Channing Tatum Unlikely to Return for 'G.I. Joe 3', But Bruce Willis and Dwayne Johnson Will Be Back

Director Jon M. Chu recants his previous statement about Duke's return. Read on as he discusses the sequel in more detail.
Just a few short days ago, director Jon M. Chu hinted that Channing Tatum may be returning as Duke in G.I. Joe 3, despite being obliterated during the opening action sequence in the previous movie, G.I. Joe Retaliation.

Here is his exact quote.

"You never know. Storm Shadow died in the first one and came back in the second one, and then other characters have died and never come back. The G.I. Joe world, the best thing about it is you never know who's coming back and who's not."

The director is continuing his press tour in support of Justin Bieber's Believe, and would now like to recant his previous statements. According to him, its highly unlikely that Channing Tatum will return in this third installment of the popular Hasbro franchise.

"It all gets carried away again. They asked me about Channing and I don't know. You never know in these movies, and that's all I said, and suddenly it became "Channing Tatum might be back." To me, every possibility is open and we're writing the script right now and we're figuring everything out. It's an extremely low possibility when you kill somebody like that, it's pretty much it, but you never know with G.I. Joe. We did that with Storm Shadow, too."

He does confirm that Dwayne Johnson and Bruce Willis will be back, and that he is in the midst of world building for this sequel as he speaks.

"I love being active in world-building, so we're working on G.I. Joe 3 right now. We're designing tons of stuff, which takes a little bit, but to me, that's obviously where I like to push myself and where I want to be for a long time and get to know better...I'm excited to bring in new characters and fun things beyond Dwayne Johnson and Bruce Willis that we're working on and some great villains, but we're forming those ideas now. I'm really excited - it's going to be a whole 'nother level."

While no release date has been announced, he did confirm that shooting will begin sometime in 2014.

""I think we're going to be shooting next year. We're pretty motivated to get that up."

G.I. Joe 3 comes to theaters in 2016 and stars Dwayne Johnson.

1. undeadslayer4

@jasonkat its because most of the cast didnt want to come back

6 months agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

2. JasonKat

@undeadslayer4
    Im with you on that1 dude! every step of the way, i loved the first film. i really wished they had brought back everybody from that movie and throw in a few surprises in the 2nd film. BUT NO!! they got rid of them and only brought a few. and jusr like this movie, Jon M. Chu. is gonna mess it up again.
    No doubt i'll prob. like it because im a gi joes fan. but i really miss the old cast and they should have returned like summers said a couple yrs ago b4 he got canned. that everybody would be vack for part2.

6 months agoby @jasonkatFlag

3. undeadslayer4

@jasonkat all i want them to do is to get the old cast back and continue from the first one and eccelson better be in this one

6 months agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

4. syndicate

Without the character Duke, get ready for a bad box office for the next G.I. Joe movie. I remember when I was still in high school, and the G.I. Joe animated movie came on or was talked about way before it came on T.V.. No G.I. Joe viwers and comic book readers wanted Duke dead at all. And it was a big deal. Back then everyone already a stinch about the death of Optimus Prime in the animated movie. All they have to do is get someone else to play Duke not Channing Tatum. One thing is do today's G.I. Joe fan see it that way or react that way.

7 months agoby @syndicateFlag

5. CelluloidDreams

Good cause Channing Tatum died...

7 months agoby @2movieguysFlag

6. JasonKat

ya he pretty much fuked it up. but wont admit it. he claimed to know so much about gi joe, yet he killed off the most important character of the joes. Not that storm shadow wasnt killed off in the first film. like summers said (right b4 he got canned) ice doesnt sink. meaning storm may or may not have died but his body never sank. i give this new director alot of prop for bringing him back, but the dude has no idea how to do that (story wise)
    Yea we have no idea how cobra and Destro were able to escape the uss carrier.
    Worse yet!, gi joe had alot of joes A TON! even tho 80% of them were not main characters. and then you see less than 100 joes in part2.
    Like @thedude1 said. this was a big step to the first film. but does lack alot of things that dont add up. this might as well be a remake.
    Anyhow, killing duke off was the dumbest thing to do. all because you wanna make the rock your top star. He (Jon M. Chu. ) would have to really be creative enough to find a way to bring him back w/out looking cheap. like "ohh that bomb/truck missed him, dont worry he lived" having a gi joe film w out duke is stupid, but oh well. as much as people hate rise of cobra, i think that was the best1 even tho it was cheesy. sh*t had alot of heart, attitude,, characters and summers should have returned.

7 months agoby @jasonkatFlag

7. Xenon

Now I got to see the second film

7 months agoby @xenon56Flag

8. TheDude1

The sequel was a giant step in the right direct. Not perfect, but a huge upgrade over the first film.

7 months agoby @thedude1Flag

9. TheObserver

Makes sense, wanna know why !? cuz he's dead !

7 months agoby @TheObserverFlag