Charlize Theron Reveals She Is the Villain in 'Prometheus'

The actress also addresses the chest-bursting scene from 'Alien', saying that Ridley Scott fans will be happy.
Charlize Theron talks Prometheus
Charlize Theron talks Prometheus
It certainly has been a Prometheus-filled week, with the first trailer debuting yesterday, in anticipation of its June 8 release. Actress Charlize Theron recently spoke about her character in Ridley Scott's sci-fi tale, revealing that she plays one of the villains.

"No, I actually don't play the heroine in it, that's Noomi Rapace. I play somewhat of a villain in it. She's not a believer, she's not a scientist, she is the red tape that everyone has to go through. She's working with the company that's sponsoring this whole thing and you can feel she definitely has an agenda, which we pick up in the third act. She's more quiet thunder."

When asked if there will be a chest-bursting scene like in Ridley Scott's 1979 sci-fi classic Alien, the actress dropped a subtle hint.

"Maybe! I mean if you're a Ridley Scott fan and you love the genre, then you're going to be happy. You're going to be very, very happy."

Prometheus was released June 8th, 2012 and stars Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, Idris Elba, Guy Pearce, Logan Marshall-Green, Sean Harris, Rafe Spall. The film is directed by Ridley Scott.

Sources: Total Film

1. Replicant

@k-man Yeah, I go to apple but sometimes they're down for some reason and I have to wait for someone to upload a good copy to youtube.

3 years agoby @felipe-11Flag

2. TheFury

Way to go on the spoilers Charlize.

3 years agoby @TheFuryFlag

@k-man Right. While films like The Devil's Advocate, Monster, North Country, and Italian Job were good to great, none of them were blockbuster caliber. 2012 will be the gamechanging year.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

4. K-Man

@dan1 - indeed, that would be great for her.

Either way, whether she gets award recognition for it or not, she's about to have a GREAT year. I think 2012 will really make her a sought after item for major blockbusters.... after-all, I cant remember the last time she was in a really great blockbuster.

(keyword is blockbuster.....because she's been in plenty of great films).

3 years agoby @k-manFlag

@diaigma Absolutely fine with me. Some actors/actresses rule as villains.

@k-man Yep. My hope is she sees a nod or two for Prometheus n Huntsmen.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

6. K-Man

She's going to be GREAT in this role. I cant wait to see her performance in this.

@dan1@narrator - Agreed with both of you guys. These other guys are taking the article a little too literally.

@the other guys - Guys, they are saying that she's the "suit" who works for Weyland-Yutani who will play a bit of an antagonist role (antagonist roles come in many shapes and forms, not always being the one who's holding a bloody knife), most likely causing problems for the rest of the crew or blocking them from reaching certain objectives.....but not necessarily killing anyone. In fact, the two females are the least of the worries, judging by the trailer. I think you guys should give that trailer another look......but this time a little more closely. *wink* *wink*
    I see her character being a lot like Charles S. Dutton's character "Dillon", or any of the convicts for that matter, from Alien 3, in that they are all rapist of women and murderers (and even beat the sh*t out of Ripley at one point)....but they ultimately redeem themselves and are useful as a team while working together to stop the threat.

SIDE NOTE: I dont know about you guys but I always go to either Apple.com/trailers or Yahoo.com trailers and watch the trailers in 1080p HD. It's amazing what you can get from trailers when you watch it in HD and analyze the f*ck out of it.

3 years agoby @k-manFlag

7. Diaigma

Well, she's hot, so I'll forgive her villainessness this time around (she's going all out baddie on us this year, playing the evil Snow White queen, too!) :P

3 years agoby @diaigmaFlag

8. Replicant

@bodytemple I agree, I actually never want to read about plot elements, but f*cking movieweb always spoils sh*t on the headline and usually the picture too.

I just want to read casting news, developing projects, movie posters and trailers. Anything else just completely spoils the movie. Anyone know a good non-spoiler movie site?

3 years agoby @felipe-11Flag

@narrator People reading into sh*t. As per usual.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

@dan1, agreed. Sometimes, people can take things a little too literally, as well as offensively, when there was no wrong intent there in the first place. Lol.

3 years agoby @narratorFlag

11. BODYTEMPLE

you know i really dont think i'm going to read any more stuff that comes out about this movie, the more we read about it and even the comments that others make it dulls the magic of the movie, before you know it the movie wont match the build up of all the year long info i read on it...i think film makers want us to want to know and learn about the movie but within a limit...THE LESS WE KNOW THE BETTER OFF WE ARE IN THIS SENSE. I THINK THERE IS A BLISS IN NOT KNOWING TO MUCH ABOUT A MOVIE WE LOVE AND BEEN LOOKING AND LONGING TO SEE.

3 years agoby @bodytempleFlag

I doubt it has anything to do with religion or whatever. It just means she's the skeptical, cynical company woman with an agenda, where the rest of the crew are open minded scientists and androids.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

13. Replicant

@zenttox Yep. Total spoiler, and I don't think Ridley Scott (who made them all sign confidentiality agreements) will appreciate this.

Now we know that half-way through she'll turn on em or something...

3 years agoby @felipe-11Flag

14. Connor

@bawnian-dexeus Have you noticed how there making Noomi Rapace's character who is the main character a "believe" while Charlize Theron's character who is the villian is a "nonbeliever"

3 years agoby @connor-hFlag

15. CUPID

Charlize Theron :)

3 years agoby @cupidFlag

16. Corey W.

@zenttox How so?

3 years agoby @coreyFlag

17. ZenTTox

Well, that was stupid to announce...

3 years agoby @zenttoxFlag

18. CelluloidDreams

Love Charlize Theron!.

3 years agoby @2movieguysFlag

@connor-h Shouldn't there be? I mean, they are searching for their origin, right?

20. Connor

"She's not a believer" not a believer in what? please don't tell me there is some stupid religion believing in god overtone in this film.

3 years agoby @connor-hFlag

21. K.Guy

Should have known! She did look a bit villainous in the teaser.

3 years agoby @kguyFlag