus XX

@mcleve02 -- Not that this discussion is immature (at least on my part). It's definitely not a mature discussion, but it's anything but ignorant.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

10. THE JOKER

@Zak-Lee-Ferguson But I am glad to see that you understand my point of where I am coming from

11. THE JOKER

@Zak-Lee-Ferguson I don't know dude... some kind of button got pushed... I know that @ROFLitschristian is one of the most highly respected users on here... and @XxNickTheFilmCriticXx usually has mature conversations... A button has just gotten pushed... we all fall off the wagon and act like dicks on here, I actually do it more than both of them combined between Sean and the monkey... I would honestly just let it go...

12. Nicholaus XX

@Zak-Lee-Ferguson -- He's not one of my favorite directors, actually. I'm awaiting an argument? Funny you say that - based on your comments, it seems to be the other way around. I'm a sad person because I called you out on your grammar? You posted three consecutive posts, excluding @mentions, ranting away, all the while calling everyone that was fond of the decision a "f*cking moron".

Look in the mirror, buddy. You're the one that needs to grow up.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

13. THE JOKER

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx haha there are a few out there I will do it for and he is one of them. I will always appreciate someone with imagination, even if occasionally their imagination gives us something we hate

14. Nicholaus XX

@mcleve02 -- Ah. I'm just new to people defending movies/directors, even though they hate them/their movies. I'm one of the only people to do that, so I took it as a surprise.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

15. THE JOKER

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx While that film may have been a flop, it showed me the man had creativity is all I am saying... hence my comment a little further below about being handed a well written story for him, he should be able to do really well with it... If that makes sense to you...

16. Nicholaus XX

@Zak-Lee-Ferguson -- Did you just repeat what you just said to @ROFLitschristian? All right, then...

There's no way I'm reading this. You just told me to grow up, and yet you don't even use commas/proper punctuation. Where was I being immature about it? I'm trying to get my mind wrapped around what's happening. Yeah, because it's not unusual for someone to like, and then hate a movie within the long distance of a *year*.

Gotcha.

So, that I could get why you didn't like it. And it's not because you have a higher standard, obviously. You made bold statements, and I found that you couldn't back them up.

Duly noted.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

17. Nicholaus XX

@Zak-Lee-Ferguson -- That's weird, didn't you rate "Cloverfield" 3/5?

@mcleve02 -- Which is also weird, because you gave it a terrible rating. Did you like "Let Me In"?

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

18. THE JOKER

@Zak-Lee-Ferguson Yeah, until he gives me more of a reason I will hold my faith! haha... all we can do is hope!

19. THE JOKER

@bawnian-dexeus Hey we eventually do... it just took awhile!

@mcleve02 Can't be em, join them

21. THE JOKER

@bawnian-dexeus haha are you implying that you are now the Ape and not Monkey?

@mcleve02 Nah, wouldn't want to soil my hands by touching a damn dirty human :P

23. THE JOKER

@bawnian-dexeus haha... wow...please punch me... lol

@mcleve02 Name of the first Godzilla movie, not the band

25. THE JOKER

@bawnian-dexeus Gojira... or were you talking about something else haha

26. THE JOKER

@bawnian-dexeus The band you listed is a French band, is it not? haha Sorry for being strange and confusing!

And that it definitely is! I still thoroughly enjoy watching it!

27. Corey W.

Only reason I'm thumbing this up is because the project is moving forward.

2 years agoby @coreyFlag