David Fincher Wants Brad Pitt as Ned Lands in '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea'

The actor is up to play the iconic harpoonist in the Walt Disney adaptation of the Jules Verne classic.
Brad Pitt wanted for 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Brad Pitt wanted for 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
While David Fincher awaits the script for The Girl Who Played with Fire, the follow-up to his 2011 thriller The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, he has decided to move forward on Walt Disney Pictures adaptation of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Captain Nemo.

The director wants frequent collaborator Brad Pitt to play the iconic harpoonist Ned Lands in this Jules Verne classic. Kirk Douglas played the role in the 1954 original based on the novel.

Right now, Walt Disney has placed a three-month hold on the director as the studio decides whether or not they want to move forward with the property. The film has not yet received a green light.

An older A-list actor is being sought for the title role of Captain Nemo. May we suggest George Clooney? Or is that too obvious?

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Captain Nemo comes to theaters in 2015. The film is directed by David Fincher.

Sources: Variety

1. Sean

@cheetoboy@artkid04@skywise Maybe Liam Neeson will eventually be cast in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Captain Nemo?

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

2. Cripple

Bryan Cranston as Nemo.

1 year agoby @crippleFlag

3. Cheetoboy

Yeah Pitt would be a great choice, also since he's an A-lister it would mean bigger numbers at the box office. To which A-lister would be good to play Captain Nemo, Clooney probably would be to obvious. Well maybe Johnny Depp should do it, wait a second he's to obvious too. Now I liked the suggestion someone made about Liam Neeson, I think he would make a great Captain Nemo.

1 year agoby @cheetoboyFlag

4. THE JOKER

Always a great choice

1 year agoby @mcleve02Flag

@narrator I was actually thinking of Neeson for the part of Nemo. I think Brad Pitt is to old to play the part of Ned Lands but with a little makeup he always looks younger than he is.

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag

6. SherlockHolmes2009

That'd be awesome to see them team up again, but I really want him to do The Girl Who Played with Fire

1 year agoby @SherlockHolmes2009Flag

7. thedude-abides

@narrator I'm not familiar with either role. I do like the idea of Viggo Mortenson, however. That would be intruiging, to say the least.

1 year agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

Based off of his role in the Mutiny on the Bounty remake, @skywise, I might be inclined to agree that Neeson fits the part well enough that his acting abilities would only further his immersion in the role. However, I honestly think Pitt is far more Kirk Douglas like in persona, and even if they're going for a more authentic direction with the character, Pitt still works best going against the grain. Neeson dies in just about all of his roles anyway, so he already doesn't fit the criteria. :P

As for an actor for Nemo, I'd really proffer an authentic ethnically exotic actor like a younger Ben Kingsley over the typical A-listers that come to mind (Clooney, Jackman, Downey Jr). In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing Viggo Mortenson in the role.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

9. Sean

@skywise Good point.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

10. Mka47

lucky for us movie magic can make them as 'old' as they need to be

1 year agoby @mka47Flag

11. artkid04

liam neeson and david fincher, that would be a treat!!

1 year agoby @artkid04Flag

George Clooney is only 3 years older than Brad Pitt. Someone like Liam Neeson might fit the part better.

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag

Absolutely, @thedude-abides. About half of Pitt's most memorable roles have come from working with Fincher, and I see no reason why they'd stop their roll now. I'm curious over who they'd get to play Nemo, though. That's not an easy role to cast.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

14. Roberto Mata

Older A-list Actors for the leads is a great idea, and I can see Pitt and Clooney in Ned's and Nemo's roles (respectively)!!! David Fincher is gonna do a great job that's for sure!!

1 year agoby @Roberto-MataFlag

15. thedude-abides

They're at their best when they're together. I see no reason why Pitt would turn down the opportunity to work with him again, scheduling conflicts notwithstanding.

1 year agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

16. AvalleAJ

Hopefully this happens

1 year agoby @AvalleAJFlag

17. Roberto Mata

@bawnian-dexeus I Agree, and is good to hear this is moving forward!!!

1 year agoby @Roberto-MataFlag