Bryan Cranston Confirms 'Breaking Bad' Season 5 Mid-Season Split

The actor portraying Walter White reveals the first eight episodes will debut this summer, with the final eight episodes airing in 2013.
Bryan Cranston confirms Breaking Bad Season 5 mid-season split
Bryan Cranston confirms Breaking Bad Season 5 mid-season split
Last week, we spoke with Breaking Bad star Betsy Brandt, who indicated the show's fifth and final season may be split into two, eight-episode halves. Series star Bryan Cranston confirmed the mid-season split, revealing the final eight episodes won't air until 2013.

"We're splitting it. We're going to shoot the first eight, then take a four-month production break, then the rest will air next year."

AMC has been coy on the issue, stating the mid-season hiatus is, "one scenario" currently being considered. The network also hasn't announced when Season 5 will debut yet, although it is believed to premiere sometime in July, most likely after Mad Men wraps up its current season.

Production started last week on the show's Season 5 Premiere in New Mexico, and the actor revealed this season starts directly after the Season 4 finale.

"We pick up right where we left off. We're cleaning up the pieces from last season's huge ordeal where Gus Fring was forced to meet his maker. It's not as easy as Walter thought. And as we've discovered over the years, you don't really know who Walter White is. I'm still discovering who he is and I'm trying to allow myself to be open to him going darker and darker. There's physical danger to himself and his family, plus there's the emotional danger due to his anger and hubris. It's about the evil that men do and where that takes him."

The series star is also expected to direct the ninth episode of Breaking Bad Season 5, which will be the first episode back after the production hiatus.

Breaking Bad episode 5.1, "Live Free or Die" stars Bryan Cranston, Anna Gunn, Aaron Paul, Dean Norris, Betsy Brandt, RJ Mitte, Bob Odenkirk, Jonathan Banks and is directed by Michael Slovis.

1. Nicholaus XX

@SherlockHolmes2009 -- Same here.

@bawnian-dexeus -- Indeed. I honestly don't know what I would have done otherwise.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx@dan1 Lucky for us, we got quality stuff to keep us occupied in between

3. SherlockHolmes2009

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx Yea I dont like the idea either but Im just loving the idea of Breaking Bads coming back for 1 more season. Ive never seen Mad Men before so im not sure how fast they get back on AMC

2 years agoby @SherlockHolmes2009Flag

4. Nicholaus XX

@SherlockHolmes2009 -- I'm kinda irritated by the idea, but let's just be glad this isn't the Mad Men case; where they had to wait nearly two years to get it back on air. If this were the case, my head would freakin' explode!

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

5. SherlockHolmes2009

I dont care about a 4 month wait, I WANT BREAKING BAD NOW

2 years agoby @SherlockHolmes2009Flag

6. Nicholaus XX

@dan1 -- I only watched two episodes of Hell On Wheels, so I wouldn't know how that. I watched two or three episodes of Dexter, and it's alright. Ha, yeah, your avatar pretty much sums it up. Game Of Thrones is slowly growing on me, but I still find it painfully overrated.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx I actually got bored with Hell on Wheels. It moved too slow for me. Which surprises me to say, cuz usually I'm a very patient person. Dexter's first 4 seasons are pretty great, then the quality starts going down hill and it feels repetitive. Don't watch The Killing, so I dunno about that one. And as everyone knows, I worship Game of Thrones.

2 years agoby @dan1Flag

8. Nicholaus XX

@dan1 -- Well, at least we have Game Of Thrones - which will make the wait less painful. On the bright side, I have to play catch up with Hell On Wheels, and I may start watching Dexter and The Killing.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

9. Nicholaus XX

*So, their going to make us wait until July, and then when we finally get our 8 episodes, we have to wait another four-months or so? Ugh!*(Statement corrected).

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx I know, man. F*ck....

2 years agoby @dan1Flag