'Child's Play' Remake Finally Moves Forward at MGM

Brad Dourif will return to voice the murderous doll Chucky, with shooting to start later this year from Don Mancini's script.
Chucky will return with a new Child's Play remake from MGM
Chucky will return with a new Child's Play remake from MGM
MGM is finally in a position to bring Chucky back to life, with the horror reboot Child's Play heading into production. Child's Play first hit theaters in 1988, spawning the sequels Child's Play 2, Child's Play 3, Bride Of Chucky, and Seed of Chucky.

The remake had been in development for several years, with a script already written by Don Mancini, who also wrote all the previous movies in the Chucky franchise. The hold-up on the remake was apparently due to rights issues by MGM and Universal. MGM has the rights to the original Child's Play, while Universal retained rights to the sequels. Apparently, a deal has been made between the two studios.

Production is said to begin on the remake sometime later this year, with Brad Dourif returning to voice Chucky. This new project is said to be more of a reboot, with a darker tone and less comedic elements (what's more funny than a Cabbage Patch doll trying to kill a kid, though?). However, none of this has been confirmed at this time.

Way back in September 2008, I spoke with writer Don Mancini and producer David Kirschner about the 20th Anniversay DVD release of Child's Play. Here's what David Kirschner had to say about the remake, which was initially Universal's idea.

"Actually, it was Universal. In our discussions of Don and my producing partner, we thought we would go on to the next film, but Universal said to us that they would love to be able to remake the first. I think all of us looked at each other and said, 'We just don't want to make a frame-for-frame exactly the same picture.' That's when Don went away and began to work and when Don began to lay out where he was going. I don't want to give away too much. I've known Don for 22 years. We're dear friends. I know his humor, I know his mind. I was so shocked with where he was taking us with expectations of the first film and pulling the rug out from under us. It was exciting and really frightening and exhilarating to hear, as opposed to just shooting a frame-for-frame, but really subverting audiences expectations."

Don Mancini also revealed back then that he wanted to get away from the comedy and make this a straight-up horror movie.

"That's really our goal with this next movie, bottom-line, was to make it scary again. After having, I think, rather successfully mined the horror-comedy aspects of this concept over the course of Bride of Chucky and Seed of Chucky, the fans are really telling us that they want it to be scary again. Doing the remake just provides us with a really good opportunity to bring it home, so to speak."

Click Here! to read the entire interview with Don Mancini and David Kirschner from September 2008.

Curse of Chucky was released October 8th, 2013 and stars Chantal Quesnel, Fiona Dourif, Jordan Gavaris, Danielle Bisutti, A Martinez, Maitland McConnell, Brennan Elliott, Summer H. Howell. The film is directed by Don Mancini.

Sources: HorrorBid.com

1. Madison Perri

i think they shld rlly remake the bride of chucky tht was the best of the movies im wit u guys on bein scared of chucky when i was a kid but i saw it when i was 4 so i want something tht cld scare me right now as a 13 year old and i also think they shld include his back story

2 years agoby @Madison-PerriFlag

2. Ray Felch

2 years agoby @Ray-FelchFlag

3. Pj Stuteville

i think its awesome to remake it from the beginning. They need to really explain why chucky is who he is. Maybe touch up on how charles lee ray learned voo doo and how chucky became chucky. now with better effects they should make this gory and scary as crap. I think if they touched up on the whole plot and background it wont be as cheezy.

2 years agoby @Pj-StutevilleFlag

4. Ray Felch

wane is childs play2 and 3gooing too go bule ray

2 years agoby @Ray-FelchFlag

5. Che Ivy Rodda

hmmm, im not to sure about this.

2 years agoby @Che-Ivy-RoddaFlag

6. Xenon

Seen the first film and I don't see how it could be even better. Can't believe that Brad's in the remake since he was in the original.

2 years agoby @xenon56Flag

7. Monkeyiron 2.0

Should I be happy or scared

2 years agoby @monkeyiron2-0Flag

8. Frank Sambrick

@sarahs i know this is an old post... but all the chucky movies had the same director and writer Don Mancini. and Bride Of Chucky was i think the most box officely succesful in the series and by far the best written, and that was one of the two comical ones.

2 years agoby @Frank-SambrickFlag

9. JasonKat

ya know dead silent was actually a good chucky film. or atleast a good doll flick..

3 years agoby @jasonkatFlag

10. thedude-abides

While I'm not at all a fan of reboots, I would definitely watch this. Love me some Chucky.

3 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

11. Bane5000

@Stansfield...lol im with u on being scared of Chucky as a kid, read my previous posts on this article :]

3 years agoby @bane5000Flag

12. A-J

not surprising, making it darker is always the goal when they do a remake whether it a horror movie or not

3 years agoby @ajlewisFlag

13. Stansfield

I'm excited about this remake because as a kid, Child's Play scared the sh*t out of me. I have forever been a supporter and huge fan of Brad Dourif, and his involvment really seals the deal for me. They are going to go old school with this flick and try to bring back what was creepy back then. making it darker and more grounded in horror is a wise choice. I have enjoyed all the "Chucky" films for what they have been....but I'm ready for a return to darkness. I won't bitch about remakes because enough of you are already doing that...there is something to be said about originality, but it's been a long while since Hollywood has been about been "original". Bottom line....some remakes suck, and some outshine the original. I'll spend my money on what I want to see and not worry about what I don't.

3 years agoby @StansfieldFlag

14. Bane5000

@jakn...He's also famous for playing Det.Goren on Law and Order:Criminal Intent, i think hed make an awesome Pennywise if given the chance

3 years agoby @bane5000Flag

@jakn Dude, you don't know Vincent D'Onofrio? He's the fat guy from Full Metal Jacket who goes bezerk in the first half of the movie. Lemme guess, you didn't see it? Go watch it, man...

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

16. Jakn

@bane5000 I don't know that actor, but sounds good to me.

3 years agoby @jaknFlag

17. JonSpidey07

well at least Brad Dourif is still in tact
    itd be a huge waste of time having somebody else play the doll
    Chucky is one of my favorite slasher icons

3 years agoby @jonspidey07Flag

18. Sarah

I'm glad it's the original director of the first 3 movies that's directing the re-make. I hate the new director, he makes Chucky a joke.

3 years agoby @sarahsFlag

19. Bane5000

@diaigma...that line is awesome, u know once u hear it, its Chucky, thats the kind of creepiness i want this remake to go back to

Oh and have u seen this trailer for a short film called " Blinky " if u havent check it out, think Chucky but as a robot that a kid gets as a gift, but u know its nots gonna turn out good...Check it out from this link...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20-wrJK-qds

3 years agoby @bane5000Flag

20. Dr.Carter

@bane5000 LoL!! Thats the same thing I did at Blockbuster. I would avoid Chucky and Freddy Krueger movies.

3 years agoby @dr-carterFlag

21. Diaigma

"Wanna play?"

::shivers::

Creepiest line from my childhood when said Chucky style :P

3 years agoby @diaigmaFlag

22. Bane5000

@jakn...i have a suggestion on who to play Pennywise, it may be crazy but this guy is considered an awesome actor and i think he can come out playing a creepy clown well if he wanted to...but how about Vincent D'Onofrio...?

3 years agoby @bane5000Flag

23. Bane5000

@lilzook....my aplologies, but i think u have it backwards, the lil comedy and lil darkness to me was the reason some sequels and recent remakes of past horror movies have failed, these movies need to go back to beind dark suspense-thrillers as they were when they were first made, if they do have few funny parts, ok, but dont make it to much of a focus on the film that it drowns out the scary and horror feel of tension the movie is supposed to make u have thats gonna have u jumping out of ur seat or covering ur eyes at points, horror films are supposed to give u the creeps, not make u laugh..

@jasonkat...I agree, make it Rated R or not at all, i want to be creeped out and scared watchin a horror movie, if they want to dumb it down so kids can go see it with their parents, then its not a horror movie...i miss the days of sneaking into a scary movie cuz my age wasnt permitted to what was in the film, but i snuck in anyhow :]

3 years agoby @bane5000Flag

24. JasonKat

If this is an, r-rated horror, im there, if its pg13 horror, count me out., people wanna c real horror movies, not kiddy crap,, let Disney make movies for kids, leave the scary stuff to adults, dont save a buck, just to trim it down for a pg13 rating, . If u make em the way they r meant to b watched, not only will they make money but they will get good reviews too!, but now adays, they only care about is making money, fillin seats, not about if the movie is watchworthy or not.

3 years agoby @jasonkatFlag

I don't really care. I like the original, it was a great 80's horror flick. Reboot it, remake it, whatever.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

26. LilZook

i think we need to stop with all this going darker story lines..lets keep chucky the way its ment to be..little comedy little darkness..just level it right..so it doesnt end up like those horrible friday the 13th and nightmare on elm street remakes

3 years agoby @lilzookFlag

27. Jakn

@bane5000 I understand why you suggest the whole part II thing, but I fell that it should be into just one movie, and besides. They said that there won't any sequels or any other remakes. I'd like to see Frank Darabont direct this movie. Director of the some of the other Stephen King adaptions, The Green Mile, The Mist, and The Shawkshank Redemption. What I'm wondering is who is going to play Pennywise.

3 years agoby @jaknFlag

28. Jonathan Nathan Davis

i hope they dont change how he looks

3 years agoby @Jonathan-Nathan-DavisFlag

29. Bane5000

@jakn...Oh Hell Yes on It, imagine that as a full on horror film, i wouldnt mind if they made it two parts so that then can fit everything from the novel into the movie, start the first as the kids and end it with the adults getting the message to go back and have part two as the adults dealing with Pennywise

3 years agoby @bane5000Flag