'Cloverfield II' and an 'Alias' Movie Are Still Possible Says J.J. Abrams

The 'Star Wars' and 'Star Trek' Director reveals that 'Pacific Rim' may inspire his team to move forward on the long gestating 'Colverfield' sequel.
An Alias movie might still happen says J.J. Abrams
An Alias movie might still happen says J.J. Abrams
J.J. Abrams had a lot to say about Star Trek Into Darkness, Star Wars: Episode VII, and Star Trek 3 in his recent Playboy interview (Click Here! to read the entire chat}. But the director also revealed a couple of interesting tidbits about two other fan favorite entities that might become franchises in the near future.

An Alias movie, starring Jennifer Garner, has long been discussed amongst fans of the decades old TV series. J.J. Abrams doesn't rule this out, saying a big screen adaptation is still quite plausible.

"We discuss it. In the right circumstance and situation I would definitely be open to it."

The director then moved onto Cloverfield. Cloverfield II seemed like a forgone conclusion, and a sequel has been discussed ever since the original hit theaters in 2008. But five years later, its no closer to going into production than when it was first rumored to be in the works. J.J. thinks the upcoming release of Pacific Rim will actually inspire his team to move forward on this long-gestating idea for a follow-up.

"Part of me just wants to let it go, though we've had a couple of discussions about cool ways to do it. I'm looking forward to seeing Pacific Rim this summer. It feels like there are some really big monsters coming down the pike that could inspire something we do."

Cloverfield 2 is in development .

Sources: Playboy

1. TomServo

I've thought that if they ever did a sequel or sequels to Cloverfield, it should be other vantage points of the same event. Other people's recordings that were recovered, telling their own stories of survival (or not). Some of the unanswered questions could be answered from another point of view. Like maybe someone actually escaped Manahattan and caught the bombing on tape that presumably killed the creature for example. I think that would work better than actual "sequels" that continue the story. It would be an original concept too.

8 months agoby @TomServoFlag

2. Jessica Coombs

I really want Cloverfield 2 to happen, I must have the questions answered!!! Why was it there, where did it come from, where are the people who were taken? Why do they blow up when they are bitten? I must know! I will be so frustrated if it does not come out.

10 months agoby @Jessica-CoombsFlag

3. Ruben Gomes

I WANT CLOVERFIELD 2 NOW!

11 months agoby @Ruben-GomesFlag

4. Stacey Cline-Key

I'm all for a new series of Alias, but not as a movie. As far as Cloverfield goes . . . I don't think so.

12 months agoby @Stacey-Cline-KeyFlag

5. thedude-abides

Who the hell does this guy even think he is? Joss Whedon or something?

:p

12 months agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

6. Xenon

Loved Alias but as a film- no.
    Hated the concept of Cloverfield and it was too shaky for me.

12 months agoby @xenon56Flag

7. CoreyB

I thought Cloverfield was a great flick. Remember how the world was buzzing w/that teaser?! Great stuff. I'm a huge JJ Abrams fan and I also respect Matt Reeves I think the guy is turning out to be a stud. Cloverfield had so much mystery surrounding it and I think that when it came out it delivered. Yeah the shaky cam sucks nowadays, and yeah I hope they do it normal next time around, but you cant knock the film for what it pulled off w/only about a 25 million dollah budget. I'm all for a sequel...

12 months agoby @CoreyBFlag

8. Adamsandlerfggot69

I'd watch a Cloverfield sequel if they explain the origins and leave the hand held cameras at home. Otherwise no thanks.

12 months agoby @adamsandlerfggot69Flag

I'm up for a sequel

12 months agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

Don't really care about either.

12 months agoby @dan1Flag

Alias is one of my favorite shows of all time. However, the ending pretty much cleared everything up. Plus, I don't want it if all Bristows aren't accounted for, and they would have to do a lot of finessing to put one of them back together and make it believable. Unlike Veronica Mars, Alias's ending was pretty final. It's difficult to see them pulling it off.

12 months agoby @ejk1Flag

12. The Cryptkeeper: Resurrected

Just drop Cloverfield 2, no one cares about it anymore. The rest I'm indifferent about.

12 months agoby @cryptFlag

13. moviegeek

I'm interested in neither.

12 months agoby @moviegeekFlag

14. Bane5000

If they do a Cloverfield sequel i just suggest one thing...Explain WTH the monster is and how it came to be...

12 months agoby @bane5000Flag

15. Gandoff

JJ needs to realize his plate is full for the next 10 years alone. Star Wars and Star Trek will leave him not time to do these projects. Cloverfield was cool, but would have been better if less handycam feel for me. Would not mind seeing a part 2, but be less a Cloverfield movie and more in line to be like Godzilla. Never watched Alias. But the idea and look of what the previews on tv for the show was, looked cool. Just had other things on to watch at that time.

12 months agoby @gandoffFlag

16. Trangalanga10

If done right i'll say yes to the Alias film

12 months agoby @Trangalanga10Flag

17. Trangalanga10

@emmyhasagun Agreed, first one was awful, if there is a sequel, it should be a stand alone film focusing on the origins of the creature with a more realistic and serious tone.

12 months agoby @Trangalanga10Flag

And I was talking about Alias there...I could care less about Cloverfield sequel.

12 months agoby @skywiseFlag

If its done right I could prolly get behind this.

12 months agoby @skywiseFlag

20. Emmy has a Gun

If they made a cloverfield sequel, I'd hope they would just do traditional movie and not found footage style. The shakiness of the camera in the first was unrealistic and forced at times. And I wouldn't mind learning more about the monster since it was stated the one in the first wasn't even an adult.

12 months agoby @emmyhasagunFlag

21. Trangalanga10

Didn't like Cloverfield at all, it gave me a headache, good CGI though.

12 months agoby @Trangalanga10Flag