BOX OFFICE PREDICTIONS: Will 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Conquer All at the Box Office?

Or will holdovers such as 'Skyfall' and 'Twilight' provide an incredibly improbable box office upset?

PREDICTED WEEKEND BOX OFFICE:

Sources: Brian Gallagher

1. TheDude1

Estimates so far have The Hobbit coming in at last than predicted. So far it made 37 million on Friday for an estimated 96 million dollar weekend. Either way though it should easily break the opening weekend December record.

2 years agoby @thedude1Flag

2. ROFLitschristian

Hope so. My theater didn't have the biggest Hobbit crows last night because we have three times as many 3D showings as 2D...

2 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

3. thedude-abides

@narrator Ah, I see. I wish that weren't the case, but it's probably better to do that than deviate from the books.

2 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

Well that actually happened in the books, @thedude-abides. They wouldn't have gotten out of that scenario without the Eagles, and we'll see them again in this series. They represent the fighters Tolkien saw overhead, usually coming in to save the ground troops from overwhelming odds. They HAVE to include that, or it'd do Tolkien's vision a disservice. But yes, a lot of retreading (the way Bilbo put the ring on, etc).

2 years agoby @narratorFlag

5. moviegeek

Excellent predictions. Spot on.

2 years agoby @moviegeekFlag

6. thedude-abides

***SPOILERS***

@narrator Haha. Will do.

@bawnian-dexeus I don't just mean with the story arc; there were several instances where they basically copied from the first three films. The most obvious being the deus ex machina of the giant eagles saving the day once again at the end again.

2 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

@narrator Has it? Hmm, how time flies

I agree with that assessment, @bawnian-dexeus. While the Hobbit is world renown, The Lord of the Rings still trumps it in terms of its fanbase and its influence on modern day fantasy. That, coupled with the film obviously being aimed at younger demographics and the mixed reviews from critics, should definitely slow this would-be mammoth down. Still, it'll make it to the top 40 (All Time) World-Wide Box Office, just as Fellowship has topped in the top thirty films, and RotK and Two Towers in the top ten and twenty, respectively.

Anyways, I'll read your review on the film after I'm done writing mine. I don't want any influence but my own on this bad boy. Look forward to it @thedude-abides. My first review in over a year!

2 years agoby @narratorFlag

It should do well domestically, and well enough overseas, but I don't expect it to top the previous films (Ironically)

@thedude-abides@superman81 That was obvious from the start.

Agreed, @thedude-abides. A few too many allusions to Fellowship of the Ring, but that perhaps brought on a much needed nostalgia factor. Like I said to a friend, if Jackson listens to the critiques from the fans in terms of the sequels, and thus tunes down some of the lopsy stuff (mainly Radagast and sh*tty goblins), I feel that the films will only continue to get better as the subject matter darkens.

2 years agoby @narratorFlag

12. thedude-abides

@superman81 Yeah, I'm interested to see where they take it from here.

2 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

13. Superman81

@thedude-abides yea it seemed like a carbon copy but with different characters. But I liked it and I'm intrigued to see the rise of Sauron play out.

2 years agoby @superman81Flag

14. thedude-abides

@superman81 Agreed. That was my biggest complaint. I really enjoyed the film, but I felt there was a LOT of rehash.

2 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

15. The Cryptkeeper: Resurrected

I think Hobbit won't make that much money, but probably still demolish

2 years agoby @cryptFlag

16. Superman81

The Hobbit was good, I was very weary about Jackson dragging it out 3 movies but it will play out nice. This movie has very similar outline as Fellowship almost too similar at times.

2 years agoby @superman81Flag

17. James Bond 1964

F*ck you and good night.

2 years agoby @JamesBond1964Flag

18. James Bond 1964

Hobbit can go suck my hairy balls. F*ck anyone who actully is going to watch that childish crap of Hobbitry.

2 years agoby @JamesBond1964Flag

19. TheDude1

The Hobbit is going to smash the December opening weekend record.

2 years agoby @thedude1Flag