BOX OFFICE PREDICTIONS: Will 'The Hangover Part II' Become the Biggest Comedy of All Time?

Or will the family friendly 'Kung Fu Panda 2' find enough muscle to beat back the Wolf Pack this holiday weekend?

PREDICTED WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

1. Nautical

Its mediocre at best... The Hangover II that is.

3 years agoby @nautical05Flag

I do. I never read all the blah blah blah under the predicted figures. This layout shows me how the movie stacks up with moviewebbers versus Rotten, and the predicted number. All I want to know.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

3. Justhim_sir

Don't like this new straight to the point stuff like the commentary.

3 years agoby @justhim-sirFlag

4. XSSIV

@2movieguys first one was funny as hell... sophomoric comedy to be sure, but a good laugh nonetheless... not sure this one will be as solid.

3 years agoby @xssivFlag

5. Monkeyiron 2.0

how you get screenings anyway

3 years agoby @Monkey-ironFlag

6. Monkeyiron 2.0

Will combine the midnight screenings and the movey they earned on opening weekend so yea angover is number 1

3 years agoby @Monkey-ironFlag

7. CelluloidDreams

I didn't like the 1st "Hangover"...So I will skip it till it reaches the cheap $3.00 dollar theater, or even wait for the $1.580 Tues. night.....!!... The and only reason to see this is Bradley Cooper!

Not thrilled with seeing "Kung Fu Panda 2" either! The 1st was nothing to jump up and down adn shout about!

I wish "The Tree of Life opened this weekend...!!

3 years agoby @2movieguysFlag

8. Superman81

This is awesome news!!! U have to give it up for the Hangover. Never did I think a comedy would make so much money. I can't wait to see the this. and I'm hoping the third does just as well.

3 years agoby @superman81Flag

9. TheDude1

Deadline.com is now saying that The Hangover is on pace for 139 million dollars for its 5 day holiday weekend and Kung Fu Panda 2 is only on pace for 65 million.

3 years agoby @thedude1Flag

10. Cheetoboy

I wonder if Fast Five wilk still be able to break the $200million mark domestically.

3 years agoby @cheetoboyFlag

@diaigma Good man.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

12. Cheetoboy

Hollyreporter said yesterday that Kung Fu Panda2 only grossed $16 million yesterday, but they said should heavily increase today and tomorrow, but probably only do half as good as Hangover2, it's expected to crack $135million by the entire end of the weekend, I wonder how Xmen: First Class will do next week.

3 years agoby @cheetoboyFlag

13. Spongebob_Boxofficepants

I think putting 2 of this powerhouse blockbusters like Hangover 2 & Kung Fu Panda 2 is a bad idea, I mean Hangover was a big surprise hit in 2009, while Panda is a 2008 animated film winner. If we put 2 of these in the same week, do you think the money it will gross will be enough? Yeah, like Alvin & the Chipmunks 2 & Sherlock Holmes, both of them were released on the same week and grossed more than $150m but its not a giant hit ($200m is considered my giant hit on my opinion!) because they were overshadowed by Avatar, plus it was released in the Holidays were most of the people's money that have been saved 2roughout da year are now high enough and the holidays doesn't had many blockbusters but its where mostly the best saved last. I don't really know who will win and what will happen, this might be the biggest match-up this summer, a panda that was imported straight to the dota games! xD or a gang of crude bachelors! Who might win in this battle, and BTW why Hangover 2 got low ratings?

3 years agoby @spongebob-boxofficepantsFlag

14. Jcberry526

i thought 2 was better than the first...

3 years agoby @jcberry526Flag

15. MovieFreakDigital

Hangover 2 was crude/rude/gross and WAY WAY WAY funnier than the first! Yes, despite the similarities in plot/storyline of the first this one succeeds big time! And no doubt it'll be number 1 by the weekend's end. I highly recommend it!

3 years agoby @inhighdefFlag

@youngrizo As for GL, if the budget doubles, they're safe. let's just hope the one hour and forty five minutes are good. And that the extra 9 million have cleaned up the lacking CGI.

@diaigma On Stranger tides is 44 million away from doubling its budget. The international market is soooo going to keep this franchise alive.

18. Youngrizo

All that said though, you know what strikes me as odd? I think the family friendly animated movies though they are making some big bucks this year as usual, except for Mars needs Moms, I think they might actually get their asses handed to them by the other big summer movies... which is rare... though I don't think Green Lantern will make as much money as all those other big movies. I think it'll finish up in the 300 mil region... only because even with all the trailers and tv spots.. all the marketing, there doesn't seem to be as much anticipation for it as there is for the Transformers, Harry Potter, Captain America and X-men films

3 years agoby @youngrizoFlag

19. Youngrizo

Just to put things in Perspective... Fast Five has made more Money than Wall-E did... I have never felt more vindicated in my analysis of a movie's power to generate interest than this one. In fact, so far I have predicted all the flicks right except for Pirates, which I mentioned I expected to not reach my initial earnings prediction after I saw it.. I don't think it'll even get close to the 700 mil I thought it might make. Though there is like a 7 percent chance of it getting there.

Now as much as I'd like to believe that people hated ROTF enough to hurt DOTM... Transformers is garnering so much praise leading up to it's release from all these media events... the hype train is at full speed, if it's as hot as they are making it out to be... my initial expectations of 800/900 mil will be left in the dust... I'm talking Harry Potter numbers right now... A billion at the least... and as a fan I hope I'm right :p

3 years agoby @youngrizoFlag

20. Diaigma

@dan1 - same here. Contributed to Panda "2-wice" already :P

I had no idea Hangover was that popular. The first just came a went, for me.

3 years agoby @diaigmaFlag

21. The Legend of Stoner

kung fu panda was so good!

3 years agoby @stonerFlag

That's nice. I didn't/won't contribute to that number.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

23. Cheetoboy

No sh*t, it will be the #1 movie this weekend, it grossed over $31million yesterday, the biggest for an Rrated comedy, and I'm not worried about what the critics are saying, just because the movie has the somewhat same plot line as the first does not mean it's bad, I'm sure it still has plenty of laughs, from what I've heard this Hangover has more action ane more going on, for some reason a lot of the critics didn't like that, At times I think critics are hard to please.

3 years agoby @cheetoboyFlag

it wouldnt surprise me since the original was so funny but the reviews i am reading put in the medicore range at best. Looks like Bridesmaids is getting some good word of mouth tho.

3 years agoby @skywiseFlag

25. CUPID

Biggest comedy of all time, it could be we'll just have to wait and see.

3 years agoby @cupidFlag

26. Brian

Hangover also has a 3 day jump right? What a scam.

3 years agoby @brianFlag

So far, hangover has the lead, so, we shall see :/