Chris Benoit Biopic 'Crossface' in the Works

The film tells the story of the WWE superstar who murdered his son and wife before taking his own life.
Chris Benoit biopic in the works
Chris Benoit biopic in the works
SRG Films is planning to adapt Matthew Randazzo's book "Ring of Hell: The Story of Chris Benoit and the Fall of the Pro Wrestling Industry" into a big-screen biopic Crossface, about pro wrestler Chris Benoit who murdered his son and wife before taking his own life. Check out the press release below:

Crossface, a biographical thriller, delves into the pressures WWE superstar Chris Benoit faced throughout his wrestling career as the combination of drug-use, depression, and head trauma became increasingly impossible for him to handle. The true story made headline news in 2007 when Chris murdered his wife and young son before taking his own life.

SRG Films head Dale Alexander Carnegie is producing the film, while William Morris Endeavor (WME) is on board to package the project. Former Weinstein Company staffer, Sarah Coulter, turned in the first draft of the script in mid-October.

"All of us grow up believing that wrestling is fake, but looking at the shocking number of deaths in the industry, it quickly becomes evident that there is nothing fake about the dangers of this sport," Carnegie said. "Chris Benoit has become a poster child for everything that's wrong with professional wrestling and Sarah's terrific script captures his struggles and the many factors that led to the deaths of three people."

Coulter added: "People immediately point to steroids, never thinking about the brain trauma these wrestlers can, and do, incur in their profession, nor do they consider the rigorous schedule that keeps them working even when they shouldn t be. The Benoit story is one that needs to be brought into the light.:

SRG Films, currently in talks with directors and actors, plans to begin filming in the fall of 2012.

Sources: SRG Films

1. ROFLitschristian

@thedude-abides@ejk1 I dunno. Hardy seems to be building up a magnificent career at the moment. Even though he'd more than likely be AMAZING, I'm not sure he'd take a risk so early on. I could see maybe... well no one really. LoL. Production is going to be hell.

3 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

@thedude-abides It just seems like it would be a brutal final thirty minutes of film.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

3. thedude-abides

@ejk1 Hahaha. Yeah, I wouldn't want to see them do it either, but those are great picks. Hardy was who I had in mind as well. Another one I thought of was Chris Pine, who I think would certainly look the part assuming he could get in character, which I doubt. But I've got no desire to see this.

3 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

@thedude-abides YOU! :P

Seriously though, I think someone like Tom Hardy could, assuming he can transform his English accent into a Canadian one. Mark Wahlberg kind has similar features. Those are all I've got. I'll be honest here, I don't want to see any of my favorites take this role.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

5. thedude-abides

@ejk1@ROFLitschristian Who do you see playing Benoit, assuming it's not an unknown?

3 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

@ROFLitschristian Animosity is a certainty. Debate will be plenty. And not surprisingly, the WWE will do their best to ignore the whole thing. And that is a shame.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

7. ROFLitschristian

@ejk1 I think this film is better talked about than actually filmed. I can already see so much animosity surrounding it.

3 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

@ROFLitschristian It's just difficult to deal with. On the one hand, one can try to find forgiveness because of the fact that he had so much brain damage. Like former NFL player Andre Waters, Benoit was a man in his forties who had a brain similar to that of an 85 year old addled with Alzheimer's. He also suffered from dementia. If only someone could see what was happening before it was too late, then something could have been done to help him.

But then there is the absolute atrocity he committed. There are some things in this world that are unforgivable, and what Benoit did may be one of those things.

I feel for the family, friends, and anyone else associated with the ordeal. I also find myself concerned over the actor, whoever he may be, possibly becoming too immersed in the role. This actor must have the ability to separate himself from the role he plays. I do not want to see another Heath Ledger in my lifetime.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

9. TheFury

Of all the wrestlers. Why this piece of sh*t? Why not just make a movie with without Benoit and just have a character with the same problems. This sh*t head murdered his whole family. F*ck steroids. He murdered his family. Who is this guy Michael Myers? The pills told him to kill his family.

3 years agoby @TheFuryFlag

10. K.Guy

interesting

3 years agoby @kguyFlag

11. Dragon1991

I remember watching this on the news, back when I used to watch WWE. I remember my jaw dropping after discovering the incident.

3 years agoby @Dragon1991Flag

12. ROFLitschristian

@skywise@bawnian-dexeus@ejk1@moviemaniac66@thedude-abides It's definitely still a sore subject. I know a lot of people felt betrayed by him because of what he did, but then again it wasn't necessarily his fault. I'm still a little opposed to this though. I think it will always be too soon.

3 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

13. MovieManiac

I don't know about this.

3 years agoby @moviemaniac66Flag

14. thedude-abides

@ejk1 Yeah, I can't say I'm in favor of this... I guess it was inevitable, though.

3 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

Man, I remember the day

16. deepsky926

Hope they acknowledge Eddie Guerrero's death bcuz it factor in a big way, and was possibly one of the main factors that started Chris's downfall, overall for any non-wrestling fans, YouTube Wrestlemania 20 and check out the main event celebration, 4 yrs later both men are dead, such a sad moment in wrestling for men n fans

3 years agoby @deepsky926Flag

This will be tough to watch. Hopefully this project will be handled delicately.

3 years agoby @ejk1Flag

not sure how they are going to pull it off. It seems like it was just yesterday i was reading the headlines of his murder/suicide.

3 years agoby @skywiseFlag