Damon Lindelof Responds to 'Prometheus 2' Rumor That He Sabotaged the Franchise

Insiders say that director Ridley Scott and 20th Century Fox are freaking out about where to take the story for this follow-up.
Damon Lindelof responds to Prometheus 2 rumors
Damon Lindelof responds to Prometheus 2 rumors
A new report reveals that 20th Century Fox and director Ridley Scott are "freaking out" about how to come up with a story for Prometheus 2. Prometheus writer Damon Lindelof confirmed in December that he is not working on the script for the sequel, which is allegedly causing a "headache" for the studio, according to a story from Bloody-Disgusting.

The initial story indicates that Damon Lindelof turned Jon Spaihts' original draft for Prometheus from a one-off into a trilogy, but that he "left them in the dust" by deciding to turn down the offer to write Prometheus 2. As a result, Ridley Scott and 20th Century Fox are reportedly, "literally freaking out" about where to take the story of Elizabeth Shaw, portrayed by Noomi Rapace in Prometheus. The studio is taking pitches from "basically anyone" who has a take on how to move forward with this follow-up.

Damon Lindelof himself responded with the following statement, clearing the air as to why he is not writing the sequel, and casting much doubt on the original story.

"While I'm happy to maintain my ongoing role as internets whipping boy (well, not happy, but at least resigned) this is a weird attack piece, even for someone who should be used to it by now.

The unglamorous truth is this:

During the creative process of Prometheus, all involved (that includes Fox and Ridley) had a strong desire for this film to launch off in its own way so that by the end, it would not connect directly to the original Alien, but instead run parallel to it. This is something that I talked about many, many times in the press burst around the release of the movie. As you probably remember, there was a lot of interest as to whether Prometheus was a "prequel" - the answer was, 'Yes. Sort of. But if there was a sequel to Prometheus, it would not be Alien.'

Taking the strong foundation that Jon Spaihts had already written, I worked on the script to this end - and yes, during that process, Ridley did occasionally riff on what he felt might happen next as Shaw and David's Head ventured off of LV-223 in search of wherever The Engineers had come from.

After the movie came out and discussions began about a possible sequel, I was already neck deep in writing and producing Tomorrowland with Brad Bird. I have found, unfortunately, that if I take on too many projects at one time, there is a higher probability of those projects sucking. And contrary to popular belief, I do not want anything I work on to suck. I really don't. I care about these stories deeply - not just as a writer, but as a fan. It might not always feel that way to the audience, but I swear to God it is true. It also so happens that Ridley was about to embark on directing his next movie, The Counselor, and had another one, Child 44 lined up right behind it. The conclusion was obvious - In the best interest of the franchise, it was best to take myself out of the running before I had to suffer the embarrassment of potentially not even being offered it.

And that it is the complete (if not somewhat boring) truth.

As to whether Ridley and Fox are "freaking out" about me not working on a sequel, well that's news to me. I retain awesome relationships with both. More importantly, the idea that there aren't many, MANY writers out there capable of taking the reins is sort of ridiculous. I did not map out a trilogy and then walk when the going got tough. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know me and doesn't know the truth.

The process of working on Prometheus with Ridley was one of the greatest things that has ever happened to me. Love or hate the result of that work, I don't regret having done it for a second.

Bloody Disgusting was very clever in tagging their story with the sentiment that denials were going to come. This would seem to throw shade on me denying the veracity of the story simply by anticipating that I would.

But denying the story I am.

As I said, I will take all the abuse in the world for the things I have done, but I refuse to take it for the things I have not.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it."

We reported last month that Fox and Ridley Scott are working on the Prometheus 2 script with an unidentified writer. As of now, nothing has been confirmed regarding where in the development process 20th Century Fox is with Prometheus 2, but stay tuned.

Prometheus 2 comes to theaters March 4th, 2016 and stars Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender. The film is directed by Ridley Scott.

1. Sean

@undeadslayer4 Oh, i see. If you saw that end of Prometheus, then you should know how it connects to the Alien movies.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

2. undeadslayer4

@themoviefanatic i didn't see the beginning but i did see the ending

1 year agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

3. Vanboy

Ruben R. Diaz : "I hope this means that we don't get a sequel. Prometheus was an awful insult to the Alien series (even worse than part 3 or 4). Where do you take a story that never went anywhere in the first place?" Poetic and true.

Although, Alien 3 for me is the hell spawn of any Alien movie ever. James Cameron hated it and I am with him on that. The director's Cut of Aliens was a masterpiece. Cameron crafted a movie that, from where we left off at the end of Alien might not have been much of an adventure and turned it into a story that saw Ripley conquer her demons in more ways than one, have her meet tragedy at the loss of her daughter and a renewed sense of living when she rescued Newt. And David Fincher flushed it all down the toilet.

1 year agoby @vanboyFlag

4. Vanboy

@Mutant, I agree. Should've stuck with just Alien. I hate that the Space Jockey is just a guy in a suit now. EVERYBODY knows, it never was. That was another unknown life form that was impregnated by a Face Hugger. Scott raped that great potential back story and I hate myself for getting sucked into it. The absolute number one thing, of many things in my life I wish I could "unsee"!

1 year agoby @vanboyFlag

5. Vanboy

@dorian Gray, that actually sounds plausible. I mean there's a Spiderman musical, right? Who would have seen that coming.

1 year agoby @vanboyFlag

6. Dorian Gray

@Michael-Kolesik At this point I think they'll keep beating both the Alien and Predator franchises into the ground until an AVP romcom starring Jenifer Aniston or Katherine Heigl is released.

1 year agoby @Dorian-Gray-87566191Flag

7. Dorian Gray

All I really want Lindelof to do is sit down for a good long interview and explain what he was thinking when he finished the Prometheus script. That's it. There are just too many unanswered questions and loose ends. What were they running from? What, exactly, is the black goo and specifically what does it do? Why were they coming for us? What the Hell was that thing at the end? And if his response is, "I don't really know. I thought I'd figure something out and explain it in the sequel," then it is okay with. Me.

1 year agoby @Dorian-Gray-87566191Flag

8. thedude-abides

@narrator Rofl! Well, it's good to see someone else other than myself putting it to use.

1 year agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

Lol, @thedude-abides. You seem to have forgotten, but you were the first person to have introduced me to the term. So all thanks is credited to you. :P

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

10. Josh

Sounds like a bullsh*t rumour started to stir up drama.

1 year agoby @shuabertFlag

11. Xenon

they should have just stuck with the alien concept instead of branching out.

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag

12. thedude-abides

@narrator Oh, and I agree.

1 year agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

13. thedude-abides

@narrator Glad to see someone else who knows what refrigerator logic is, lol.

1 year agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

14. Michael Kolesik

Just kill it with fire. If the original creator of Alien can't make a good movie, what hope do we have of ever getting a good one again? Let it die. Just let it die. You've already taken away the franchise's dignity. Can't you leave it at that?

1 year agoby @Michael-KolesikFlag

15. Sean

@undeadslayer4 You didn't see Prometheus or the end of Prometheus ?

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

16. CelluloidDreams

Let it go! Find peace!! "Prometheus" was like watching paint dry on the wall!! Over blown BS!! We don't need a Part 2!

1 year agoby @2movieguysFlag

17. undeadslayer4

i dont get how this connects to aliens and how they started planting all these eggs in people

1 year agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

The problem with Prometheus was it tried to be At the Mountains of Madness and failed. If Scott had simply aimed to make another horrifying and visually groundbreaking franchise that spun off from the Alien mythology, I'm sure it would have worked wonders on the genre, but it didn't. While I enjoyed it at the time, Prometheus won't be a film I'll be revisiting often and hardly at all if no sequel comes forth. It simply made you ask too many questions, provided you with too few answers, and unlike the case with Lost - where leaving certain things unanswered was acceptable - the film frustrated beyond belief when refrigerator logic kicked in.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

19. Ruben R. Diaz

1 year agoby @Ruben-R-DiazFlag

20. thedude-abides

First off, I don't buy that he "left them in the dust," because there are far better and more experienced writers in this world than Damon Lindelof, let's be clear about that. That said, this is what happens when people who think they know what they're doing get involved with someone else's hard work and try and take it upon themselves to "make it better." Now the franchise is apparently hamstrung because Lindelof and the execs wanted to turn what was, by all accounts, an already killer script into a trilogy, and Lindelof left them holding the bag.

If you were to ask me, and this is simply my opinion, Lindelof very quickly realized the differene between how easy it is to pencil in changes to the work somenoe else labored into existence, and that of creating that world yourself. When the time came for little Lindy to take the first step in creating that world, he realized he had no idea where to take it (for obvious reasons, namely because it was Spaiht's brainchild and not his), and booked the first train to splitsville.

1 year agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

21. Titon

@thedude-abides Exactly, now the franchise is in hiatus.

1 year agoby @TitonFlag

22. KevinsHorror27

ok, i just read this whole thing and i was like- 'wow! Damon Lindelof knows what he's talking about, but...'. you know. yeah he's a classy guy and all, but he was really siked about being a part of Ridley's 'Prometheus' production and etc, and yet he's complaining about not being a part of the (sequel)) just cuz he has too much projects??!.. oh c'mon!! for myself- as a screenwriter, i have four to five scripts completed and i wanna make em soon. but i'm not sitting there whining about having too much projects piling up on my desk. & if Damon Lindelof is reading this.. Stop Whining!! bro. being a part of ridley scott's film(s) or productions is amazing!! its an honor!.. i would trade your place for one day if i wanted to. trust me! hah!! so yahh that's my peace.

1 year agoby @kevinshorror27Flag

23. Joshua A Tecumseh

Who cares..The first one was a ok movie but don't care if they do another one

1 year agoby @Joshua-A-TecumsehFlag

24. Raoul Duke

Seems like a classy guy.

1 year agoby @raoulduke33Flag

While I'm not going to blame anyone, if Prometheus ends up without a satisfying sequel, that film will get severely downgraded by me.

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

I'm in full agreement with Lindelof. While I'm not as big a fan of him as I might have been prior to Prometheus, the dude did his best at the time, and the way he explains the circ*mstances surrounding his departure from the franchise sound far more realistic than anything else going around.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag