Bryan Singer Wanted Taylor Lautner for 'X-Men: First Class'

Scheduling conflicts nixed the 'Twilight' star's plans to be in the film.
Bryan Singer discusses why Taylor Lautner is not in X-Men: First Class
Bryan Singer discusses why Taylor Lautner is not in X-Men: First Class
Blastr recently caught up with Bryan Singer and he discussed some rumors relating to X-Men: First Class. Singer is producing that film

The first thing he talked about was why The Twilight Saga star Taylor Lautner wasn't going to be in his superhero opus.

"I wanted Taylor [Lautner] to do it, I really did," Singer stated. "He's doing a movie in Pittsburgh called Abduction and then he's got the next Twilight movie. We talked about it a lot, he is a friend, and I really wanted to make it work. It just doesn't look like it's possible to do it."

It also looks like Meagan Good is up for a role but Singer didn't say which one.

He also talked down rumors about him possibly directing Wolverine 2.

"It's not what I'm going to do right now, the next project for me next year, in London, is Jack the Giant Killer that is set in the 1300s and it's very fun. It will be a big movie."

X-Men: First Class was released June 3rd, 2011 and stars James McAvoy, Laurence Belcher, Michael Fassbender, Bill Milner, Kevin Bacon, Rose Byrne, Jennifer Lawrence, Beth Goddard. The film is directed by Matthew Vaughn.

1. Cyn

Yes, K_Man. I do.

Is anyone else sick and tired of this kid? And I haven't even SEEN a Twilight movie! I'm just sick to death of seeing his name crop for EVERYTHING.

And, Singer, we get it - you like pretty young boys. But, really, do you want to advertise the fact that you're friends with...TAYLOR LAUTNER??

4 years agoby @cyn-de-harvenFlag

2. Remy72883

i agree @Josh, that's why i want more detail on this film, is it a X-men Evolution take on it, same thing their young, and Wolverine is like training them, or what the hell is going on, i just want more info on the plot of the film

4 years agoby @remy72883Flag

Exactly, Josh.

4 years agoby @ejk1Flag

4. Josh

It already has to be a reboot if you consider that Origins: Wolverine was supposed to fit with the original films' continuity. At the end, Professor X meets Cyclops as a 16 year old, and Professor X is already the older man from the X-Men films (ie., he looks like Patrick Stewart. Even if he's, say 15 years younger when he appears in Origins than he is in the trilogy (so say 35 rather than 50, given Cyclops is roughly 30 in the trilogy and 16 in Origins), there's no way he could form the X-Men during that period and have it fit where he simultaneously looks as young as James McAvoy and as old as Patrick Stewart. If they were trying to fit this into the same continuity they would have cast someone who looks like a younger Stewart (like they did in casting Tom Hardy in Star Trek Nemesis), and they would be casting the same actor who played Cyclops in the Origins movie. I think that was their original intent, but the further they went with this project the more sense it made to do a proper origin and thus a reboot, because they won't want to be limited by the continuity of someone else's films.

4 years agoby @shuabertFlag

5. T.Clark

After seeing Kick-Ass, I have no doubt Vaughn could handle Wolverine's berserker rage with great effect, but the movie could survive without him.

4 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

6. T.Clark

I think this movie can get along without Wolverine. It's already on the verge of having too many characters as it is. He wasn't a member of the original X-Men, and if this is supposed to be a "prequel," he has no place in the movie, anyway.

4 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

7. Xybernetic

they will f*ck up big time if they include a young wolverine (unless is a different universe or something) by WWII logan was already an adult so it wont make sense

4 years agoby @xyberneticFlag

8. Xenon

From what I remember that The X-Men survived without Wolverine for some time before they actually met.
    What gets me is that none of the older films, not including Iron man and the old Spiderman Trilogy. Has any continually, it seems to me that the studios are just jumping around the time line and messing everything up.
    I've been a Marvel fan since the early 80's, the longer they mess things up I cringe and I begin to doubt them.Having only been in a ten minute video and have a bit of training since then, I wonder where some of these people come from.
    George Adam's, he directed Welke. Don't try to find it, I've tried. He said to me that some people are just lucky, but they have bad attitudes toward the media and or just full of them selves and don't want to improve their talent. One of the main reasons why some films are just horrible.

4 years agoby @xenon56Flag

Something very important just occurred to me about this movie. For months, there has been a debate as to whether First Class is a reboot or a prequel. If Wolverine is in this movie, and has any scenes with Xavier, Cyclops, Jean, or Storm, then it is a reboot. Wolverine met the X-Men in the first movie, which means that if he has any interaction here, then it will definitely signal this as a reboot. I feel somewhat stupid for not realizing this sooner.

4 years agoby @ejk1Flag

10. K-Man

Does anyone else want to punch this douche-bag square in the face??? Taylor Lautner is the next Hayden Christenson! A guys who, even after clearly showing the world he is one of the worst actors in history, managed to snag a role in a film (sh*tty one's at that, but still a "popular" series) and boost his way to stardom. However that star is about to fall very far indeed, because his "bourne" wanabee action film is going to suck so much dick that he wont get too many roles once the twilight series is done.

Thank god he didn't get the role of Wolverine, because that would bring the character to a whole new low.
    If they are going to bring Wolverine back they should just bring Hugh back, especially considering Wolverine is older than Professor X but just remains youthful due to his power. It makes sense in terms of continuity.

4 years agoby @k-manFlag

11. Iceman99

taylr lautner is a f*ggot amd a sh*t actor

4 years agoby @iceman99Flag

12. CBF

Jack The Giant Killer...? Really, Singer?! Really?

4 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

13. Remy72883

im just glad this kid has nothing to do with these films, i read the rumor online they wanted him to play a young wolverine after someone online here mentioned it, and thank god it wont happen, now if this movie followed the X-men Evolution cartoon i would have an issue with that, wolverine being older and training these kids as teenagers wouldn't be to bad, but having no idea what this one is mainly about im worried the x-men universe is gonna take a massive blow,

4 years agoby @remy72883Flag

14. TheNewDrug89

Lol i guess they figured that sense he played a sort of beast in the Twilight loads of sh*t, he would be an incredible pick for the actual beast......they would have been extremely wrong.

4 years agoby @thenewdrug89Flag

Lol @Rufio.

and @Insert, I think that would be great. However with the Japanese story line I thought James McTiegue would be a good consideration (V for Vendetta, Ninja Assassin) with cinematographer Wally Pfister (The Dark Knight, Inception, Insomnia), to give the Japanese setting that visually stunning, yet dark look. Singer should executive produce, and look over the final draft of the script and tweak what he thinks is wrong. That would be a picture I'd see instantly.

Too bad Fox doesn't know what the f*ck their doing with this franchise.

4 years agoby @narratorFlag

16. Itheone

OMG is Bryan on crack, why the f$@k would he want that overblown, pompous hack in one of his movies.

4 years agoby @itheoneFlag

17. Rufio

i'll take "Bad ideas that I'm glad didn't come to fruition" for $1000, Alex.

4 years agoby @rufioFlag

18. WiseGuy

Good things he's not gonna be in it but I really don't care.

4 years agoby @zgcorleone072Flag

19. Buriblazing

aweful idea bryan singer should screw himself

4 years agoby @buriblazingFlag

IGN reported earlier today that Lautner was in line to play Beast. That would have been really bad.

4 years agoby @ejk1Flag

21. T.Clark

It would be great if he directed Wolverine 2, and remembered why X2 was so f*cking good...among other reasons, Wolverine was a total badass. Times ten.

I wonder who Laughter was going play...a young Colossus springs to mind immediately just for the look, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be able to pull off the accent lol

4 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

22. Remy72883

4 years agoby @remy72883Flag

23. TheNewDrug89

Thank f*cking God.....I'm sure i'm not the only one who thinks this would be horrible.

4 years agoby @thenewdrug89Flag

24. Ryan Moran

take him get him away from that twilight sh*t

4 years agoby @nightwing18Flag

25. dimension1

He is such a bad actor

4 years agoby @dimension1Flag

26. DoubleR0522

4 years agoby @doubler0522Flag

27. SCREENWRITER

I'm glad this didn't work out.

4 years agoby @the-screenwriterFlag