BOX OFFICE PREDICTIONS: Will 'Grown Ups 2' Smash 'Pacific Rim' This Weekend?

Or can 'Despicable Me 2' defy the odds and repeat atop the box office with its second weekend in theaters?

PREDICTED WEEKEND BOX OFFICE:

Sources: Brian Gallagher

1. Sean

@c-a-r-t-m-a-n I saw it a few days ago or so. Its was very good. But I enjoyed Iron Man 3 and The Lone Ranger equally as much as, I enjoyed Pacific Rim which I originally thought i'd enjoy Pacific Rim more :/ .

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

2. Cartman

@themoviefanatic yeah I saw it on SAT 04.00pm show -- im again going this TUE 12.30 noon show...

1 year agoby @c-a-r-t-m-a-nFlag

3. Sean

@c-a-r-t-m-a-n You just saw it very recently ?

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

4. Cartman

@themoviefanatic Iv heard ppl say jaw dropping experience, it literally happened to me... I wish PR smashes the BO..

1 year agoby @c-a-r-t-m-a-nFlag

5. Sean

@c-a-r-t-m-a-n I saw Pacific rim recently as well. Its such an awesome movie!

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

6. Mr.K

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx The only Adam Sandler movies that are good are Punch Drunk Love, Happy Gilmore and Hotel Transylvania. That's it.

1 year agoby @mr-kFlag

7. MillerFarrow

@thedude1 3D and IMAX were great. Highly recommend it.

1 year agoby @MillerFarrowFlag

8. Superman81

Deadline already reported PR dropped some Friday night and is set to finish the weekend with 37M. I think DM2 will pass it Saturday and Sunday

1 year agoby @superman81Flag

9. Ghostman

@thedude1 Seeing as the movie was converted to 3D and not filmed in 3D, I can't vouch for how "great" the conversion is. Although, I would recommend seeing the movie in a large screen format (such as IMAX) due to the 3D's main purpose as being an "immersive feel" to it.

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

10. TheDude1

@ghostman Yeah same here. I was just wondering how the 3D was. Maybe someone else can answer that.

1 year agoby @thedude1Flag

11. Cartman

saw Pacific Rim in IMAX 3d and i have no words,.. ill give it 20/10 score... Pacific Rim will win the B.O. for sure...

1 year agoby @c-a-r-t-m-a-nFlag

12. Ghostman

@thedude1 No. I plan to this weekend/coming week.

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

13. Nicholaus XX

@thedude1 -- Based on my speculation at my theatre, I don't think so. But, if it does make that much -- I'm sure "Grown Ups 2" is going to make noticeably more.

@mr-k -- Last time I checked, he had two or three more favorable comedic flicks, and that was it. I still have yet to see most of Bill Murry's films, but it seems to me like him and Jim Carrey beat the hell out of Adam Sandler when it comes to comedy.

@skywise -- I think to solely rate and base a film's quality on entertainment value is a very misguided and flawed reasoning. I found "Troll 2" to be entertaining, and that's the single worst picture I've ever seen. So, if you look at film as an art form -- entertainment value is going to be near the bottom of your list of qualifications.

Don't get me wrong, as I have "personal" ratings, too. Ratings in which I purely base my ratings on how much I enjoyed it. That being said, I never use those ratings as my primary example, and rarely speak of them. Mostly because people (apparently) cannot differentiate the difference. I told some people I really "liked" "Spring Breakers", but as far as films go, it was just okay. My sister mainly was baffled by the idea, and she hasn't even seen the movie yet. Eh, don't know if it's people in general, or just teens these days.

People are really one-sided, and one-or-the-other about films. They either loved it, or hated it, a lot of the time. Every time I say a movie was okay/decent, people assume I didn't like it. I honestly don't get why, but whatever.

Those are some hilarious examples, indeed. I haven't seen two of the latest Resident Evil movies, but the trailers/tv spots for the latest one made me laugh, a lot. People these days!

@ghostman -- Wow! And to answer your question, it's probably because most people nowadays in fact are "stupid". But, that's not saying (seemingly) intelligent people don't have bad taste in films. I know this one girl who's smart, and she loved the last Scary Movie. I still have yet to see Battlefield, but if it's as bad as everyone tells me it is, then the delay will stay present.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has to deal with people with baffling choices in cinema.

1 year agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

14. TheDude1

@ghostman Have you seen Pacific Rim yet?

1 year agoby @thedude1Flag

15. Ghostman

@thedude1 At first the trailers showcased nothing but the Jaegers and Kaiju battles, but slowly evolved into focusing on the human characters and their struggles to win the battle in the last couple of trailers.

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

16. TheDude1

@ghostman That was the problem here. They kept releasing "final" trailers week after week. They just couldn't hit the correct cords. Maybe it had something to do with Legendary and WB no longer working together. Who knows.

1 year agoby @thedude1Flag

17. Ghostman

@thedude1 Really? I don't think so. They have released trailers and trailers, and I saw more TV spots for this than I did for Grown Ups 2.

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

18. TheDude1

@ghostman To be fair Pacific Rim is said to have some of the worst marketing in awhile. That cannot be helping its box office.

1 year agoby @thedude1Flag

19. Ghostman

@skywise Well, he was correct about it being like Transformers lol. People love garbage, that's all I can say.

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

@ghostman I too have a friend who just loved Battleship. He was so impressed and when I asked him why he told me that "it was like Transformers."

What do you say to that?

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag

21. Ghostman

@skywise@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx I don't get it either. Why does the American demographic LOVE stupid movies? I have friends who go ape sh*t over how "awesome" Taken 2 was, yet they are not interested in seeing Django Unchained, Argo, or Zero Dark Thirty because they look "lame." I asked my friend if he wanted to rent Looper, you know movie he picked out instead? Battleship. That's right...f*cking waste of my time when we could have been watching a far superior more intelligent film than that load of crap stupidity.

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

22. Ghostman

Oh god no, Grown Ups 2 made 16mil on Friday, with Pacific Rim making 14mil.

This is the reason why Hollywood keeps sh*tting out crappy movies, because people keep buying tickets to see them.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore....

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx I am commonly baffled by what the mainstream movie going audience wants to see. I have a very good friend who is constantly trying to sell me on the merits of "funny" movies like the Scary Movie franchise and the "awesomeness" of the Resident Evil series. She is not alone, the numbers and continuous sequels speak for themselves.

I find it all rather depressing. I am no elitist but I know a good movie when I see it and Scary Movie is NOT it.

That is why I need Movieweb and web sites like it. I need to communicate with people who really love movies and are like minded, even if we don't always agree.

Maybe I am something of an elitist because I see film as art. On 2nd or 3rd viewings I am no longer watching for the experience but studying the film for its art. Lighting and shadows, scripting etc. take center stage in my mind.

When trying to interest some of my mainstream audience friends in movies like Looper or Black Swan as you mentioned, they either do not "get it" or are bored and often fall asleep and in the case of Black Swan actually make fun of me for liking the film.

When I asked a certain friend what she found so intriguing about the Resident Evil series her response was simply "the spectacle." I couldn't help thinking that sometimes when defecating it is quite a spectacle...that doesn't mean that I enjoy it. (Sorry, I know that is gross but I'm almost done making my point).

Ok I'm done making my point.

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag

24. TheDude1

New update from Deadline.com. Grown Ups was numbers 1 on Friday with 16.5. Desp*cable Me 2 was number 2 with 15 million, and Pacific Rim was number 3 with 13.5 million. Pacific Rim on pace for 3rd place with 35 to 40 million dollars. Interesting thing is that from the Deadline article is that Pacific Rim is a huge sell at IMAX theaters. So much so that they are running out of tickets.

I personally can't wait to see Pacific Rim tonight. I'm hearing fantastic things about it. Should be a great IMAX experience as well.

1 year agoby @thedude1Flag

25. Mr.K

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx Welcome to the land of mind-bubbling *ssholes that think that Adam Sandler is the "king of comedy movies".

1 year agoby @mr-kFlag

26. moviegeek

Desp*cable Me - 48
    Pacific Rim - 47
    Grown Ups - 41

1 year agoby @moviegeekFlag

27. TheDude1

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx Pacific Rim is making over 30 million and very easily. Will probably get to 50 or at least close to 50 million.

1 year agoby @thedude1Flag

28. Nicholaus XX

@mr-k -- Holy sh*t, was that depressing. People actually like those "movies"?! This one guy told me today how he loved the first Grown Ups, and even called "Movie 43" a "classic movie"! I didn't put much thought into it, figuring as he was under the age of 18, and the fact that he called "Black Swan" stupid -- moments after complimenting the "Max Payne" movie.

Seniors, kids, parents, teenagers, young adults, and families alike are swarming towards "Grown Ups 2", and because of this -- it'll probably warrant a sequel.

1 year agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

29. Mr.K

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx And your right.

1 year agoby @mr-kFlag

30. Nicholaus XX

Based on first-hand speculation, "Grown Ups 2" will outdo "Pacific Rim", by far. "Pacific Rim" will make 30 million, if it's lucky.

@mr-k -- It won't, man. Everyone wants to see "Desp*cable Me 2", and "Grown Ups 2".

1 year agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag