Creator Kevin Eastman Promises 'Ninja Turtles' Will Respect Longtime Fans

The co-creator of the original comic book reveals that the movie will have everything the fans want, and more.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles creator Kevin Eastman reveals the new movie will respect the fans
Platinum Dunes' Ninja Turtles movie is still in the fairly early stages, with only Megan Fox confirmed to star at this point. Kevin Eastman, who co-created the original comic books with Peter Laird, recently offered his thoughts about the upcoming live-action remake. Here's what he had to say, revealing that he believes Platinum Dunes will give the fans everything they want, and that the producers have learned from successful blockbusters like Marvel's The Avengers.

"One of the things that's awesome about the relationship I've had with Platinum Dunes and (producer) Michael Bay and Jonathan Liebesman and some of the producers, Scott Mednick and Galen Walker on the series, is that it's probably amusing to a lot of people what the press puts out there and what they say people behind the scenes really want to do with the movie, but [Platinum Dunes'] main goal is actually to make the best possible Turtles movie with respect to the fans and the core audience as possible.

We've learned from movies like Marvel's The Avengers, which to me was a superhero movie so good to me personally that I practically wept. It was perfect, you know what I mean? That's the stuff that I grew up on. Joss Whedon just knocked it out of the park, the whole team did, and that includes choreographing all the interlocking movies.

From everything that I've seen in the [Ninja Turtles] script and the development and everything they've asked my input on specifically, it's gonna be an awesome, familiar, solid Turtles movie. It'll have everything that fans are gonna want and then some.

Much like you look at what they're doing at Nickelodeon with the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles animated series, it's all based solidly on the Turtles foundation, but they've hit the reset button. They've taken it back to the first episode, with the Turtles first time above ground after many years of training with Master Splinter. They're making a Turtles origin that is firmly rooted in Turtles history, but a slight tweak here and a slight tweak there. It's been enjoyable and the IDW series is much the same, in that it's firmly rooted in Turtles history, but multiple Turtles universes."

Jonathan Liebesman is directing from a screenplay by Matt Holloway, Art Marcum, André Nemec, and Josh Appelbaum. It isn't known when production will get under way.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comes to theaters August 8th, 2014 and stars Megan Fox, William Fichtner, Will Arnett, Alan Ritchson, Jeremy Howard, Noel Fisher, Pete Ploszek, Danny Woodburn. The film is directed by Jonathan Liebesman.

1. Newtron

I love the original franchise as much as any other fan, but I constantly remind myself that this is a reboot. Newness should be expected, and therefore, being bumbed that Corey Feldman isn't involved is just, well, stupid.

1 year agoby @newtronFlag

2. Anthony

You've already disrespected us by having Michael Bay make the movie and putting Megan Fox in it. As a die-hard Turtles Fan, I will never watch this movie even if it was free

1 year agoby @Anthony-57108595Flag

3. Michael Kolesik

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU HONESTLY EXPECT US TO BELIEVE THAT?! XD

1 year agoby @Michael-KolesikFlag

4. SpeedyEric

Why am I not suprised that people are gonna talk negative about this news? Seriously, wait until a trailer is out, and THEN start your bitching.

1 year agoby @SpeedyEricFlag

5. cryhawks

This movie will suck I'm a giant Turtles fan & there has been nothing about this movie so far that says this will be good. Quit ruining my childhood memories M Bay

1 year agoby @cryhwksFlag

Its the "and more" part that worries me.

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag

7. Xenon

Sticks and stones - friend - sticks and stones

I don't believe a word of it.

Here's what's wrong: aliens, not teenage, M Bay

I think Jonathon is the right choice, it's Bay and his choices that put me off. Jonathon should have written, produced and directed this without Mike at the helm.

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag

8. Space101

Just the fact that Micheal Bay is on bored makes it doubtful...

1 year agoby @space101Flag

9. Monkeyiron 2.0

@Fry-3000 it's gonna be based in the new Nick show

1 year agoby @monkeyiron2-0Flag

10. Fry_3000

Hopefully be like the first comics, bit darker than the other (films). But suppose they'll be aiming for kids?

1 year agoby @Fry-3000Flag

The reason he keeps releasing these posts about how faithful the adaption will be is because he and others have a lot riding on this project. The man put his best foot forward, money aside, and he wants to at least get fans to the theaters to judge the product for themselves. Granted, these posts are getting annoying and anything he says can be taken with less than a grain of salt judging by the supposed changes being made, but I'd be lying if a small part of my didn't sympathize with the man. "Aliens, not mutants" fiasco aside, we really haven't received any negative news about this film... other than who is directing it (I still say Liebesman is a terrible choice). I feel like this project, while far from promising, is receiving a tad more heat than it deserves at such an early stage due to just Bay's and now Fox's involvement. I'm at least going to wait for a trailer to fully judge whether or no this'll have my money, but I won't bitch too hard about... well, nothing, until they give me a just reason to. I just want these annoying pity-posts to stop.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

12. The Real Goku

We will see. But I trust Kevin. He knows what this can do to the franchise. Even though I don't think he owns the ninja turtles anymore. I think he wants this movie to do well. And with the story and success of the new cartoon I feel the movie will do the same. At least I hope so

1 year agoby @therealGokuFlag

13. incmob

respect the fans then... DONT PUT MEGAN FOX IN THE FILM, and DONT MAKE IT ABOUT ALIENS

1 year agoby @incmobFlag

@diaigma Agreed. Money sways words so easily

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

15. Diaigma

Hmm. Similar things has been said about Prince of Persia, from the creator. You know, in order to reassure the fans. I'm not convinced :P

1 year agoby @diaigmaFlag

16. Gandoff

Ok. Casting of Fox as what looks to be April. Changes Mutant to Aliens origins. Removes Teenage from title. And that is just what I can remember at this time. And he says it will "Respect" long time fans? How? May we get a more en-depth reason, on these "tweaks" on Turtles foundation the movie will be? I am one who loves to watch a movie with out knowing every single plot point. I do not watch the "FIRST 10 Minutes" clips of movies posted cause it ruines the start of a movie for me. But, when it comes to something such as a HUGE childhood piece like TMNT, and looks like it is being raped for profits. I just want to know as much as I can to decide to support and watch, or boycott and be apart of the complain department...

1 year agoby @gandoffFlag

17. Roberto Mata

He talks a about The Avengers in a perfect way, the film is indeed a great superhero film, but the choreography in the fight scenes are not amazing, they could have done so much better, that's the only think that really bothered me about the movie, I hope they do a better job in the sequel.

1 year agoby @Roberto-MataFlag

18. the MovieGhost

To quote my good friend Bender, "Lies! Lies and slander!"

1 year agoby @the-movieghostFlag

19. Garret

Not filling me with confidence...

1 year agoby @garretbyrneFlag

20. ROFLitschristian

Movie's gonna blow!

1 year agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

21. Monkeyiron 2.0

Idk know what to say. He says stuff to calm me down but then two weeks later or two months later I recieve rather bad news on it....Idk what you guys think

1 year agoby @monkeyiron2-0Flag