BOX OFFICE BEAT DOWN: 'X-Men: First Class' Takes in $56 Million

'The Hangover Part II' drops 62% in its second weekend, coming in second place with $32.4 million.

WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

Sources: Box Office Mojo

1. Josh

First Class was quite enjoyable! As good as Thor.

3 years agoby @shuabertFlag

2. The First Avenger: JohnnyBlaze

exctly @SomethingMore you take out the francises key player your not gonna do as well.

3 years agoby @johnnyblazetb82Flag

3. bud2fresh

Nice to know THOR did better lol (too all the who thought Thor was going to suck) :) I've seen X Men twice, even paid for my friend because i enjoyed it that much and i was really expecting this to do around 65 or 70 on opening weekend so i'm a little shocked but oh well thats how it goes sometimes.

3 years agoby @bud2freshFlag

4. Cheetoboy

If not a huge hit, regardless Super8 will at least be a moderate box-office hit, just due to the fact that JJ Abrams and Steven Spielberg are doing, and yeah I agree @dan, people love monster movies, even if the cast isn't that well known this could be a movie that makes them known, no one is born a super star.

3 years agoby @cheetoboyFlag

5. Chris

nice

3 years agoby @unknown21Flag

6. Nautical

@narrator Agreed. We gotta get Hangover II outa there!

3 years agoby @nautical05Flag

7. Nautical

Wow Hangover II is till going strong!

3 years agoby @nautical05Flag

While I enjoyed First Class, and hope it owns the number two spot next weekend, I want Super 8 to make it both critically and financially, it being my most anticipated summer flick and all. Who knows, it may be a really close tie, and all parties will be happy? Anything's better than The Hangover Part 2 getting more dough than it already stole from American moviegoers, especially considering it put a slight hurt on KFP:2's overall net. Totally undeserving.

3 years agoby @narratorFlag

9. SomethingMore

First Class got 50 because it has no Wolvrine

3 years agoby @SomethingMoreFlag

10. Spongebob_Boxofficepants

it's still low, people don't have enough excitement for marvel, which is why most Marvel films did not enter the top 50 highest-grossing films of the world!, I hope people would enjoy more on Marvel films and appreciate its awesomeness, but I guess the peeps want something else! X-Men 1st Class was awesome BTW!

3 years agoby @spongebob-boxofficepantsFlag

11. Dark enV

Upsetting to see First Class not do as well as the previous films considering how good it was. I've seen it twice already and I'm thinking about seeing it a third time, I thought it was fantastic. But as many have said it lacks a lot of star power and with good word of mouth it can bounce back and make some good money. Can't wait to see Super 8 next weekend but it'll be similar to how First Class opened I'm sure, probably a bit less.

3 years agoby @dark-envFlag

12. J.P.

@dan1 I meant to tag @bawnian-dexeus

3 years agoby @jptheredskullFlag

@jptheredskull Lol, you just tagged yourself.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

14. J.P.

@dan1@jptheredskull SHE'S STAR POWER BECAUSE SHE WAS IN DADDY DAY CARE!!! boom.

3 years agoby @jptheredskullFlag

@jptheredskull Elle Fanning, LOL. She has fame by association, if anything. No, there are 3 things that will drive people out to see Super 8. Those three things are as follows: Abrams, Spielberg, and wanting to see what this monster is. That is all.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

16. moviegeek

@cupid I don't think Super 8 will do very well :P I'm guessing it won't top $40 million, and star power is again a factor in that.

3 years agoby @moviegeekFlag

@jptheredskull How is she star power?

18. J.P.

@cupid Super 8 has Ell Fanning :P

3 years agoby @jptheredskullFlag

19. Cheetoboy

I think Xmen could beat Super8 next weekend, I don't know because all though it's been getting raved reviews from critics, some people are saying it won't appeal to huge box-office numbers like the previous movies that have been coming out lately, but I think it'll still be a box-office success, regardless, It's like a classic Steven Spielberg version of Cloverfield.

3 years agoby @cheetoboyFlag

20. CUPID

@jptheredskull It could, like @moviegeek said people will talk more about it now an that might help or not but if starpower is a factor then super 8 has who?

3 years agoby @cupidFlag

21. J.P.

@cupid F*CK NO!

3 years agoby @jptheredskullFlag

22. moviegeek

Too bad the returns for xmen aren't as good :( I think the biggest reason is the lack of starpower in this compared to the first four. But I think it will rebound with good word of mouth.

Also upsetting to see Panda falling swiftly! Grr.

3 years agoby @moviegeekFlag

23. ZanyZap

I saw it twice and I may see it again, if someone else buys. Any takers?

3 years agoby @zanyzapFlag

24. JonSpidey07

excellent turnout this weekend
    it feels so great to be back at the movies every weekend this summer :)

3 years agoby @jonspidey07Flag

25. Daveactor7

@cupid good question id say X-men will be second place and Super 8 will be first, but I think Super 8 is gonna make a bit lower then 56 million opening weekend

3 years agoby @daveactor7Flag

26. CUPID

So is it gonna be better than super 8 this weekend?

3 years agoby @cupidFlag

27. The Boondock Saint

I'm sad to see x men onlly made 56, I mean, It's not like it's a failure, but I was hoping that it would be bigger of a success. God knows that it definitely deservevs every penny it makes, and then some! great f*cking flick,man! GREAT f*cking flick!

3 years agoby @combatmadness360Flag

28. Salem6777

i hope x-men makes some more money...but for now this is good success considering it is a slight reboot

3 years agoby @Salem6777Flag

29. Cheetoboy

I know don't know why some experts are making such a big deal out of Xmen: First Class $56million opening, that is still very good. It's a reboot with new characters, and up incoming actors and actresses, But that is very good though and it did slightly out do the first Xmen movie opening weekend. Batman Begins grossed over $47milkion in it's opening weekend and ended up hitting $205millin domestically, so if the good word of mouth carries on about Xmen:First Class(which I'm sure it will), it gross just as much as the first Xmen movie, which was like over $180million, or even more, maybe $200million.

3 years agoby @cheetoboyFlag