David Fincher and Jon Favreau Interested in Directing 'Star Wars: Episode VII'

Michael Arndt is writing the screenplay for Disney's highly-anticipated sequel that takes us back to that galaxy far, far away.
David Fincher may be interested in director Star Wars: Episode VII
David Fincher may be interested in director Star Wars: Episode VII
Last month, Iron Man director Jon Favreau issued a vague statement that indicated how excited he was for Star Wars: Episode VII, although he never said he is or is not up for the open director position. Today, we have word that the filmmaker is "panting after this job," and that David Fincher may be in the running as well.

Both filmmakers have a history with George Lucas. David Fincher served as an assistant camera man on Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi, and Jon Favreau used George Lucas' Skywalker Ranch for the sound mixing on Iron Man. Jon Favreau also guest starred in a voice role on the animated series Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

As with most stories regarding Star Wars: Episode VII, nothing has been confirmed by LucasFilm or Walt Disney Pictures. All we know for certain is that Michael Arndt is writing the screenplay, and that Disney plans to release this highly-anticipated sequel in 2015.

Star Wars: Episode VII comes to theaters December 18th, 2015 and stars Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Billy Dee Williams, Anthony Daniels. The film is directed by J.J. Abrams.

Sources: Deadline

1. Josh

I wouldn't really care for Favreau, though I'm sure if he's chosen he would do a passable job. But Fincher really interests me. He's never taken on a project of this style before, but he's an excellent visual filmmaker and I think Benjamin Button showed he could handle a fantasy story well.

1 year agoby @shuabertFlag

2. thedude-abides

@narrator Agreed. Couldn't hurt.

1 year agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

Normally, I'd shoot this type of rumored sh*t down. Favreau has already implied he doesn't want to direct this project, and no one can really blame him. David Fincher? The dude hasn't even crossed my mind as a serious candidate for Episode VII, and he's my second favorite director. So normally I'd be inclined to agree with @bawnian-dexeus and @thedude-abides.

However, when I actually stop and think about it, I feel as though Fincher's involvement in this film would do everyone a great service, regardless of how different the project may be compared to his past body of work. Fincher, while being a true master of tension (Zodiac, TGWTDT, Se7en), is really one of the few auteurs capable of making just about any project work regardless of genre (Social Network, Fight Club, Benjamin Button). When you think about it, we know that he'd bring amazing visuals, sharp cinematography, and compelling emotion to the film, whether the script blows or not (Panic Room, anyone?). While I don't see him actually taking the job, I wouldn't mind in the least if he helmed this blockbuster.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

4. Sean

@Roberto-Mata Yes i hope so too, that everything works out.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

5. Roberto Mata

@themoviefanatic that's true, i hope everything works out..

1 year agoby @Roberto-MataFlag

6. Sean

@Roberto-Mata There is probably a chance, that he will direct it then. Unless one of the girl with the dragon tattoo sequels are pretty close to 2015.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

7. K-Man

If Fincher gets the job, you can consider me BACK ON the Star Wars train. He would be a dream director for a job like this! One can only hope that comes true.

1 year agoby @k-manFlag

8. Geekster

@bawnian-dexeus plausable- hmmmmm perhaps not have you seen cowsboys and aliens and not ot forget irondick2

1 year agoby @The-Mudder-F-cking-Loud-KillerFlag

9. Geekster

Fincher pleaseeeeeeeee

1 year agoby @The-Mudder-F-cking-Loud-KillerFlag

10. Xenon

Two great choices, but whoever does direct it I'll be happy.

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag

11. Zak Lee Ferguson

mw get your facts right- Fav released a stament so said a couple of weeks ago now he head on wanting to do it- this site is just f*cking bull!

1 year agoby @Zak-Lee-FergusonFlag

12. Roberto Mata

@themoviefanatic it's very difficult to say, he will direct the girl with the dragon tatoo sequels first, and this movie is set for release on 2015...

1 year agoby @Roberto-MataFlag

13. Replicant

I love Fincher, but I'd rather see him pass on this... I want my Dragon Tattoo sequels, and I want them fast!

@john-m haha even Fincher disagrees with you on that last one, he hates Alien 3.

1 year agoby @felipe-11Flag

@skywise Imagine his style and tone with Sith characters

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

15. Justice Kowaleski

DAVID FINCHER ENOUGH SAID

1 year agoby @justice-kowaleskiFlag

Hmmm, funny that Fincher never even crossed my mind as a possability but it is intruiging.

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag

Fincher won't do it and being an assistant camera man doesn't necessarily mean "Oh, he held the sharpness back in the day, he's perfect for it."

Jon seems the more plausible

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

18. Sean

@Roberto-Mata Oh, so David Fincher probably will be the one who that will direct it then.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

19. Roberto Mata

@themoviefanatic oh and include in that list David Yates (working on the Tarzan film)

1 year agoby @Roberto-MataFlag

20. Roberto Mata

@themoviefanatic He is a Fantastic Storyteller, and he fits for this type of movies, but he's attached to direct the two remaining Girl with the Dragon Tattoo sequels, George Lucas is already retired, and almost every A-List director has turned down the chance to direct, the best options in my opinion are: Christopher Nolan ( highly unlikely he will accept), David Fincher, Ben Affleck, Ridley Scott (busy with the Prometheus sequels and Blade Runner) John Hillcoat...

1 year agoby @Roberto-MataFlag

21. Basquat

Fincher. Now that would be interesting. And Favreau is so overrated, he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a project of this magnitude.

1 year agoby @basquatFlag

22. CUPID

George Lucas should do this.

1 year agoby @cupidFlag

23. Luc Eccles Biron

Green light, this would be great!

1 year agoby @luc-eccles-bironFlag

24. moviegeek

Fincher? That would be crazy weird.

1 year agoby @moviegeekFlag

25. CelluloidDreams

Hmmmmmmmm!!!

1 year agoby @2movieguysFlag

26. The Real Goku

Jon Favreau??? After he took all the action out of iron man???? F * C K N O

1 year agoby @therealGokuFlag

27. thedude-abides

I think this is more Favreau's speed than Fincher's, although I highly doubt that either man will end up directing it.

1 year agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

28. John M

This is just a rumor, but I'd like Fincher directing the next Star Wars film. He has put together some great films with Se7en, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Fight Club and Alien 3 though I'm sure many will disagree with me on the last film. Anyway I think Fincher would be a great choice for the VII.

1 year agoby @john-mFlag

29. Sean

@Roberto-Mata Maybe he will?

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag