Christopher Nolan Says Goodbye to the Batman Franchise

The director wrote a foreword to The Art and Making of 'The Dark Knight' Trilogy book, which was released the same day the movie premiered.
Christopher Nolan Says Goodbye to Batman Franchise
Christopher Nolan Says Goodbye to Batman Franchise
The Dark Knight Rises director Christopher Nolan contributed the foreword to a book featuring his trilogy's art titled "The Art and Making of The Dark Knight Trilogy," which was released the same day of the premiere.

You can read the text from the foreword below.

"Alfred. Gordon. Lucius. Bruce . . . Wayne. Names that have come to mean so much to me. Today, I'm three weeks from saying a final good-bye to these characters and their world. It's my son's ninth birthday. He was born as the Tumbler was being glued together in my garage from random parts of model kits. Much time, many changes. A shift from sets where some gunplay or a helicopter were extraordinary events to working days where crowds of extras, building demolitions, or mayhem thousands of feet in the air have become familiar.

People ask if we'd always planned a trilogy. This is like being asked whether you had planned on growing up, getting married, having kids. The answer is complicated. When David and I first started cracking open Bruce's story, we flirted with what might come after, then backed away, not wanting to look too deep into the future. I didn't want to know everything that Bruce couldn't; I wanted to live it with him. I told David and Jonah to put everything they knew into each film as we made it. The entire cast and crew put all they had into the first film. Nothing held back. Nothing saved for next time. They built an entire city. Then Christian and Michael and Gary and Morgan and Liam and Cillian started living in it. Christian bit off a big chunk of Bruce Wayne's life and made it utterly compelling. He took us into a pop icon's mind and never let us notice for an instant the fanciful nature of Bruce's methods.

I never thought we'd do a second-how many good sequels are there? Why roll those dice? But once I knew where it would take Bruce, and when I started to see glimpses of the antagonist, it became essential. We re-assembled the team and went back to Gotham. It had changed in three years. Bigger. More real. More modern. And a new force of chaos was coming to the fore. The ultimate scary clown, as brought to terrifying life by Heath. We'd held nothing back, but there were things we hadn't been able to do the first time out-a Batsuit with a flexible neck, shooting on Imax. And things we'd chickened out on-destroying the Batmobile, burning up the villain's blood money to show a complete disregard for conventional motivation. We took the supposed security of a sequel as license to throw caution to the wind and headed for the darkest corners of Gotham.

I never thought we'd do a third-are there any great second sequels? But I kept wondering about the end of Bruce's journey, and once David and I discovered it, I had to see it for myself. We had come back to what we had barely dared whisper about in those first days in my garage. We had been making a trilogy. I called everyone back together for another tour of Gotham. Four years later, it was still there. It even seemed a little cleaner, a little more polished. Wayne Manor had been rebuilt. Familiar faces were back-a little older, a little wiser . . . but not all was as it seemed.

Gotham was rotting away at its foundations. A new evil bubbling up from beneath. Bruce had thought Batman was not needed anymore, but Bruce was wrong, just as I had been wrong. The Batman had to come back. I suppose he always will.

Michael, Morgan, Gary, Cillian, Liam, Heath, Christian Bale. Names that have come to mean so much to me. My time in Gotham, looking after one of the greatest and most enduring figures in pop culture, has been the most challenging and rewarding experience a filmmaker could hope for. I will miss the Batman. I like to think that he'll miss me, but he's never been particularly sentimental."

The Dark Knight Rises was released July 20th, 2012 and stars Tom Hardy, Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway, Liam Neeson, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Gary Oldman, Marion Cotillard, Morgan Freeman. The film is directed by Christopher Nolan.

Sources: The Art and Making of The Dark Knight Trilogy

1. THE JOKER

@twistedsmile ahhh the old days! I do miss it sometimes... I have a few people who will occasionally challenge for a duel... Some create forums just for it! You just have to keep your eyes open! The big 2 I have had recently is over the Turtles show, there is forum for it and people blaming the Batman films for the shootings in Colorado...

2. Twisted Smile

@mcleve02 See, that stuff was fun and I liked making them realize their arguing errors through humor which was always a good time for me lol!

2 years agoby @twistedsmileFlag

3. THE JOKER

@twistedsmile that's fine, and if you recall from back in the day, we tore them up just fine!!! I'm sure now that people like you from our old clan are getting back on, we can tear any new morons apart too!

4. Twisted Smile

@mcleve02 Yeah it seems a bit more calm now lol! Just wait though, those loud users will come back eventually lol!

2 years agoby @twistedsmileFlag

5. THE JOKER

@twistedsmile Yeah, it got to a point where there were just way too many unintelligent people on here who would just voice their opinions in the most provocative way possible, well @marcusx and I were both pretty guilty of that in our day! But they have made this a lot better! People still rgue, but its very intelligible!

6. Twisted Smile

@mcleve02 I think a lot of users took off about the same time and it kind of got slow...dead slow on here. I just decided to jump back on a bother @narrator because he enjoys it so much lol!

2 years agoby @twistedsmileFlag

7. THE JOKER

@twistedsmile I'm game! It was weird when I first got back on! A lot of people changed their user names! I had to go through old streams like the Bryan Singer Man of Steel thread to figure out anyone! At least I didn't change my name! :P and @narrator even recommended I get my old Avatar back!

8. Twisted Smile

@narrator@mcleve02 Yeah, it's good to see that everyone seems to either be sticking around or coming back. I am looking forward to talking to all you guys and catching up.

2 years agoby @twistedsmileFlag

9. THE JOKER

@narrator It's also nice we have all gotten back on again!

10. THE JOKER

@twistedsmile same old fella! glad to see you're no different... So far I haven't gotten into any cuss matches with my clan of @marcusx and @insertnameusernamehere but other than that, I think were all the same people!

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

Haha, @twistedsmile. Nice to see your humor and taste is still in check! Looking forward to conversing with you more often in the coming days, my man.

2 years agoby @narratorFlag

12. Twisted Smile

@narrator@mcleve02 Fellas! I have been trying to get things going and yes, I do still love that black bird. I jumped on to see if anyone was still going and it looks like you guys are. I will be bothering everybody more often until something pops up. So the good news is the jokes are about to become more abundant. The bad news is...is that I am telling them HA!

2 years agoby @twistedsmileFlag

13. THE JOKER

@twistedsmile as @narrator said, I'm back! I'm trying to get some of the others back as well!

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

Dude, @twistedsmile! Wassup, man?! Where've you been? How is your art work coming along? And do you still love The Crow?

*superstitiously checks if Twisted is who he says he is*

Lol. Joker just came back, and Diaigma and a bunch of us are still here, bro. Where have you been?

2 years agoby @narratorFlag

15. THE JOKER

@bawnian-dexeus That would be really cool!

16. Twisted Smile

@narrator DUDE! Where are all my buddies?

2 years agoby @twistedsmileFlag

I would love to see a biopic made by Nolan. See how deep and personal he can get with the lead character

18. THE JOKER

@slysnide I agree.. I was thinking the beginning of December

@mcleve02 Well, I can, I just write it like everyone else

20. THE JOKER

@bawnian-dexeus I don't think any of us can!

21. slysnide

@mcleve02: I'm eyeing December 11th. It'd be the same week as the "TDK" bluray and give time for Xmas shoppers to snag their copies. Of course I'd be picking mine up on day one. Now I just hope it comes in a steel book so I can have a complete steel book bluray trilogy.

2 years agoby @slysnideFlag

22. THE JOKER

@slysnide I'm sure it will release right before Christmas... That's when all the Batman movies seem to come out!

23. slysnide

@mcleve02@the-movieghost: We should probably be getting bluray details this September as it was for "TDK." Apart from the 'focus points' that this'll probably have, I look forward to whichever doc*mentaries will make the second disc.

2 years agoby @slysnideFlag

24. THE JOKER

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx No, he changed his name to something else and then tried to coninue... But you see we were harsh... there were worse ones, buts that easiest to find since it is on one of the main pages still! haha

25. Nicholaus XX

@mcleve02 -- Ha ha, indeed. Any way, I scanned through the first 5 or 6 pages, and it seemed like it ended(based on something you said).

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

26. THE JOKER

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx Haha I'm all over the place on this site! I'm holding my spot firmly! Seriously read... "Let's Put a Smile on that Face!!!" But you will seriously laugh... clean up until @err2005 comes in!

27. Nicholaus XX

@mcleve02 -- I've got some reading to do..

Any way, you should definitely rate TV shows, episodes, movies, and videos -- it would greatly help if you wanted to maintain your spot as most active user of the day.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag