Chris Cooper Is Norman Osborn in 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2'

The actor will portray the Oscorp chairman who transforms into the Green Goblin in director Marc Webb's villain-packed Marvel sequel.
Chris Cooper will play Norman Osborn in The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Chris Cooper will play Norman Osborn in The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Chris Cooper has signed on to portray Norman Osborn in The Amazing Spider-Man 2. While we knew that Oscorp was featured in director Marc Webb's sequel, Norman Osborn's casting has never been confirmed until now. Dane DeHaan is playing Norman's son Harry Osborn.

It isn't known at this time if Norman Osborn will transform into The Green Goblin in this sequel, or if they are holding off on using that villain for The Amazing Spider-Man 3. In the comic books, Norman Osborn starts out as a mentor to Peter Parker, before his villainous turn. The character was originally portrayed by Willem Dafoe in Sam Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 already has a notable villain in Paul Giamatti's The Rhino, but it is possible there may be dual villains. Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone star as Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy, with Jamie Foxx playing Electro, Shailene Woodley portraying Mary Jane Watson, and Sally Field and Martin Sheen reprising their roles as Aunt May and Uncle Ben.

Marc Webb is directing from a screenplay by Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman, and Jeff Pinkner. Production is currently under way in New York City.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 comes to theaters May 2nd, 2014 and stars Martin Sheen, Emma Stone, Andrew Garfield, Dane DeHaan, Stan Lee, Sarah Gadon, Felicity Jones, Jamie Foxx. The film is directed by Marc Webb.

@narrator I'm in the same boat my friend

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

@bawnian-dexeus My thoughts exactly, which is what makes me so disappointed in my current progress or lack thereof. This guy probably took the bull by the horns and owned the opportunity and I feel I need to do the same.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

@narrator I believe it. Different times I guess? Sounds like he was a man on a mission and made his case with the company before writing the story that he had boiling in his head all through his childhood.

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

@bawnian-dexeus@comicbookfan

Am I the only person amazed that a nineteen year old wrote that arc? I mean, the Death of Gwen Stacy... written by a guy a year out of high school... it makes me very disappointed with myself.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

5. CBF

@bawnian-dexeus Now you see why the Gwen Stacy story arc is so classic, eh..? Between the way Romita dolled her up and that tragic fate there really was no bigger turning point in Parker's life.

I also think it's perfect casting, Norman is pretty old, the Goblin DNA hides his age well. Plus he looks similar to DeHaan, which is a good thing, since Norman & Harry look the same.

1 year agoby @comicbookfanFlag

6. moviemouse

loving this more and more i just wish electro wasn't the villain

1 year agoby @moviemouseFlag

7. Josh

Cool casting!

1 year agoby @shuabertFlag

8. Fry_3000

@narrator absolutley agree, they can't f*ck this one up. Keep as close to comics as possible, don't rush the stories.

1 year agoby @Fry-3000Flag

@narrator DUDE! I just read that chapter in TASM #121. I knew she died but GOOD LORD that had to have been the best piece of literature I've ever absorbed. A genuine "f*ck me" moment

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

What can I say, @ejk1? Smart dudes think alike? Lol.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

11. MovieManiac

This cast is crazy!

1 year agoby @moviemaniac66Flag

@narrator@mieko-siede Now you're all just jumping on my idea :P

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

13. Raoul Duke

I thought Giamatti was just geeking out on Rhino. I didn't know he had actually been cast. Paul Giamatti + Chris Cooper = Titti*s!

1 year agoby @raoulduke33Flag

14. Mieko_Siede

@narrator I was thinking the same thing. I'd like to see them stretch the series so that each character and their counterparts have a chance to develop properly before it draws to a close.

1 year agoby @mieko-siedeFlag

15. Upsmann44

He was good in The Company Men, and he seems like a cool guy.

1 year agoby @upsmann44Flag

I hope they make this series at least a four-parter, if only to develop all the characters properly. I'd like to see a genuine relationship between Norman and Peter before Osborn goes psycho, leading to the all to unavoidable scene at the bridge.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

17. Dbzfan91

@Adsdsdsd123 Couldn't agree with you more. I want unused villains in the new films.... Mysterio and Scorpion are who I want to see next. Not necessarily together but still.

1 year agoby @dbzfan91Flag

18. Adsdsdsd123

I think he will be good as Norman Osborne but i dont want another Green Goblin. Mysterio is the one villain i want the most.

1 year agoby @Adsdsdsd123Flag

19. cryhawks

If he becomes The Goblin it will be at the very end & that will lead into the 3rd movie because they have already said this will be a real trilogy of movies

1 year agoby @cryhwksFlag

20. ridgl

have they confirmed that he will be turning into the Green Goblin?

1 year agoby @ridglFlag

Impressed, but a bit older than the character should be

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

22. The_Crow2k

That's a good casting...but no worries, I'm sure Marc Webb will find a way to screw that up.
    Hell, he completely wasted Martin Sheen and Sally Field, so why not add Chris Cooper and Paul Giamatti to that list?

1 year agoby @the-crow2kFlag

23. artkid04

i have a huge worry that this spiderman is going to turn into spiderman 3

1 year agoby @artkid04Flag

24. The Real Goku

12 villains? Nice lol

1 year agoby @therealGokuFlag

25. moviegeek

Ooooh very good choice. Hopefully they're able to still take this to new territory, even though they seem to be completely repeating the original trilogy now.

1 year agoby @moviegeekFlag

26. artkid04

AAAAAAH!!!!!! oh my god, this is amazing news, very very super!!!!

1 year agoby @artkid04Flag

Cooper's a good actor, but a little old. If he only has a cameo or bit part in this film to set up the third, it may get harder for him to pull off the role.

@brady1138 For the most part the cast is good. It's just that it is also miscast.

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

28. ROFLitschristian

I've never actually seen any of his work. So, sure?

1 year agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

29. Michael Kolesik

looks like he fits the role to me

1 year agoby @Michael-KolesikFlag

30. Xenon

Anyway I applied to the local college for updating my skills.

I would like to see these superhero's show up in other films, they don't have to cross paths as long they are seen.

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag