Clark Gregg Talks 'The Avengers'

The actor also discusses his new directorial project 'Trust Me' on the set of 'The To-Do List'.
Clark Gregg discusses The Avengers
Clark Gregg discusses The Avengers
I recently had the privilege to visit the set of The To-Do List, and one of the actors we were able to speak with is Clark Gregg. The actor is quite busy lately, since he just flew back to L.A. from the Albuquerque set of The Avengers, where he plays S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Agent Coulson. He couldn't say much about the project, although he sung the praises of director Joss Whedon.

"I was in Albuquerque two days ago. There's almost nothing I can say, except that it's the funnest ensemble movie in the history of the planet, and that Joss Whedon is God."

He also talked about life on the set, and how strange it is to be surrounded by all of these superheroes every day.

"You know, it's kind of bizarre to be in a comic book movie and a superhero movie, and to look across and... first of all, to try and have a serious conversation with a bunch of people with giant muscles, some real, some not, in neoprene, and they look very much like the people you've been reading in comics. It's hard to keep a straight face. On the other hand, to see those people and have it be Robert Downey Jr. or Samuel L. Jackson, a lot of Academy Award nominations out there, that's kind of remarkable. Unfortunately, a lot of times, very few of us were there at the same time. There was one or two weekends, when everybody was there, and there were some hilarious 'Avengers assemble' texts that went out, with the location of Avengers assemble being some very rowdy Albuquerque nightclubs. The English actor, Tom Hiddleston, who plays Loki, his line was, (in a fake English accent) 'I went to this marvelous place called Chilli's.'"

Clark Gregg revealed that he has wrapped filming on The Avengers' Albuquerque shoot, although he is returning for more shooting when they start production in Ohio. He also hinted that he might be down in San Diego this week for Comic-Con.

"You're talking about the Con. There may be a S.H.I.E.L.D. presence at the Con."

He also talked about the possibility of an Agent Coulson spin-off movie.

"You know, I certainly think it's a great idea. I'm just trying to get the Marvel guys as excited about it as I am. They seem to be weirdly more open to it. There's more talk about seeing Agent Coulson in some other mediums, lately, and I'm open to the idea."

The actor also talked about a new project he wrote and will be directing this fall entitled Trust Me, and another movie he's writing for Fox Searchlight and producer Curtis Hanson.

"I've been writing a project for Curtis Hanson at Fox Searchlight, just as a job, because I want to work with him. It seems to be going pretty well. I wrote a little movie called Trust Me, that I think we have financing for. I think it will be a lot of the same crew (as The To-Do List) if I can talk them into it. That will shoot in L.A. in October."

Clark Gregg also said he'll be acting in one of the main roles in Trust Me and joked that he may have a lot of other jobs on the set as well.

"I'm going to do a lot of jobs. I'm going to be doing hair and makeup. I'm going to be acting in one of the main roles. At this rate, probably. I will be making sandwiches, trying to learn my lines."

It seems that casting hasn't quite begun yet for Trust Me, although he may try to lure in a few of The Avengers for his new movie. Here's what he had to say below about calling in favors from other actors to be in a small-budget movie like Trust Me.

"It's a much bigger favor if they don't respond to the script, you know. 'Can you do this thing that you may be lukewarm about?' is a much tougher phone call. It's already a tough phone call, because they're going to be working on a budget like this, and be in a trailer that's the size of the commode in their normal trailer. Luckily, the script turned out pretty well, and my friends seem to be signing up to come be a part of it. I may work on an Avenger or two to show up. 'If you like this big movie...'"

Marvel's The Avengers was released May 4th, 2012 and stars Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner, Tom Hiddleston, Clark Gregg. The film is directed by Joss Whedon.

Sources: Brian Gallagher

1. MovieManiac

@insertusernamehere Better than nothing.

3 years agoby @moviemaniac66Flag

2. T.Clark

The bootleg trailer was really sh*t quality.

3 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

3. BERSERKER

A S.H.I.E.L.D movie would be cool, and maybe we can see a Giant-Man and Wasp cameo at the end of the movie.

3 years agoby @Number1WolverineFlag

I don't care if Avengers is in 3D or not. 3D, while it looks nice sometimes, is not a requirement for me to enjoy a film. That's it, really.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

I think that is pretty cool that he not only has a very cool character to play but also does work behind the screen as well. He seems very humble about it all.

3 years agoby @skywiseFlag

6. Jay.A.Ottley

yeah but let's break some box office record while making that cash, don't you agree @ghostman

Looks like 2012 is shaping up to be the year of Marvel, Snow White and the Crackheads of Oz but the question remains ....Will The Dark Knight Rises up to the competiton for the war of 2012

3 years agoby @jayaottleyFlag

7. Ghostman

@jayaottley well I'm sure they know that even without the 3D, it'll still rake in a crap-load of cash

3 years agoby @ghostmanFlag

8. Jay.A.Ottley

oooo and thumbs up to The Amazing Spiderman Teaser trailer.... it looks completely amazing, definately one to see next year, and signing off the death certificate to Raimi's trilogy ;)

3 years agoby @jayaottleyFlag

9. Jay.A.Ottley

@ghostman .... good point, i actually never thought of that and also this being in 3D would not only be the ultimate badassery on film it would rake in big monies...

So why isn't it in 3D?

I mean look at all the superheroes in it and plus the A-list cast, also its a film that super comics nerds have dreamed about.

3 years agoby @jayaottleyFlag

10. Ghostman

@jayaottley which is weird considering how both Thor and Captain America are in 3D.

3 years agoby @ghostmanFlag

11. Jay.A.Ottley

I'm actually disappointed that this film actually isn't in 3D, would look so bad ass....Just seeing Hawkeye's arrow, Thor's hammer and Cap's shield flying at the screen would be badassery to the max, to make Captain America throw his shield at a wizard lol

3 years agoby @jayaottleyFlag

12. Monkeyiron 2.0

@bewnian-dexeus @insertusernamehere and @ejk1 the trailer 4 the avengers has leaked!!!!!

3 years agoby @Monkey-ironFlag

@jayaottley Let leave Potter alone. No need to compare anymore.

14. Jay.A.Ottley

it was pretty awesome had its cheesy moments but it ruled, full review will be up tomorrow courtesy of the Shield Division...

Sleeveless Thor is more awesome but what even more badass.... Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye

3 years agoby @jayaottleyFlag

15. ChiRep_1

@jayaottley Yeah this amount of epicness deserves to be seen in full resolution. What did you think of Captain America btw??

3 years agoby @ChiRep-1Flag

16. Bane5000

@jayaottley ...I bet the teaser looked waaaaaay better on the big screen then the damn bootlegs that are out for the moment, but i got one question for u...

Sleeveless Thor, less awesome or even more awesome? :]

3 years agoby @bane5000Flag

17. Jay.A.Ottley

Any takers that Avengers will destroy Harry Potter's record?

3 years agoby @jayaottleyFlag

@bane5000 Go to any other forum that has a long list of tagged people, copy paste em to your forum and post

19. Jay.A.Ottley

DAMN I JUST SAW CAPTAIN AMERICA.... AND THE CREDIT SCENE IS THE TRAILER TO AVENGERS.... WOAH IT WAS EXCELLENT

3 years agoby @jayaottleyFlag

@bane5000 Go to the avengers film on this side at create a forum for it if you want, then tag everyone you want

21. Bane5000

@bawnian-dexeus...I was surprised to, looks like they filmed just enough for a teaser, cant wait to see the full on trailer, probably in a few months

@thrashnasty190...awesome indeed buddy, i want to post an article on here but dont know how, so im just pasting the link in other articles to spread the word LOL

3 years agoby @bane5000Flag

22. thrashnasty190

@bane5000 Just saw it on CBM ya beat me to it!! Nonetheless it was freakin awesome!

3 years agoby @thrashnasty190Flag

@bane5000 WOAH! I'm surprised they got so much done in a short amount of time

24. Bane5000

HERES THE LINK TO THE BOOTLEG AVENGERS TEASER...NO THIS IS NOT A JOK PEOPLE, CHECK IT OUT...

3 years agoby @bane5000Flag

25. Dr.Carter

A low quality version of The Avengers is online. Hurry and get to Comicbookmovie.com!!! See the the hi def trailer at the end of Captain America on Friday.

3 years agoby @dr-carterFlag

For a second I thought he said "Funniest"

@narrator Unless it was like a short or something in front of a full length movie. They had an article over at cbm.com recently about Marvel considering that a while back. I'd be alright with that.

Oh, and Fillion/Baccarin for Ant-Man/Wasp. At least those are my choices.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

Sounds great. However, I don't like the thought of a Coulson only movie, especially not when ant-Man and The Wasp have yet to get their fair share of solo screen time.

3 years agoby @narratorFlag