Christopher Nolan Wanted for 'Blade Runner' Sequel or Prequel

Producer Andrew Kosove is also open to having original director Ridley Scott come back to helm the continuation of this iconic sci-fi classic.
Christopher Nolan wanted to direct Blade Runner sequel
Christopher Nolan wanted to direct Blade Runner sequel
It was announced on Wednesday that Warner Bros. is planning to make both prequels and sequels to director Ridley Scott's epic sci-fi masterpiece Blade Runner, with Broderick Johnson and Andrew A. Kosove overseeing the project for Alcon Entertainment.

Yesterday, new story details arrived. Knowing that Blade Runner's fanbase, and sci-fi aficionados in general, would be up in arms about continuing on with Blade Runner as a franchise, both Broderick Johnson and Andrew A. Kosove have taken the high road in explaining their intentions.

Today, Andrew A. Kosove came out to say those words most likely to get film buffs and remake haters on his side: He wants The Dark Knight Rises director and beloved fanboy auteur Christopher Nolan to helm his continuation of the Blade Runner saga.

"Our friend Christopher Nolan who we did Insomnia [with] would be the pie in the sky for us. To be clear I think what Christopher Nolan did - and to be clear, we cannot remake Blade Runner. As a legal matter, we have not bought the remake rights we have no interest in remaking it we can only do prequels or sequels. But I think the methodology that Christopher Nolan brought to Batman is precisely what we aspire to whomever the filmmaker is, whether Ridley Scott comes back and joins us or it's someone else. It's precisely what we aspire to with Blade Runner, that's the template for us."

Andrew A. Kosove also talked more about reaching out to Ridley Scott in terms of his directing a sequel to Blade Runner.

"The answer to that question is as follows. I'm going to answer it very briefly - we won't say if we've reached out to Ridley Scott or not, but what we will say is that Ridley Scott's blessing to what we're doing is very important to Alcon. It's important to Bud Yorkin, and certainly we have the greatest degree of respect to him as a filmmaker. He's one of the greatest living directors and one of the greatest directors of all time. So of course he's very important."

To read more about the proposed Blade Runner prequels and sequels, Click Here!

Blade Runner was released June 25th, 1982 and stars Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Sean Young, Edward James Olmos, M. Emmet Walsh, Daryl Hannah, William Sanderson, Brion James. The film is directed by Ridley Scott.

Sources: io9

1. RojoDiablo

Blade Runner is a top five favorite of mine and as much as I admire Nolan I just don't want to see anyone else direct a sequel or prequel to the awesome film other than Ridley Scott! I'd much rather him be working on this over the biopics already mentioned on here.

3 years agoby @rojodiabloFlag

2. Vanboy

And I like the happy ending, who doesn't? Especially is you're getting a massage. LOL!

3 years agoby @vanboyFlag

3. Mark Cooper

facebook(.)com/pages/Stop-The-Blade-Runner-Sequel/186744051361263

3 years agoby @Mark-CooperFlag

@Lautarous Fantastically broken down, sir. It's like you read my thoughts and put them to keyboard.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

5. Lautarous

@dan1, I'm with you. "The Matrix" (another film that is considered to be influenced in some ways by "Blade Runner") was a great stand alone movie. But then they bring us two flaccid and pretentiously philosophical sequels. I really hated the lack of self-criticism of the makers. I even remember that producer Joey Silver said marvels about the achievement of duplicate Agent Smith, when in fact that CGI's work was one of the lowest points (in "The Matrix Reloaded").

I could be wrong, but I have the impression that today still isn't possible to make an actor look younger in a photo realistic way. A few examples of this are "X-Men: The Last Stand" (2006), "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (2008) and "TRON: Legacy" (2010). Imagine a prequel or sequel with Harrison Ford's face looking as good as manikin face! In any case, I'm against the use of Deckard, Rachael or Roy Batty for any future prequel or sequel.

@vanboy, the voice-over narration was considered in a previous stage of the script. When Harrison read that script suggested that the voice over could be replaced by some actions of Deckard to look as a detective who was really detecting. The purpose was that audiences were discovering at the same time Deckard was doing it. Ridley Scott agreed. There is no need to explain with dialogue when the image is sufficient. The only reason that the voice-over exist in "Blade Runner: International Theatrical Cut" (1982) is because producers Bud Yorkin and Jerry Perenchio thought that it was necessary. This time the voice-over narration didn't involve Scott or any of the original writers. Yorkin and Perenchio are also responsible of imposing the infamous "happy ending" to the film, a sequence that was never considered in the script or the novel.

3 years agoby @LautarousFlag

6. Vanboy

Nah, the gumshoe narration gave you an insight into Deckard's thoughts. Without them, you have to try to figure what the hell he was looking at int at photo. It was filmed with the narrations in mind. Without them it clearly shows that something is missing. All of the quietness as Deckard snoops around. With it, it reminded me of the old gumshoe Bogey films.

3 years agoby @vanboyFlag

7. Vanboy

Actually it just hit me; maybe Matt Damon, Channing Tatum, Bradley Cooper, Christian Bale or Chris Evans.

3 years agoby @vanboyFlag

I hated the droning narration. I loved that they pretty much dropped that.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

9. Vanboy

Well, we can't claim LS yet, because the movie hasn't been made. Let's see if it loses the original feel, then we can call it LS.

I agree with Worthington not shining as brightly as he did when he first came into view, but he does have the look. I don't know who else would play the part and have the look that HF did in the original. I really hope they bring back the narration. That was sooooo much better than the nearly zero dialog.

3 years agoby @vanboyFlag

10. bud2fresh

Sounds like Lucas Syndrome lol

3 years agoby @bud2freshFlag

@vanboy If they actually go forward with this and use Sam Worthington (who I'm now convinced is not nearly as good as some people made him out to be), it will be a travesty and slap in the face of the original of epic proportions. And a CGI'd version of Harrison Ford would look...nah, let's not even go there lol.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

12. Jay.A.Ottley

Right here is the bad parts.

#Nolan has already stated what his next project will be after batman and well it's extremely hard to changed his mind unless it benefits him.

#Scott is well obviously busy and jam packed with the Alien prequels, so I actually don't see how this will work, Ridley Scott as producer, maybe

3 years agoby @jayaottleyFlag

13. Jay.A.Ottley

Hahahahahahahahaha, SORRY THIS IS THE FUNNIEST NEWS EVER....

Do you think Christopher Nolan will do a prequel or sequel to his favourite Sci-Fi film?

A film he considers near to perfection for its day and age, this is funny...

3 years agoby @jayaottleyFlag

14. The Dark Knight

Go for it if its a good script

3 years agoby @thedarkknight23Flag

15. Worth5Bucks

no! chris, if you respect this movie, leave it at peace, to be one of the top scifi films of all time.

3 years agoby @mattbierwagenFlag

16. Vanboy

If they go with a sequel, they should go with the story from the book Blade Runner 2; The Edge of Human, where he meets Sarah Tyrell, the Human version of Rachael. Of course they'll probably chop out all of the in depth story cool stuff.

As for a prequel, I don't know.

Even if he's used in everything, I think Sam Worthington would be great as the new Rick Deckard. Harrison Ford is just too old now. But who knows, with a little CGI, maybe they could make him look young and fresh again. He really need to chunk up a bit more. He was narrow in Bastardized Indiana Jones and Kingdom of the Crystal Lucas Alien Flop.

3 years agoby @vanboyFlag

17. Tha Phoenix

The only way I'd ever be interested in this film is if GODopher Nolan was involved. But that's about as likely as Indy 5 being better than KOTCS, so...

*sips Martini*

3 years agoby @thaphoenixFlag

@c-a-r-t-m-a-n I disagree. A lot of movies can be called overrated, and I would wholeheartedly agree (everyone here knows I throw that word around enough), but Blade Runner deserves every bit of praise it gets. Every shot in it is stunning, the performances are near perfect and memorable (especially Hauer, he was LOONEY), just a spectacularly good science fiction movie. I've seen it numerous times and pick up on new details each time.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

19. ridgl

Neeeeeeeeeeeeever gonna happen.

3 years agoby @ridglFlag

20. Josh

But...but...if #RidleyScott or #ChristopherNolan do this that means I'll have to be interested in it :(

3 years agoby @shuabertFlag

21. Xenon

we'll be getting a sequel or prequel if we want it or not

3 years agoby @xenon56Flag

22. hasido

I would love to see a prequel to this movie if done right, but not a sequel. I wonder who could play Deckard.

3 years agoby @hasidoFlag

23. Cartman

Personally Blade Runner is a super overrated movie. I wish Nolan declines this offer straight away. Nolan is the most powerful and intelligent director in Hollywood and why someone like him wants to do a sequel or a prequel(apart from his own movies) or a reboot? He can come up with something new that no one has ever witnessed before and he has his own path - which all his fans love...

3 years agoby @c-a-r-t-m-a-nFlag

24. SpideR-OnE

I think the movie will be make anyway, because hollywood is ran out of new good ideas only left remakes, prequels and reboots of movies which we have already seen. So better to give Blade Runner to Nolan or J.J. Abrams and give him free hand to make his one vision. Not PG-13.

3 years agoby @spider-oneFlag

25. Funkster

I hope Nolan turns this offer done; we don't need this movie.

3 years agoby @funksterFlag

26. bruce_ha

Can't they leave this alone? There is no need for Sequel or prequel. Just create something similar but don't use this franchise.

3 years agoby @bruce-haFlag

27. The King of Thorns

Agreed @dan1. Blade Runner does not need any installments, be they sequels or prequels, period. I don't care who's attached.

@insertusernamehere, that's a bummer. With more patience, you'd learn that the film was a technically creative and dark wonder for it's time, and it stills holds up to this day as one of the best sci-fi films to ever grace the silver screen.

3 years agoby @rexspinasFlag

28. SonOfOne41

I don't know if Christopher Nolan is the smart choice here.Hes an incredible Director,but Nolan never does any of his movies with special effects. I think Zack Snyder might be a good call.

3 years agoby @SonOfOne41Flag

I don't feel silly about anything I said previously. Nolan should pursue more original ideas then tying himself to the milking of a movie that deserves to be left alone. I hope he declines and does his own SciFi original again like Inception.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

30. Fry_3000

dont think nolan would be right for this though. id like to see zack snyder have a go with atleast the prequel and if possibel(doubt it seeing he's doing the alian stuff now) but ridley for the sequel.

3 years agoby @Fry-3000Flag