David Slade Directing 'Daredevil' Remake

The project will not feature material from the 2003 movie starring Ben Affleck.
David Slade will direct the next Daredevil project for 20th Century Fox
David Slade will direct the next Daredevil project for 20th Century Fox
David Slade has signed onto direct a Daredevil Reboot for 20th Century Fox.

We reported back in February 2010 that Fox was moving forward with a reboot of the 2003 Daredevil movie, which starred Ben Affleck. David Scarpa, who wrote Fox's remake The Day the Earth Stood Still, was hired at that time to write the script. It isn't known if he is still involved with the project.

This latest report indicates that this new Daredevil Reboot incarnation will not feature material from the first movie, so it seems this could be a new origin story for Daredevil.

There was also speculation back in 2009 that Katee Sackhoff was trying out to play Typhoid Mary, a former lover of Matt Murdock/Daredevil, who later became his enemy. The actress was spotted buying up every Daredevil comic she could find that featured the character, although we have heard nothing about Katee Sackhoff's involvement since then.

There is no indication of where the story will take us in this new Daredevil Reboot movie yet.

Daredevil is in development .

Sources: Variety

1. CBF

I hated the 2003 Theatrical Version, but loved the Director's Cut, of both Daredevil and Elektra. Yes, yes I know - "Elektra? What the hell CBF?" Well watch both Director's Cuts back to back and you get an entirely different perspective of both films. It is surprising too, considering I hate Ben Affleck's acting range (or lack of, rather).

And while I agree that DD is a dark world, does it necessarily need a reboot, much like they want to do wit F4? Ummm... I need to think more about that. David Slade? Hmmm.

3 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

2. Bane5000

@keesjecola...True, some comics like Spider-man and of the likes could be lighthearted compared to ur dark and gritty like ur Batman and sorts, but how would u see Daredevil being, gritty like Bats or light and humorous like Spidey...?

3 years agoby @bane5000Flag

3. Daveactor7

@josh his recent works show that his skills are dropping

3 years agoby @daveactor7Flag

4. RojoDiablo

I really liked 30 days of night actually, Hard Candy not so much. I do think having KIngpin be truer to the comics is important even though I though MCD was fine in the first DD. The directors cut of the original DD is my favorite for sure but I also didn't exactly hate Elektra like everyone else on here, so take that into consideration. I also agree that not all comic book films have to be dark & gritty unless it's absolutely necessary, like it was for TDK!

3 years agoby @rojodiabloFlag

5. Josh

@daveactor7 He also directed the critically-acclaimed "Hard Candy".

3 years agoby @shuabertFlag

6. Remy72883

i liked the 1st one their were just a few camera shots that bug me a little

3 years agoby @remy72883Flag

7. Xenon

Lane Kingpin is a thorn in both of their sides. Both heroes do work together but not all the time.
    The main thing why the first film failed for me is because, Kingpin was portrayed by Michael Clark Duncan yes he's a good actor. But I feel it has to be a big fat white man, he's a very important man since he got the sinister six together... And does everything in his power to corrupt people or have them killed. He's the main villain and both Spiderman and DD are constantly used by him.
    In other words Kingpin is just as an important character as Spiderman or DD.

It's a good sign that David is attached to this as long we get to see the right Kingpin.

3 years agoby @xenon56Flag

8. KeesjeCola

@bane5000 You make a good point, but I do not think that every comicbook movie has to be serious. Sure, it worked for Batman, but that doesn't mean everyone of them has to be dark and grim. Some comicmovies may be better if they're lighthearted.
    I admit I don't read comics, so your case is probably more valid. But I do think Spider-Man, for example, would not be worse if there were more jokes in it. Keep the drama, don't make it grim.

3 years agoby @keesjecolaFlag

9. Lane

I've never seen the original Daredevil... not even parts of it on cable or anything (mainly because I don't usually watch a film unless I can catch it from the beginning). But from what I keep hearing about how good the Director's Cut was, I might just end up buying that eventually without having ever seen the theatrical version first. I always wanted to see Daredevil just cause I knew nothing about the character, other than the obvious, and was always interested in seeing the movie for the performances. And I'd like to have SOME knowledge of the character before waiting to see a reboot or remake.

I've always been confused about something though. Since I don't read the comics, is Kingpin a DD character or Spider-man character? When I heard he was going to be the main villian in Daredevil I was like what? ... Cuz I'd only ever seen him in the 90's SM cartoon. :/

3 years agoby @lane1Flag

10. Daveactor7

David Slade? The guy who directed the terrible "30 days of night" and "Twilight saga: Eclipse"? Epic pass.

3 years agoby @daveactor7Flag

11. Josh

I quite enjoy the first Daredevil. I haven't seen the director's cut yet.

3 years agoby @shuabertFlag

12. Bane5000

@ejk1 ...Really, imagine how that wouldve came bout, i just hope that now that time has passed on from the days of Elektra movie and studios see comic book movies have to be made seriously in order to be taken serious, this DD film will come out great

3 years agoby @bane5000Flag

@bane5000 Ridiculous...I remember that mini phenomenon of giving female love interests of the hero a spin off movie. They were actually going to give Halle Berry a Jinx movie, reprising her role from Die Another Day. Can you believe that sh*t? Thank God it never occurred. There would be two pieces of sh*t at the bottom of the movie toilet instead of the one.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

14. Bane5000

@ejk1...No offense taken, and yeah dont watch it buddy, i dont know how to explain the film honeslty...its just bland is all i can say, Garner was more Elektra in DD then she was in her own Elektra film

3 years agoby @bane5000Flag

@bane5000 No offense to you, but screw that Elektra flick. I've never seen it, and don't plan on ever doing so. Bring the Hand in for DD:Origins (Yeah, it's cheesy, but it will work for now as a title).

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

16. Bane5000

@ejk1...Points well made, i like the idea u panned out if it turns to a trilogy and saving Born Again for the final film, cuz they can build up through the first two how his life is getting out of hand balancing being Matt and DD, and when he thinks hes found the middle ground, Page exposes him to the world and it spins more out of control that Kingpin sees his chance of sending villians out to finish him once and for all

As for having The Hand as the adversaries for Daredevil would be awesome, though they were already shown in Elektra and could possibly be involved in The Wolverine, unless i was seeing things, it would be kool to have them in this series

3 years agoby @bane5000Flag

17. SpaceCowboy

As long as it doesn't suck...

3 years agoby @SpaceCowboyFlag

18. Barkx

Damned FOX! And we were so close to the rights reverting back to Marvel...!

3 years agoby @barkxFlag

19. Andrew Thompson

if they did bullseye right it would be very cool, i can see fox going gee lets introduce the yellow claw as the main villan or Nathan Jones as the kingpin would be very cool! hey does anyone know did jennifer garner get naked in the love scene from the first movie i saw it in the theatre and i swear she got naked in it...unless i was just hopeing! :)

3 years agoby @andrew-thompsonFlag

Okay, let's get a few general statements out of the way before I delve into this fully:

1) The Daredevil movie that was released into theaters was choppy at best. However, the Directors Cut is damn good, as it fills in the parts that were stupidly cut out of the theatrical release.

2) "Fox sucks! Fox sucks!" Fox sucks? Really? Then why are half the people on this thread that are saying "Fox sucks!" also saying "First Class Looks great! in other threads?"

Now that I said that, let's get into this. First off, Save "The Man Without Fear" as a title for the sequel (if there is one), and call this "Daredevil" or "The Daredevil." That's thing #1. Thing #2 is the perfect actor to play Matt Murdock, and, not surprisingly, @narrator has it correctly nailed it: Guy Pearce.As for the whole "he doesn't do comic book films," I call BS. Look, we are ten years removed from Memento. As good as he is, Pearce has yet to crack the top-line of actors, being relegated to supporting roles. He needs to branch out, and a starring role as an iconic comic book character could be exactly what he needs. His movie slate for 2011 doesn't seem too promising: Don't be Afraid of the Dark, a horror remake, and The Hungry Rabbit Jumps, which stars Nic Cage. I mean seriously, Pearce won't do DD, but he'll play second fiddle to Ghost Rider? C'mon Pearce, do your fans and your career a favor, and look into this. Downey, Bale, and Jackman don't regret their decisions, and I highly doubt Reynolds, Evans, and Hemsworth will regret it, either.
    As for story, I'm not against an origin tale, as long as Stick, the Chaste, and the Hand are involved. Kingpin, Bullseye and Elektra can all wait their turn. Karen Page, possibly the greatest love of DD's life (yes, maybe more so than Elektra), must show up. As for "Born Again," it should not be the first movie. It needs a good set-up. Perhaps have the first movie be an origins tale, with DD exposing his true identity to Page, who subsequently leaves at the end of the movie because she can't take the pressure of knowing the secret. The second movie can be the whole Bullseye/Elektra thing, with the third film following the "Born Again" arc, as Page sells DD's identity. I'm getting far ahead of myself, but that's one way to do justice for what was the most consistently good comic book and comic book character in Marvel's house for the last 20-30 years. They could cherry-pick tales from Miller, Bendis, or Brubaker, and I would be happy. If done correctly, of course :)

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

The one thing about the original film that i really liked was the origin story. I feel like the really nailed it but after that the movie sort ofbogs down..at least until Garner hits the screen.

"Stop hitting me!"

3 years agoby @skywiseFlag

22. MadJohnsonProductions

Please let this be better than the 2003 movie.

3 years agoby @MadJohnsonProductionsFlag

@elmaschingon I always thought Bullseye was one of the coolest DD baddies but they pretty much raped his character in the film. The film had so many shortcomings (and Jennifer Garner was not one of them) but its still a movie i watch when i catch it on cable (because Garner is hothothothothot - shallow i know). I just hope they get this one a little better.

3 years agoby @skywiseFlag

24. ElMasChingon

hmmm, i actually enjoed the first daredevil. but i think it was more for the music than anything else, but it was still alright, ben affleck was wierd in that movie, like he didnt actually wanna play him but whatever, i'd like to see a different take on bullseye, or maybe bring in the owl guy i forgot his name, but either way, if they gonna make a reboot, better include some kick-ass music like the first did

3 years agoby @elmaschingonFlag

25. moviegeek

I'm not against a daredevil reboot, but this guy has no good credits to his name that I've seen.

3 years agoby @moviegeekFlag

@dan1 i recently read the dark knight returns as well....a classic.

i have been a fan of daredevil since i was kid. Curiouis to how this one will play it.

3 years agoby @skywiseFlag

@bane5000 Well, I haven't read that one of Miller's, but I am currently reading his Dark Knight Returns, which is pretty dark and good. Judging from that, I'd like it.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

28. Bane5000

@dan1...LOL, thats one of the sites i saw it on, what do u think if they go with Millers take...as well as having The Kingpin as the villian once more...?

3 years agoby @bane5000Flag

@bane5000 Lol I just read that over at cbm.com.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

30. Bane5000

Now its being said on other sites that this Daredevil will be based on Frank Millers "Born Again "... it deals with Daredevil's fall to madness at the hands of the Kingpin, who learns the identity of the superhero and begins to systematically destroy his life while Daredevil is struggling to build a new life for himself...

Tough it also features an appearance by Captain America and The Avengers, for sure that part won't make it in

IDK, what do u guys think?

3 years agoby @bane5000Flag