Clark Gregg Confirmed to Return as Agent Coulson on 'Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D.' TV Series!

The actor makes the announcement alongside Josh Whedon at NYCC 2012, confirming that Joss Whedon will co-write the pilot episode.
NYCC 2012 brought forth some great news for fans of Clark Gregg and his character Agent Coulson, who (SPOLIER! for the 4.3 of you who have yet to see the movie) seemingly died in Marvel's The Avengers. Marvel confirms that the actor will reprise the much beloved role for Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D., the new Marvel TV series set to air on ABC.

Clark Gregg as Agent Coulson Photo

Clark Gregg made a surprise appearance at NYCC 2012 to talk about his role as Principal Coulson on Ultimate Spider-Man, and it was here that he broke the news in person, presenting a special video message from Marvel's Joss Whedon and Kevin Feige. It was also confirmed that Joss Whedon will be co-writing the pilot with Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen.

What was not confirmed was the timeline of Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D. TV series. It is not known if it will take place in the past, before Coulson's untimely death and the formation of The Avengers, or if it is taking place in the ongoing Marvel timeline, and is set to reveal in the pilot that Agent Coulson's so-called death was a ruse by Nick Fury to motivate his squabbling team of heroes (which has been speculated upon since the film's release this past summer). It is quite possible that we willl hear that Samuel L. Jackson is joining the ABC series in some capacity as well in the very near future.

Marvel's The Avengers was released May 4th, 2012 and stars Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner, Tom Hiddleston, Clark Gregg. The film is directed by Joss Whedon.

1. Corey W.

Oh nice. Great news. Would be cool to have the first few seasons take place before The Avengers, then the last few to take place after. We could see the characters grieve through Coulson's death on the series.

1 year agoby @coreyFlag

2. THE JOKER

Awesome!

1 year agoby @mcleve02Flag

3. Ghostman

Yes! Prequel series!

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

4. Nicholaus XX

An unneeded television series, and a stiff actor to go with it. Great!

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

5. fanboy

Im excited for this! It will just be interesting to see how they do this? Prequel to The Avengers im guessing

2 years agoby @fanboyFlag

6. Xenon

I'll watch it, though the deaths in the Marvel Universe never felt right to me. I keep expecting mutants or superheroes to come back after a certain amount of time.
    It's going to happen in X-Men 4 as well, Patrick has agreed to come back.

2 years agoby @xenon56Flag

7. Rudy

I hope ABC doesn't f*ck it up by making it too kid friendly or too dumbed down. Or too (aw Black Widow didn't want to go out with me...")

2 years agoby @rudyFlag

8. Rudy

For the 4.3 of you? I think the writer forgot the % sign after that.

2 years agoby @rudyFlag

9. SpaceCowboy

Definitely watching this now!

2 years agoby @SpaceCowboyFlag

10. Josh

This is great news no matter how it's spun. Personally, I would prefer them just set it in the past, so they can tell their own stories without having to tie in with what's going on in the movies, and without having to come up with some silly way to retcon Coulson.

2 years agoby @shuabertFlag

@john-m I prefer the normal reality in Marvel but that is because I have years of my life invested in it. The Ultimates is good for newer readers and like you said, it seems to take the character deaths more seriously which is something they intended to do from the beginning.

Yes, its hard to believe but its true. She REALLY knows how to die.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

12. John M

@skywise: Are you serious. She's died and come back 14 times. I swear Marvel is slowly destroying any meaning they give to their comics.

At least in the Ultimate universe which I now prefer they hardly ever bring characters back to life. In that universe once your dead your dead.

2 years agoby @john-mFlag

13. LuxoIII

I bet this will be a prequel series. It could be about S.H.I.E.L.D. agents who travel the globe fighting threats that are constantly building up. By the end of the show, the organization will realize that some threats are just too big for them to handle, so they decide to recruit The Avengers, leading into the movie series.

2 years agoby @brady1138Flag

Agent Coulson lives!

@john-m hahahah That Jean Grey is the most dying X Men is even something of a running (wink wink) joke in the book itself. But alas you are very short on Jean Grey Deaths. The total number is 14. Yep that is 14 deaths for Jean Grey.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

15. SherlockHolmes2009

This may work, possibly he did live but Fury lying to get the Avengers to work together

2 years agoby @SherlockHolmes2009Flag

16. Dark-White-Knight

@john-m thnx for that info.much appreciated.

2 years agoby @Dark-White-KnightFlag

17. John M

@Dark-White-Knight: There are just so many. There are dozens of examples in DC and Marvel comics. It's one of the reasons I stopped buying comics. One example is Collossus of the X-Men who died of the Legacy Virus, and then miraculously a few years later he was brought back to life by using some lame excuse of someone stealing his dead body. Another example is Jean Grey. I think she's died something like three times and has come back to life each time. The biggest example is Superman. He was killed by Doomsday, and the writers decided to create this ridiculous story line of creating all these other supermen and then bring back superman. Death means nothing in comics and in my opinion detrimental to the story lines. All you have to do is look on line and you can find many examples of how meaningless death is in the two major comic companies. I could go on a tangent on how bad that is for comics, but I won't that would take to much time and space here.

2 years agoby @john-mFlag

18. Dark-White-Knight

@john-m I'm assuming the general audience who don't read comics would take comprehend that suggestion...besides how creative would they be to resurrect agent coulson, do u know how they resurrect the dead in the comics, cuz I'm truly curious

2 years agoby @Dark-White-KnightFlag

19. Joshua Hollaway

This show will fail...and who cares? he isn't doing anything else.

2 years agoby @Joshua-HollawayFlag

@john-m Assuming the creative team actually taps that element

21. John M

@Dark-White-Knight: Dude have you read any comics. They bring people back to life all the time. Whether that is a good thing or not is another thing all together. I'm sure they could do it in the movie world as well.

2 years agoby @john-mFlag

22. Dark-White-Knight

How can his death be fakes if he was stabbed in the back, that seemed to strike the heart

2 years agoby @Dark-White-KnightFlag

23. John M

I could see how Fury would secretly get him medical help and then tell the Avengers he had died. Fury does work for the government after all. Sure he's technically a good guy, but he done a lot of questionable things in the comics and the film in the name of god and country.

2 years agoby @john-mFlag

Faked death, or takes place before and during the phase one timeline.