Christian Bale Eyeing 'The Dark Tower' as Roland Deschain?

'The Dark Knight Rises' star is the front-runner to portray this roaming adventurer in Ron Howard's adaptation of Stephen King's novel series.
Christian Bale to star in Ron Howard's The Dark Tower?
Christian Bale to star in Ron Howard's The Dark Tower?
Actor Christian Bale could be moving from The Dark Knight Rises immediately to Ron Howard's The Dark Tower series, portraying Roland Deschain.

The actor has pulled ahead of contenders such as Javier Bardem and Viggo Mortensen to emerge as the top choice of both director Ron Howard and author Stephen King for the role of Roland Deschain.

We reported a few days ago that The Dark Knight Rises would likely be Christian Bale's last movie as Bruce Wayne/Batman, although he would return if director Christopher Nolan comes back for a fourth movie.

In other The Dark Tower news, Dexter actress Jennifer Carpenter is on the short list of candidates to portray Susannah Dean, along with French/Moroccan actress Ghita Tazi. We reported earlier this month that Naomie Harris was the front runner to play Susannah, although it isn't clear if she is still in the running for the part.

The Dark Tower is in development . The film is directed by Ron Howard.

Sources: New York Post

1. Lane

I meant to say "amidst all these articles"... WTF? lol

3 years agoby @lane1Flag

2. Lane

@narrator Was trying to find your comment about Bardem through the midst of all these articles, lol. I just wanted to say my brother is a huge Stephen King/Dark Tower nut. Not only is it his favorite book series, but No Country For Old Men is one of his favorite and way too hyped up movies (meaning, he never shuts up about it) of all-time... When I told him Bardem was being considered, though, and that I "think" he had already been cast, my brother scoffed at the news. He didn't like the casting at all because Roland is not described that way in the books and therefore Javier doesn't look anything like him. His suggestion for Roland was Brandon Routh. "That guy from Superman," he said (Remember, this is coming from someone who's obsessed with this series and it's world). I was inclined to agree if only because I'd love to see Routh break-out into something like this beyond a one-hit wonder performance in Supes.

He did say he read that Bassett was up for Susannah though and said she'd be perfect for the role. So there you go. What do you think on both accounts?

3 years agoby @lane1Flag

3. FY3 Sw@GgA

Last but not least, even Stephen King himself said that he always pictured Angela Bassett when writing about the character Susannah in his book. It's bad enough you all cast Angelina Jolie in the role of Fox in Wanted when the creator and writer said that he had Halle Berry in mind when writing about Fox. I bet you all probably didn't even invite her in for a test screening. Sick of the white washing!!!

3 years agoby @fy3-swggaFlag

4. FY3 Sw@GgA

5 African American actresses you guys should most definately screen test for the role of Susannah, Naomie Harris, Rutina Wesley, Kerry Washington, Zoe Saldana, and Nicole Beharie.

3 years agoby @fy3-swggaFlag

5. FY3 Sw@GgA

@Josh, Shnoopbop, The Narrator. I totally agree 110% with u guys. Casting a white woman in the role of Susannah would totally destroy and change Stephen King's saga entirely. Come on Hollywood!!!

3 years agoby @fy3-swggaFlag

6. FY3 Sw@GgA

Why would you suggest a white actress and a half looking white actress for a character that was clearly described as a dark-skinned african american in the book. Hollywood gets on my last nerve always white washing roles that clearly so many ethnic groups could play. It's bad enough that there aren't that many descent roles for people of color to play in movies, and then you go and cast white people in those few descent roles. Ignorance, Prejudice, and Racism plain and simple. People of color need to start boycotting these movies.

3 years agoby @fy3-swggaFlag

7. Ryan Moran

i can see him doing this

3 years agoby @nightwing18Flag

8. renodc

I think I remember Stephen King saying that Eastwood's Man with No Name character was the basis for Roland.

3 years agoby @renodcFlag

9. Xenon

keep Bale away from this, he's not that great an actor.

3 years agoby @xenon56Flag

10. Stiles

I've only just started reading these books (I know) and I'm picturing Clint Eastwood circa Pale Rider as The Gunslinger. Shame he's not 30 years younger.

3 years agoby @stilesFlag

Agreed about Susannah @Josh.

3 years agoby @narratorFlag

12. bud2fresh

Call it Friendo I want Javier!

3 years agoby @bud2freshFlag

13. Ledouchee

Jennifer Carpenter can't play Susannah. Susannah is black, and her being black is extremely important to the story.

3 years agoby @ledoucheeFlag

14. ed_wood

I still want Viggo for this movie.

3 years agoby @ed-woodFlag

15. phatalphd

I just jizzed in my pants. please make this happen. My favorite actor playing my favorite character in my favorite series! come on now!

3 years agoby @phatalphdFlag

16. mosorwvlad

Javier Bardem's face never evolved 100% from the monkey's face.

3 years agoby @mosorwvladFlag

Any of these actors could fill Dechain's boots, my only doubts lie with the director. How are they going to pull this off? Petey Jackson has ulcers just from preproduction on the hobbit. Imagine what trying to bring this story together would feel like. IMPOSSIBLE!

3 years agoby @skywiseFlag

18. Mr_Jellyfish

Bardem would be a bad choice, Viggo would be a good choice, Bale would be... Perfectly fine, probably

3 years agoby @mr-jellyfishFlag

19. Jimthar

@narrator. uh the inevitable next batman after 'rises'. you know there will be one so dont act like i'm having pipe dreams.

3 years agoby @jimtharFlag

20. Josh

I would be happy with Bardem in the role. He's such a versatile and nuanced actor, although Viggo is my personal favourite pick; he just has the feel of the character about him. Either one is better than Bale, who is fine, but I don't see him in this role. He's too young-looking, for one thing.

What is more alarming for me is the names being suggested for Susanna. Jennifer Carpenter?! Do they realize that Susanna is a feisty African American woman heavily involved in the civil rights movement? They need to be faithful: cast someone like Naomi Harris, or Taraji P Henson. I'll be VERY pissed off if they cast a white woman in that role, because it completely changes the character.

3 years agoby @shuabertFlag

Damn, I hope he turns it down. I'm sorry, and I think Bardem is a great actor, but I don't want to watch a film/tv series with him as the lead. No thank you.

3 years agoby @narratorFlag

MovieWeb is slow lol. Its users are telling the news quicker then they are rolling out the articles today :P

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

23. Cyn

I've never read this series. Stephen King is a little too long winded for me. But I'll watch anything that Bale is in.

But MovieFreak is right - looks like Javier just got offered the lead.

3 years agoby @cyn-de-harvenFlag

24. MovieFreakDigital

Javier Bardem just got offered the role :)

3 years agoby @inhighdefFlag

Yes, let's focus on the Batman movie that is definitely coming, before obsessing about what could be after that.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

@jimthar, what next Batman? Getting the cart before the horse there bud.

3 years agoby @narratorFlag

27. Jimthar

ugh. i hope he doesn't do this. this project will take YEARS to complete, which means that we'll be waiting at least 4 years before the next batman comes out. i'm NOT down with that.

3 years agoby @jimtharFlag

28. ParkWilliams

No disrespect to Bale, but both Bardem and Mortensen are both far better actors, and though I've only read The Gunslinger so far, I'd say of the three of them Mortensen would embody the character best.

3 years agoby @azadorFlag

So, what's Dark Tower about anyways>

Exactly @Supes. Masterpiece. In fact, since you're reviewing lesser heard of films lately, might I suggest AHoV?

@Dave, I think Day-Lewis is great, but I on't much care for him for some reason. Great actor, like Christopher Waltz, but I don't care for either of them.

3 years agoby @narratorFlag